front end

More
24 Oct 2008 21:01 #243646 by steell
Replied by steell on topic front end
racer54 wrote:

I have no first-hand experience with the USD forks but a few guys who do says the bike is smoother, LOTS more stable at speed and lighter with the new forks. They are much stronger then stock forks while shaving weight. I have bben told that once you ride with a set, you won't want to ride anything else.

The exact same statement could (and does) apply to the conventional style forks on late model bikes :)

A fair comparison would be between GSX750 and GSX750R forks of the same year, although I'm reasonably certain that either one would blow stock KZ forks away. :D

I'm using 99 GSX750 conventional forks on my 750E, and My Nephew has inverted GSXR forks on his 77 KZ650, so whenever we get both bikes completed we'll have to have a front end comparison :)

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2008 21:52 #243660 by PunkRawkKid
Replied by PunkRawkKid on topic front end
steell wrote:

The exact same statement could (and does) apply to the conventional style forks on late model bikes :)

A fair comparison would be between GSX750 and GSX750R forks of the same year, although I'm reasonably certain that either one would blow stock KZ forks away. :D

I'm using 99 GSX750 conventional forks on my 750E, and My Nephew has inverted GSXR forks on his 77 KZ650, so whenever we get both bikes completed we'll have to have a front end comparison :)[/quote]

Is there any issues that your nephew has had putting those forks in?any advice?

More
24 Oct 2008 21:54 #243661 by PunkRawkKid
To compensate for the difference between the kz forks and gsxr forks, I can lower my back end and use shorter shocks right?

More
25 Oct 2008 21:53 #243848 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic front end
racer54 wrote:

I have no first-hand experience with the USD forks but a few guys who do says the bike is smoother, LOTS more stable at speed and lighter with the new forks. They are much stronger then stock forks while shaving weight. I have bben told that once you ride with a set, you won't want to ride anything else.

I (and many of the guys on this forum) have had experience with the USD forks and transitioning over to 17"s; and in short: the above statement hit it right on the money. Do it and you'll never go back...it IS that much better in every aspect. About your lowering of the back end idea: you will be converting over to a late-model 17" on the back, also, right? What is your stock bike? Plug all the factors in, but at some point you need to take care NOT to lower the entire bike too much for fear of ground clearence issues. You're doing it right by putting an entire front clip on...I've done it by piecing it together (erroneously thinking I'd save money:huh: :dry: ) and the last two by swapping clips...do the entire clip...save yourself!:ohmy: :lol:

There are numerous bikes in the 'projects' section that have done probably anything you are considering...check into them. Specifically go look at Solumnruss' bike; it's one of my favorites.

Good luck, welcome, ask questions, post pics.
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
25 Oct 2008 23:47 - 26 Oct 2008 02:23 #243859 by PunkRawkKid
i definitely plan on switching over to a 17 on the back with a disc brake(still have drum rear)...and i dont want to lower the bike too much because of clearance issues like you said...i just want to compensate a little bit for the difference between the stock front and the new front i plan on changing to...

my stock bike is a 1978 KZ650B.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2008 02:23 by PunkRawkKid.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
26 Oct 2008 12:13 #243917 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic front end
What Bad Kaw said, +1.

I'd advise you not to just switch the front end. If you're going to do a suspension swap, do both ends. I don't even want to think about how the bike would handle with a radial up front and a bias ply tire on the back!

Basically, you take the steering stem from the KZ and press it into the lower triple clamp from the gixxer. Hey presto, front end is done.

For the back, you'll need to add some frame cross bracing with a mount for the monoshock swingarm, then work out your shimming and spacing.

Use the search feature, you'll find A LOT of material on this topic.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
26 Oct 2008 14:21 #243948 by PunkRawkKid
i do plan on doing the rear end as soon as possible..but im almost positive that my rear tire is a radial tire.

• guitargeek
  • User
More
26 Oct 2008 14:26 #243950 by guitargeek
PunkRawkKid wrote:

i do plan on doing the rear end as soon as possible..but im almost positive that my rear tire is a radial tire.

What makes you think so? Do you have a stock setup on your bike now? I seriously doubt you have a radial tire on there...

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
26 Oct 2008 14:33 #243952 by PunkRawkKid
i could be wrong...yes it is stock setup.i replaced my rear tire last year and im actually in the tire/suspension clinic of school and i looked at the tire sizing and there isnt any indication of a bias ply tire on the tire.

• guitargeek
  • User
More
26 Oct 2008 17:59 #243976 by guitargeek
PunkRawkKid wrote:

i could be wrong...yes it is stock setup.i replaced my rear tire last year and im actually in the tire/suspension clinic of school and i looked at the tire sizing and there isnt any indication of a bias ply tire on the tire.

What size is it, anyway?

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
26 Oct 2008 19:29 #243992 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic front end
PRK,
Yeah, guitargeek is steering you 'right'; if it's a stock KZ650 it's wearing a bias ply (or at least it certainly SHOULD be). When you change wheels do yourself a favor and weigh everything. I mean when you take the tire off weigh it and then weigh the radial to compare...you'll be stunned and amazed at the repiprocating mass that you'll shave. This is a great projcet, shoot us all some photos up here and let us get to spurring you on!
:)
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
26 Oct 2008 20:00 #243996 by PunkRawkKid
the size is 4.00-18 M/C 64V
i have a metzeler lasertec tire on the rear.

ill definitely get some pics taken in the next day or so so you can see what it is now and when i am able to get everything together to switch it ill take more pics step by step.