Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 16:43 #804114

• oldie
  • oldie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all, anyone have experience with 82 kz250 and cdi module and pickup coil. I have no spark on this beast. I purchased new replacement cdi module as well as pickup coil. Replacement pickup coil doesn't look like original. Apparently there may be a specific gap for pickup coils. I cant find any specs for this, does anyone have any information on this. The original as well as the replacement pickip coil have no elongsted holes for any adjustment so...
Gettin current to ignition coil, and to cdi so if pickup coil is doing what it's supposed to i should be getting spark whrn cranking but I don't. Even replaced spark plug csp as it was determined to be faulty as well.
I'm stumped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 17:14 #804117

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Well, for one thing your bike doesn't use a CDI. Do you have a factory manual?

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 17:19 #804118

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 17:24 #804119

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Definitely check the manual that 650Ed linked. A battery load test will be one of the first things to check. Even a slightly weak battery may not have enough power to turn the starter and power the ignition.
Are you certain that the old parts were faulty?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 18:35 #804121

• oldie
  • User
Hi Ed, excuse me yes this bike does use and has a cdi ignition, and a pickup coil. Yes I have a Kawasaki factory authrorized reproduction service manual butdoesnt have much abour specs for pickup coils.

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 20:29 #804125

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

oldie wrote: Hi Ed, excuse me yes this bike does use and has a cdi ignition, and a pickup coil. Yes I have a Kawasaki factory authrorized reproduction service manual butdoesnt have much abour specs for pickup coils.

An ignitor is not a CDI. The electrical principal between them is different. Dirt bikes typically (the older ones anyway) use CDI's.

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 21:00 #804127

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Many Kawasaki models with a stock points ignition later evolved to an electronic ignition that included pick-up coils under the points cover together with a separate part called an I C Igniter which was located somewhere else such as underneath a side cover.

The pick-up coils have a pointer similar to the following:

The I C Igniter looks something like the following:

Not saying that it happened here, but sometimes a Kawasaki electronic ignition (pick-up coils and igniter) is mistaken for a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) or mistakenly referred to as a CDI.

I'm unaware of a stock Kawasaki street model in the 1982 era that came with a CDI, but maybe the bike came with a points ignition that's been replaced with a Kawasaki electronic ignition (pick-up coils and igniter); or possibly an aftermarket CDI was available and installed on the bike at hand; or maybe a CDI from some other Kawasaki model was installed on the bike at hand.

I think it would be helpful if you could you post a pic of the ignition that's reported as faulty and a pic of the new but non-matching replacement.

Meanwhile, I don 't see any reference in the posted Factory Service Manual to "CDI" or to "Capacitor Discharge Ignition."

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 21:38 #804131

• oldie
  • User
Well sorry dunno what youre callin it but it doesnt say igniter on the part like most igniters do.

CDI and pickup coils 18 May 2019 21:38 #804132

• oldie
  • User
Says ignition unit??

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 07:09 #804145

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
oldie,
I went into your profile and pulled some of your older posts. It seems like you have more than one thread on this same topic. It's best to stay with one thread when trying to fix a problem because the information gets diluted and/or repeated. At any rate, it seems you have a single cylinder 250 correct? If so this bike seems pretty rare, in the USA anyway. I can't find any information about a 1982 model 250 single at all. Partzilla shows a 1980 model but that bike used points.
Did you find/purchase a factory Kawasaki manual for your bike? If so, what does it say about the ignition? In your older thread it mentions that you purchased aftermarket ignition parts so frankly, that throws a red flag right there. They may be okay but often times they are generic parts that may or may not work with your specific bike.

Last edit: by Nessism.

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 07:21 #804150

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
By oldie: says ignition unit??

Potato, potahto. At Partzilla there is an 81 KZ250D listed with electronic ignition & it has an igniter. Kawasaki uses that term, but Hitachi actually makes the part & labels it as an Ignition Unit, but they're the same thing. Also, Hitachi uses a different part number. Kawasaki uses their own part numbers.

MANUAL. There is a Z250 KZ305 Kawasaki pdf available here on KZR that covers several Z250 models. Green cover 1979-82.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 07:25 #804152

• oldie
  • User
Hi nessism, sorry about all the posts .
I try my best to navigate the forum.
Yes this is a 1982/82 kawasaki 250 single. Vin year on frame indicates 12/81 but title shows 1982. It has an electronic ignition using (whatever its called) cdi module, ignition unit, (no points) and a pickup coil.
Yes I purchased an aftermarket (ditect replacement ignotion unit/cdi module) as originsl are either not availbale or too pricey. I also purchased an authorized factory reproduction of the kawasaki service manual .
Of course some information may not be included as some may be also common knowledge in the trade and therefore not mentioned.
This manual includes several electrical schematics (to determine my exact model isnt easy).
Also regarding the pickup coil the replacement I purchased was from a local cycle shop although it doest look exactly like the original.
Im racking my brains trying to get spark and seens im stumped.
Either the replacement pickup coil isnt in its fixed position close enough to the magnet passing by it or the cdi module or wiring isnt correct and I have the pin out for the replacement module so I can't go wrong there.