• Page:

TOPIC:

Wiring 03 Jun 2020 15:26 #827238

• Aaronsean
  • Aaronsean's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone. My first post.
I have a 1977 kz650 that has no wiring harness at all nor electronics- only coils.
I am looking to do a minimal wiring harness for it and would like to ask for advice in doing so.
Is there a diagram that could be followed for this?
Also what electronics are needed? I know it will need a rectifier , a regulator, starter solenoid and battery. But I am not familiar with the kz650 as this one is my first.
Thank you very much.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wiring 03 Jun 2020 16:01 #827241

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Look on page 10 of the mattylight thread.

There is a 77 650 B1 for Brian L. You can use that diagram.
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/17274...ght?start=144#379929

OregonMotorcycleParts.com has the regulator and rectifier you need. It's a one-year only system for the 1977 Kz650. It might work on other Kz models, but only the 1977 year for Kz650 (B1 and C1). They also have a combo unit but it's really just the two parts in a single package. The wire colors will still be the same as if it had separate units. (The ground wires might be combined into a single wire.)

Earlier on the same mattylight page, there is another 77 650 diagram, but that has a charging system from a later year and an aftermarket ignition system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaronsean

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Wiring 04 Jun 2020 00:26 #827270

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
This might give you some ideas;

www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-wiring
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aaronsean

Wiring 06 Jun 2020 08:39 #827437

• Aaronsean
  • User
I made a mistake, the bike is a 1978.

Wiring 06 Jun 2020 12:23 #827454

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
In that case, the main difference would be the charging system. The 1978 Kz650 would have a single-phase, permanent-magnet alternator and a combination regulator/rectifier. The reg/rec will not have a dedicated brown-wire sense-line. So the reg/rec has only 4 wires... two yellows, a red/white, and a black. Black is ground. Red/white is output. The yellows are the connection to the stator.

Here is a 1978 Kz650 with Dyna S ignition.
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/172746-19...ght?start=420#783836

Here are two different 1979 Kz650 diagrams... one with electric start, one without. Both with points.
There is also a 1978 Kz650 later on that page.
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/172746-19...ght?start=204#457994

Wiring 06 Jun 2020 13:55 #827468

• Aaronsean
  • User
ISeems easy enough.
I found no points plate or anything else in there once I took off the points cover.
What is missing in this photo Besides the points plate?
Where would I get the parts? Ebay?
This was a surprise.
Attachments:

Wiring 06 Jun 2020 17:49 #827496

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
You are missing the advancer unit with the cam lobe for the points actuation. Also missing the timing plate with points mounted to it. That would also have condensers mounted to it.

You can use a Dyna S ignition in place of the timing plate and points and condensers. This will put extra load on the charging system, so you would want to make sure the charging system is handling the load once it's running. If not, then you can usually just convert the charging system to a later 3-phase system. That requires a 3-phase reg/rec (about $10 used) and a 3-phase stator from a later 650 or 750-four.

Wiring 07 Jun 2020 12:14 #827528

• Aaronsean
  • User
If I go with an electronic ignition and skip the points plate, would you mind giving me a list of items I will need to complete this ignition compartment?
I will try to shop on Ebay for the parts.
I picked up this bike but never had a kz650 before and am a little unfamiliar with them. The PO was making a cafe racer out of it. Tthe mileage is unknown.
Thanks for your knowledge.

Wiring 07 Jun 2020 16:52 #827548

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
A Dyna S ignition comes with a new timing plate and pickups/igniters mounted to it. It also comes with the rotor, and necessary wiring.

www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-s-ignition-ds...kz550-kz650-750.html

But you have to provide the advancer unit. This would have been on the bike from the factory. The advancer unit would have a cam-lobe rotor to actuate the points, but you won't need that. The Dyna S comes with a magnetic rotor to be used in place of the cam-lobe rotor.

All you need besides the Dyna S unit described above, are some coils and plug wires. The factory points-coils will work if they are in good working order, otherwise you will want to order a pair of 4-ohm points-coils or 3-ohm Dyna coils (they are usually green in color).

As mentioned, the Dyna S uses more power than the stock points ignition so you will want to make sure the charging system is working properly. You can't really do that until the bike is running, unfortunately. But if the charging system is weak, there are some relatively easy solutions which are not too expensive.

• Page: