Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter

More
20 Oct 2008 12:23 #242845 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Thanks for the info, no so much the pics. Once that is in your mind it is hard to erase! Seriously, I like the vintage look. Thats why I own a KZ. To me a motorcycle is air cooled, large displacement, and naked. That being said I am not opposed to various combinations of modern wheels, forks, etc. The 79 frame seems to be plenty rigid for my riding style. I have hefted a complete rear wheel assembly and it is heavy. How many plunds could swaping front and rear clips? Did anybody do any weight documentation on their swaps?

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 21:13 #242934 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Well, I've done it to 3 bikes now; and I'm in the process of doing it to 2 more. On the first three I was a huge dork and didn't bother to weigh a thing. Now that I've got most all parts sourced for my Z1R and some parts sourced for the CB9/11F I'll be taking all weight measurements. I've done the rear wheel swap on the CB and I don't have the bike in front of me but I do have the stock rear wheel weight with a 50% Dunlop 591, disc, cush-drive and sprocket carrier on at 47lbs. Remember the stock wheel has a bias-ply tire that's way heavier than most RR radial tires, too. I'm guessing the rear wheel that I installed (CB900RR) is in the 35lb range with tire/cush-drive/sprocket/disc assy.

I have all of what I've done so far written down...but I just moved and NOBODY can find the stuff that I have in my garage...not even me!
On my Z1R I'll be replacing the running gear with the suspenders of a '92 FZR1000. All measurements will be taken and posted.

Sorry I got nuthin' for you at this point. If you dig up some of the posts in 'Projects' with guys that did similar modifications you can read what their opinions are on the results. With my 'J' bikes the transformation has been night and day to say the very least; but my Z1R will be more along the lines of your LTD.

-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
21 Oct 2008 03:25 #242985 by stever
Replied by stever on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Start by junking everything you dont need:- centre stand, indicators , grab rail, rear mudguard, stock headlamp brackets etc. Get rid of standard exhaust and replace with 4 into 1. replace stock battery with modern one. You will all ready have lost a lot of weight without great expence.

After that, like power you the more(lightness) you want the more it costs.:laugh:

More
21 Oct 2008 17:13 #243113 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Thanks folks, I've gone the removal route, next is the parts swapping. Let the spending begin.

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle