• Page:

TOPIC:

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 01:43 #870832

• Keith23
  • Keith23's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Mr Wookie
ok here is the story. I have had the bike for a couple of months. Bought it from the original owner with 30K miles. It has been very well taken care of. My daily driver until recently. I was going out to see some friends and had to stop to open my gate and I put the kickstand down in some soft dirt and when I got off it fell over. It was on its left side for 30 seconds at the most. It was still running when I stood it up. I shut it off to get the gate open and when I tried to crank it up it would not crank. I thought possibly gas had ran into the cylinder head so I just let it sit for about a half hour and tried again with no luck. The starter was engaging but it didn’t crank. I attempted to roll start it with no success. I then noticed the neutral light was not coming on so I charged the battery and tried again to to get it running with no luck.  I fu#ked around with it for a couple of days and then took it to a reputable shop  that only works on vintage Jap bikes. They called me and said that it was the starter clutch and quoted 4 grand to fix it. I of course had to decline and went and picked it up. I then looked online to see if I could figure it out. The fuse that was blown was the horn/ignition which i replaced hoping it would crank but it would not. So I have been trying to troubleshoot it and checked to see if it was getting a spark to the plugs and it was not. So there I have it I’m thinking it is something simple but have been unable to get her going again. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 01:51 #870833

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1764
OK - Do you have a voltmeter and are you comfortable using it ? if yes then I will put together a test plan for you later

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 02:30 #870834

• Keith23
  • User
Yes. Thanks 

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 06:32 #870838

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
While Wookie58 is putting the plan together, I would like to get a clarification of terms, please.

You wrote that the starter motor is turning, but the engine will not crank, right?

Do you mean that the starter motor is turning freely, like there is no resistance and nothing else in the engine is moving, or do you mean that the starter motor is turning the crankshaft and related parts, but the engine refuses to start?
I know this may seem an odd question, but when trying to diagnose a problem remotely, it is crucial that we are all on the same page with terms.

If the starter motor is turning, but nothing else is moving, the starter clutch will be on the short list of possible culprits.

If the starter motor is indeed turning the crankshaft, then the starter clutch will not be on the list at all. The problem at this point will be electrical or fuel related.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 10:23 #870849

• Keith23
  • User
TexasKZ
yes it appears that crankshaft is turning as well as the starter motor. The carbs are brand new and I only run non ethanol gas. I’m thinking it’s electric. Wouldn’t I still get a spark to the plugs even if the starter wasn’t working properly?  I should be able to roll start the bike if I had fire, correct?

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 11:55 #870853

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1764
Ok I have included test plans for the starter and ign - all testing should be done on a live circuit with everything connected (except resistance measurements) WARNING: don't leave the ignition on without the engine running for prolonged periods or you will burn out your coils 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 22 Jul 2022 16:46 #870866

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050

TexasKZ
yes it appears that crankshaft is turning as well as the starter motor. The carbs are brand new and I only run non ethanol gas. I’m thinking it’s electric. Wouldn’t I still get a spark to the plugs even if the starter wasn’t working properly?  I should be able to roll start the bike if I had fire, correct?
Probably. If the battery is weak, it may not have enough poop to run the starter and fire the ignition, but I would work on Wookie58’s diagnostics before worrying about other possibilities.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

83 KZ 750 LTD neutral light brake light and horn 23 Jul 2022 05:50 #870888

• Keith23
  • User
Thank you both for your assistance I am hoping to get this figured out today. Wookie thanks for the very easy to follow and detailed instructions. I will keep you posted ☮️

• Page: