conversion help...baby ape hangers to superbike

More
05 Feb 2009 13:57 #262354 by shade_tree
Greetings and thanx in advance for any help offered here.

My '84 KZ1000 LTD wants Superbike handlebars in place of the goofy baby ape hangers it came with. The Superbike bars are on and I have been routing the excess cabling around to find a good fit. It can be done, I am not the first to do this...so I come here to learn from others what works best and what does not.

So far, the cabling seems to be workable, however, if there are better ways than to route extra cable around, then do tell please.

I am having two issues...

first, The master cylinder seems to be designed to accept the angles presented on the baby ape hanger bars, when I put the front brake controls on the Superbike bars, the reservoir mounts at an undesirable angle...I anticipate air in the line later due to the crooked attitude of the thing and the location of the fluid holes within it. So...perhaps there is a more desirable front brake control assembly from a different year or after market that will mount better on the superbike bars?

Next is the blinkers...they wont fit on the bars anymore and there seems to be a number of ways folks have gotten around this...I only want to buy parts once so your input here is valuable and appreciated.

Basically, I am looking for any ideas associated with a handlebar swap and good proven ways of dealing with the challenges that it presents.

thanks again
peace

Keen Kid Kellys Kawasaki KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:10 #262357 by Darryl
I too am changing my bars to superbike bars, they have not shown up in the mail yet.

I decided to start with shorter cables.
I have a KZ1100-D2 1983 but I ordered cables for a KZ1100-A1 1981 they are 3.5 inches shorter.

1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 D2 Spectre

More
05 Feb 2009 14:46 - 05 Feb 2009 16:03 #262362 by shade_tree
Replied by shade_tree on topic conversion help...baby ape hangers to superbike
Thanx for the response Darryl.

I am going to try to put some pics up...bare with me.

Your master cylinder looks like it mey be different than mine in the one pic i saw. In my photos you can see the unpleasant angle that the reservoir winds up at.

My bars took more than six weeks to get from JC Whitney...back order upon back order...they must be a popular item.

I am interested in knowing how your project goes and if there is something that I can help with let me know. I wonder how spendy those cables were? and from where? did you get a clutch cable too? my re-route job is not going to be pretty, but it will work. If your blinkers were mounted on the bars be prepared to find a new way.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 16:03 by shade_tree. Reason: fixed the redundant photo

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
05 Feb 2009 14:51 #262364 by mark1122
You can use any master cly from a model with lower bars, or go with a modern 1. I have both if u need 1 just holler.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
05 Feb 2009 15:57 #262378 by shade_tree
hey mark...thanks for the input and the offer...i posted a picture...same one about 8 times...geez...i messed that up. Any way, how much would you charge for these cylinders and which one would you recommend? I need to be able to mount my mirrors from the brake control assembly.

Do you see any problems associated with the angle of the dangle of the resevoir from the picture?

thanx again
peace

More
05 Feb 2009 16:18 #262379 by gnfreak
for the turn signals, i bought shorter stalks from z1enterprises and ran them thru the headlight bucket.

i stayed w/ the original MC and the wierd routing. so far so good. if i upgrade to SS lines i will probably change out the MC at that point.

Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold
Attachments:

More
05 Feb 2009 16:26 #262381 by shade_tree
that looks good Freak...thanx...so the MC gives no problems mounted cockeyed then? I noticed that you went downward with the brake line...I didn't like that at the time i did it so I took off the banjo fitting, turned it upside down and backwards...it makes a nice smooth loop going upwards then down through the normal factory cable holder goodies. I still have not filled the brake fluid up so I don't know if the reversal there will cause a problem or not.

On those blinkers, you only had to buy the shaft and did not buy a complete blinker set...is that right? You used your original blinkers?

thanx

More
05 Feb 2009 16:32 - 05 Feb 2009 17:17 #262382 by JMKZHI
gnfreak wrote:

for the turn signals, i bought shorter stalks from z1enterprises and ran them thru the headlight bucket...

I did the same thing on my 650-CSR. Z1 has several stems to choose from. Someone on another Kaw forum used some Honda stems. You can use a front mc from just about any Jap bike w 7/8" bars. Get one that's got the dual disk bore. Some of them don't have a mirror orifice. You should be able to easily splice the brake lite switch if need be. There are probably some shorter Kaw throttle cables that'll swap. If the upper brake line is too long & you don't want to guess the needed length, an easy thing to do is to lower the pipe joint there at the forks until the line looks right, then measure the overage - simple (I'm assuming your brake lines are set up similar to the smaller bikes).
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 17:17 by JMKZHI.

More
05 Feb 2009 16:41 #262387 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic conversion help...baby ape hangers to superbike
I have the same situation on my KZ 900 and the MC sits at a strange angle. I have had no problems with the same handle bars. I dont like the look of the stock mirrors so I am thinking about going to bar end mirrors...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
05 Feb 2009 19:16 #262428 by Patton
Imo, the tilted master cylinder increases risk of leaking brake fluid, which is very corrosive (except Dot5).

In the relatively level oem position, fluid is beneath the diaphragm and won't leak even with the cap removed, because it's not oriented in a constant overflow position.

When mounted in tilted position, the fluid is more apt to escape between the cap and reservoir. Diaphragms do go bad and they will leak. Imo, the diaphragm should not be so heavily relied upon to do what it's not designed to do.
The diaphragm may hold the fluid inside for awhile, but sooner or later the fluid will escape and damage whatever finishes it touches (quickly removes paint).

Same reason it's safer to keep refrigerated bottles in the upright position. If the cap leaks, the contents stay put. If stored laying down and the cap leaks . . . you know.

Remember the older bikes (think Brit) with vertically split crankcases that invariably leaked oil. Then the Japanese (mostly) came along with horizonally split crankcases that largely resolved the problem by having most if not all the crankcase oil situated below the crankcase seals.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Feb 2009 19:47 #262442 by shade_tree
Excellent insight and splaination of the MC angle dilemma Patton...not only what you said, but it seems like a potential air bubble in the line as well...I don't want to find a bubble when I need to find a brake...ya know?

I haven't even tried to fit or route the throttle cable yet and forgot to ask you folks about what is good with that on this conversion. So far...i almost feel like I want to put the ape hangers back on and just ride the damn thing...they are so uncomfortable tho.

There is a vintage bike parts yard near me, I heven't been there yet but thanx to all of you I know better what to look for when I go.

It will be a few days before I get a chance to get back to project, but I appreciate all of these great bits of info...maybe this thread will even help out someone else.

peace, and thanx for the continuing support.

Attachments:

More
05 Feb 2009 20:16 #262452 by Patton
There's usually some air space between the fluid surface and the diaphragm, which doesn't enter the brake line unless the reservoir goes dry and allows the air to be sucked through the hole at bottom of the reservoir and into the bore.

Would concur that the tilted position orients the hole whereby it will suck air more quickly than the oem position even with the same volume of fluid in the reservoir.

Like going "dry" because remaining fluid is down at the banjo end instead of evenly distributed over bottom of the reservoir.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD