Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter

More
19 Oct 2008 19:00 #242734 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Ok guys, my bike is a 79 KZ1000LTD. Help me out here. After searching and reading until my head hurts how about some suggestions on the easiest way to swap to lighter wheels, brakes, etc. I have a lathe, mill, and mig welder, but this is my first bike project so keeping it simple would be nice. What I am lacking is access to a bike boneyard to browse and figure out what may or may not fit. I would have to order the parts from salvage yards or if new parts from a performance parts dealer. Missing in so many threads is specific year model of donor bikes and specific info about how well the entire project worked out. Then after reading a long thread about a "successful" swap I see there are shortcomings the owners seem to just overlook. I know on some vintage car forums I have been on they have an archive of most common swaps people do for upgrades. Any specific guidance would be appreciated! Thanks so much. Will Piatt

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2008 19:30 #242737 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Will,
We need to know the "what" on your mods; such as 'what' sort of modification do you want to do. Do you want to maintain the same vintage 'look', so you want similar looking parts? If so, I don't think you're going to save any weight.
If you are considering switching to later-model wheels, forks, and swingarms then there are some simple strategic points to pay attention to.
Front end: the easiest way to address the front end is to replace your front end with an entire 'front clip' (the triple clamp on down); this way all you have to do is modify the clamp-to-be in a way that it bolts on. The remainder of the parts will bolt to your triple tree b/c they're made for it. There are several model of motorcycles that are easier to swap parts from (gixxers, etc...).
Address the rear end of the bike in the same way by installing a 'rear clip' (the swing-arm on back). Again there are pit-falls and considerations to be made. Rear wheel width (if the 'new' rear wheel is significantly wider you will need a spaced front sprocket at a minimum, if you go hog-wild you will need an outboard bearing support plate). Other considerations on the rear-end: single-shock conversion (requires a mount welded to the frame for the top mount for the single rear shock) or dual-shocks (requires rear-shock mounts be welded to the swingarm if it doesn't have them); 520 or 530 chain. One simpl solution to the swingarm is a GS1100E swingarm which is wider-rear-wheel friendly and already has rear-shock mounts; but then you would need to piece the rest of the rear-end together (a catch 21 situation) ... frustrating if you are new to the sport.

ON YOUR SIDE: There are LOTS of bikes in the projects forum that have done all of the above and have documented the progress step-by-step. I have gleened much wisdom from the likes of Solumnrus, plummen, steell, and many other gurus-of-the-lathe/mill/welder. In short: you're in the right place.

-KR

Now: give us an idea of what you want to do with your bike. Remember: it's YOURS...do what you want with it.;)

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
19 Oct 2008 19:45 #242738 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Actually, this is an interesting exercise. I would suspect that just going from a 630 to a 530 setup would reduce rotating mass, but that rear hub is a hefty sucker! Is there a relatively easy swap to a rear wheel without a cush hub? I notice that the rear disk on mine is almost twice as thick as the front. How light can you go with a stock disk? Which loses more weight-thinning or drilling?
And if spirited street riding is what you're looking for, wouldn't ADDING weight through proper gusseting make sense?
While one was it it, how much does the starter weigh? I mean, without getting into serious stuff, how much "easy" weight is there to lose on one of these?

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
19 Oct 2008 21:24 #242747 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
PLUMMEN wrote:

thats easy keep my ol 200 lb fat ass off of it!:laugh:

as cruel as that is..... body weight is a big deal when it's sitting on a 450 pound machine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Oct 2008 21:25 #242748 by bountyhunter
Exitpupil wrote:

How about a list of suggestions to make my 79 KZ1000LTD lighter please.

If it has stock exhausts, they weigh a ton.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Oct 2008 21:48 #242756 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
all i can say is patton your a SICK man i'm definitly not going to be able to eat now and yes that first bike is a zx11 i've never seen one look so tiny.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
19 Oct 2008 22:01 #242762 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
The Fish wrote:

I usually like to start lightening with the unsprung weight by using different calipers and discs. Often times the newer discs and brake calipers(dual discs) weight less than the stock single disc alone. Using newer lighter calipers and lighter discs will not only give better braking, but will also give better handling through less unsprung weight.
I had this set up on my 76 900 for a while and it made a very noticable difference in handling and in braking. Aluminum rims (on a spoked wheel) will also save some weight.

doyou still have the parts from that setup?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 Oct 2008 22:08 #242763 by PLUMMEN
try psychological warfare, put some kz650 emblems on it!works for the fat women on the streetcorners who think they are all that just because the can somehow grease up their size 14 ass into a size 5 dress!:unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blush: :S :woohoo: ive oficially gone blind visualizing that one!:laugh:

More
20 Oct 2008 00:12 #242774 by bountyhunter
PLUMMEN wrote:

try psychological warfare, put some kz650 emblems on it!works for the fat women on the streetcorners who think they are all that just because the can somehow grease up their size 14 ass into a size 5 dress!:unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blush: :S :woohoo: ive oficially gone blind visualizing that one!:laugh:

Remember the classic episode where poor Al Bundy had to squeeze some cows size 14 foot into a size 9 shoe.... and after all the fighting to get her foot in the shoe looked like a stuffed sausage.

She limps a few feet in the shoe, obviously in great pain and utters those immortal words:

"Get me a half size smaller...":woohoo:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Oct 2008 05:29 #242787 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Are you friggin kidding me, a ZX-11!!!!
That's not a small bike... :whistle:

For our Canadian KZ brothers, she'll keep you warm all winter long.... sonsofabitch, she'd be able to keep whole house/igloo warm.

NOTE: Keep fridge full of Moose Head beer for the winter.
Remember, a 2 at 10 is a 10 at 2....

I know, with all the rear modifications going on and with an abundance of old KZ swing arms, strap one of those arms on your ass so you don't fall in to the abliss. :blink:

And Patton: WTF is that.... Is that your pig with a wig?
OMFG, you're one sick bastard... hahahahahahaha

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
20 Oct 2008 09:37 #242819 by PLUMMEN
bountyhunter wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

Remember the classic episode where poor Al Bundy had to squeeze some cows size 14 foot into a size 9 shoe.... and after all the fighting to get her foot in the shoe looked like a stuffed sausage.

She limps a few feet in the shoe, obviously in great pain and utters those immortal words:

"Get me a half size smaller...":woohoo:

Al Bundy and Red from that 70s show hve always been my heroes!:laugh:

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
20 Oct 2008 10:05 #242824 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Suggestions to make KZ1000 lighter
Friend of mine used to call them "all season girls".
Warm in the winter, shady in the summer.