Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 07:53 #870392

• Roach6111
  • Roach6111's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I came into some money and bought new dyna coils for this thing. Once again little better but still sluggish. 

What in the world am I missing?

I just got my 80 kz750 taken care of and she hauls ass! I figured the 650 would be somewhat like her. It's like she has an anchor behind her.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 08:38 #870394

• Roach6111
  • User
So I put new plugs in a few test rides back and haven't looked at them till now.

So 1 and 4 are definitely lean looking!
and 2 and 3 look like they have never been used.

So something must be going on now with 2 and 3...

It's something to go on!

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 09:17 #870402

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1771
It certainly looks like your problem is of your own making given that it is now worse after swopping out the original bad coil than it was before you started. Time to go back over everything that you have done   Didn't your mum always say "don't scratch that rash, you'll make it worse!" 

Last edit: by Wookie58.

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 10:36 #870407

• Roach6111
  • User
Warning: Spoiler!
Hahah 100%! 

I noticed that the green wire to the coil is always hot. I checked the black on the other coil and it gets hot on and off as I kick the kicker. The green just stays hot. I checked the points per the manual and they where off a little for sure. So I adjusted them. It's still the same. I did unplug the condensers once to test. Is it possible I damaged them?

So when the points have a gap I have power to coil (black wire) and when the gap closes i.e. points are touching I have no power (black wire)

This is not the case for the green wire. Even when I see the gap closes I have power. Or opened I still have power to the green wire.

Last edit: by Roach6111. Reason: Forgot information

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 11:16 #870410

• Wookie58

Warning: Spoiler!
Hahah 100%! 

I noticed that the green wire to the coil is always hot. I checked the black on the other coil and it gets hot on and off as I kick the kicker. The green just stays hot. I checked the points per the manual and they where off a little for sure. So I adjusted them. It's still the same. I did unplug the condensers once to test. Is it possible I damaged them?

So when the points have a gap I have power to coil (black wire) and when the gap closes i.e. points are touching I have no power (black wire)

This is not the case for the green wire. Even when I see the gap closes I have power. Or opened I still have power to the green wire.
This really is fantastic news "honestly" - you have voltage on the switched side of the coils when the points are open, when they close it goes to earth (which is what makes it spark) the fact that you have permanent ignition voltage on the green means that between the coil and the points you have an "open circuit" (disconnected or broken wire - poss condenser fault) so only one coil is firing which would indeed be an anchor   WARNING: be careful how long you power the coils without the engine running or you will burn out the new ones
How much voltage do you have on the green wire (the fact that it is getting hot would suggest that there is current flowing so it may be a partial short to ground)

Last edit: by Wookie58.

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 12:10 #870413

• Roach6111
  • User
Woohoo! 

I realized that the dyna pickups for the KZ750 are the same for the KZ650. 

I switched them and bam! She is a rocket now! So I'm just going to order another one. What a journey! Thanks all!!

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 12:27 #870414

• Wookie58
Glad to help, think how much you have learnt in the last week 

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 15:05 #870421

• Roach6111
  • User
Oh man! You said a mouthful!

New coils less power 15 Jul 2022 16:16 #870423

• Wookie58

Oh man! You said a mouthful!

?????