• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
10 Jan 2007 10:14 #104703 by kano
Title's on imported bike's was created by kano

has anyone used GetNewTitle.com and Maine-ly Titles
although price is high and broardway titles dont do anything newer than 35 yrs old so i may have to do this otherwise, dmv want me to get a salvage title which means load up my bike in a truck get a boat reservation sail to mainland then drive to a state inspection place then run the risk of them taking the bike which i have heard happens a lot especially if the cop likes your bike and dosnt like you.

and i realy dont want my eddie lawson replica to have a salvage title the whole idea was to put one of these beauties back on the road but its beginning to wear me down after all these yrs.

Post edited by: kano, at: 2007/01/10 13:15

Post edited by: kano, at: 2007/01/26 10:45

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2007 11:43 #104734 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic title companys use them? trust them?
I'm going through this process now on one of my bikes. I've not done it before but I'm going to use International Title Service

www.its-titles.com/index.htm

Seems to be good and has better prices. From what I gather though you need a bill of sale and insurance on the bike. They'll provide you with registration and a Maine plate good for a year. I believe with those items you go to the DMV to get your title still.

I'm not sure if this is how all title companies work though.

More
11 Jan 2007 09:47 #104927 by ww2willys
Replied by ww2willys on topic title companys use them? trust them?
I used the above mentioned International Title Service last September to get a title for my 1976 kz900. No problems other than I thought the guy on the phone was rude. The first phone call was to verify the dollar amount listed on the website since the info had not been updated for a long time. Sure enough, he told me it was not accurate but did not want to answer any questions. Took my address and a week later got a packet of info in the mail.
I just checked and the website is now up to date with the packet I received. I followed the instructions and about 3 weeks later I got an envelope from STAAB AGENCY. It contained a Maine license plate and and a copy of the registration. I was expecting a title also but didn't know how the process worked. So I called and asked if the registration was all I needed to get a title? He hollered DIDN'T YOU LOOK AT THE PIECE OF PAPER? THAT"S THE REGISTRATION! THAT'S ALL YOU GET AND ALL YOU NEED! I told him thanks , just trying to get all my ducks in a row before going to the courthouse here.
He couldn't believe I wanted to get the title changed over already since the plate was good for a year. It just didn't feel right to leave a Maine plate on while riding here in Texas.
You might look at using Staab Agency since they sent me the title? I remember seeing there website when I was first looking. All in all everything worked fine and I would do it again if needed. Good luck!

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
11 Jan 2007 12:21 #104958 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic title companys use them? trust them?
It might be easiest to sell your bike to a friend. After it's registered in his state, he may tire of owning it and sell it back to you. It all depends on what MA requires for registration and title.

-Duck

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jan 2007 16:37 #107733 by kano
Replied by kano on topic title companys use them? trust them?
well the title company cant help it seems
they have changed their rules.

now they can only send me a title from main with a plate.

but they cant until i send them insurance.

i cant get insurance in this state (ma) because my bike isn't registered.

i cant register my bike because i don't have a title!

so i think i am just going to hang myself from the nearest tree in the yard when the wife go's to work!

More
24 Jan 2007 05:31 #107816 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic title companys use them? trust them?
have you tried esurance.com for insurance?

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jan 2007 05:44 #107817 by kano
Currently, Esurance does not offer insurance in your state.

is what i get from most online places.

seems i live in a bad state but this dosn't help me.
i really need this title too as i found a local bike shop who want to hire me and i need to get the bike on the road so i can get this job and move out of my in laws.

if i can just find some company to insure bike on its vin number i can use international title but they cant help until i have insurance.

just frustrating is all i may have to take the bike off island to a salvage inspection place run by the cops but to be honest ive heard so many bad story's from fellow bikers about this and confiscated bikes it scares me.
plus i don't really want salvage on my title for obvious reasons.

Post edited by: kano, at: 2007/01/24 08:50

More
24 Jan 2007 06:29 #107830 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic title companys use them? trust them?
Check out this WebBike World link for insurance companies. I used GMAC insurance. I did not need to have my bike registered before getting insurance. That seems backwards to me. In Oklahoma you need insurance BEFORE you can get a registration. I did not need to show GMAC I had a title.

www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-insurance/

Oklahoma has a program called Title 42. It's named after a section of code that was created to allow salvage companies, storage yards, and tow truck companies take legal possesion of abandoned vehicles. I bet Mass. has something similiar. Connecticut has one if I recall, all you needed was a bill of sale.
There has to be a way to get a title on a vehicle older than 10-15 years old that isn't a salvage title. How do all the older classic cars get plates to drive around on? I don't think any of them had a title when they were registered at Motor Vehicle. Get in touch with classic car clubs and ask what they have to do to get a title and insurance. Someone knows, you just haven't found them yet. Contact the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club and ask them. Find any bike forum based in Massachusetts and ask those members too.

I would try the weblink and get a company that handles MA for your insurance card, then start investigating MA title laws a bit deeper. You can get one, I'm sure of it. Living on an island is harder logistically, but you will get there.
Write back when you find out more.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/01/24 09:43

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2007 05:59 #108045 by kano
well we will see what happens,
ive filled out several online applications for insurance.
just waiting to here back,
did call a title company and they said taking the title application to the mass insurance company should be enough,
no word back on that though i guess ill have to be patient.
not my strong point i can tell you! "just wanna ride and be free ya know."

More
25 Jan 2007 06:03 #108047 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic title companys use them? trust them?
I neglected to say that in Oklahoma the Title 42 program can be used by the average guy to get his untitled project bike legal. It is not just for business's like tow companies. Many friends here go throught the process to make their old classics legal. In fact I believe it is the only way to get a title after it has been lost and the vehicle no longer shows up in the database.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2007 06:23 #108051 by kano
wish i lived there dude i really do lol.
back in the uk i didn't care would ride anyway
but here i could be deported im sure for being a rebel lol.
do i have to actually live in oklahoma to do this?

• kano
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2007 06:46 #108053 by kano
one of the guys who worked on a game with me as a coder
lives in oklahoma in oklahoma city.
i just called and left a message
maybe he could do this for me unless the laws have changed in his state too regarding Title 42 program.