Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ditching the points 01 Jul 2021 10:55 #851014

• Pagala
  • Pagala's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I've got a KZ440. It has points ignition which works, and is in good condition.

Points systems require maintenance, and occasional replacement. Every time you do it, you've got to get on your knees to statically time it again by rotating the backing plate.

I was thinking, I like the simplicity of this system, but it would be nice to do away with the need to check the points periodically. I know you can swap it out for a Dyna S system, or a similar system from Power Arc. There might be one or two other companies offering a complete electronic ignition system too.

However, what about something like this:
www.amazon.co.uk/Qiilu-Electronic-Igniti...793031_t1_B08P79PGWZ

Classic car people use stuff like this, apparently. The advantage is, you get to keep your weights-and-springs ATU system. You can still time it using a strobe light. It's still a very basic system. All it does is replace the actual points (which wear down over time) with this sort of magnetic induction thing, which breaks the contact and makes the spark instead of the points.

Has anyone done this, and what you think?

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ditching the points 01 Jul 2021 11:08 #851015

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Points are reliable, you can fix them on the side of the road, when electronic parts fail you have to replace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Ditching the points 02 Jul 2021 06:15 #851088

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
That kit doesn't seem to have an igniter or ignition control module, so you'd also have to get that.

Pamco, Martek & Apogee are a few aftermarket ignition systems, but I don't know anything about them nor what's available.

Here's a topic for setting the points.  See reply by 650ed which some say is the easiest way to set the points.
www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/60...ech-in-centex#736046

Ditching the points 02 Jul 2021 07:15 #851093

• Pagala
  • User
That's just a circle-jerk.

If I couldn't set the points - a very simple task - then I'd have no business getting myself this project bike.

I've done lots to it, I've converted the fuelling system to a 2-into-1 with Mikuni VM34, I've replaced the head, etc. And if you read my post again, you will see that I mentioned that the bike does work. This isn't my first KZ project - I've done a Z200 and a Z550-type bike before, as well.

The points are set perfectly on this bike. To be fair, they were good when I got it, and I've put them back on perfectly as well. I've replaced the springs in the ATU, so it was necessary to put the points plate back on.

Points work by breaking the contact at the firing mark, causing a voltage spike in the coils, which causes a spark to arc across the plug electrodes.

The product I linked to (again, read MY post this time) apparently just replaces the points with a system that isn't a spring-loaded metal-on-metal switch. As far as I know. Therefore it wouldn't need an electronic igniter. I already mentioned I was aware of Power Arc and Dyna, and I'm not interested in those full ignition systems or equivalent.

So, are you aware of anyone replacing their points in this way? No? OK.

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶

Ditching the points 02 Jul 2021 10:15 #851105

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Any point-substitute system needs a sensor and an igniter circuit.  The question is whether they are built into one package or are separate.  The factory electronic system uses a sensor near the crank, and a remote igniter.  The Dyna S uses a sensor near the crank with an igniter built into the sensor package.

Both the factory system and the Dyna S system use the advancer and springs like a points system.

The listing in the original post does not exactly say whether it is simply a sensor or if it includes the igniter built-in.  So if it's just a sensor, then you would need an igniter made for that type of sensor.  If it includes the igniter (built into the sensor package) then it should be all you need.  But then it would basically be the same thing as a single Dyna S module.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pagala

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Ditching the points 02 Jul 2021 10:31 #851106

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Loudhvx has successfully experimented with some ignition mods for these bikes. Not exactly what you are proposing but worth looking at. check out this thread > kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/612089-76...onic-ignition#830758

I know you said you weren't interested with a power arc system, but as someone who has two power arc systems on kz750s I think they are completely worth the cost. Not only do you get the benefit of reliability, you also get a better ignition curve. The factory ignition curve was fairly conservative on the twins (more so on the big twin), its incredible what a spicy curve does to wake up these engines. Also if you want to go deeper you can get a cable to connect to your computer to manipulate the curve to your liking. I plan on installing a MAP sensor so the ignition will change between different curves depending on load.

EDIT: looks like Loudhvx beat me here while i was typing a reply!

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Ditching the points 02 Jul 2021 10:31 #851107

• Pagala
  • User
That's interesting about the Dyna.

I know the Power Arc system has a system which omits the ATU.
It apparently has a computer system with memory, and detects RPM and adjusts ignition advance accordingly.

Ditching the points 02 Jul 2021 10:38 #851109

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
One downside of the Power arc system is you loose the mechanical advancer, which isn't a big deal but what it means is you also loose the ability to turn the engine over from the ignition side of the crank. On my next build with the power arc system I plan on modifying the stock advancer so it will hold the timing wheel and retain the 17mm nut to turn the engine over. I have been just using the kickstarter to turn the engine over when checking valves, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Pagala

• Page: