Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 07:27 #804153

• oldie
  • oldie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Exactly. Still tryin to obtain spark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 08:48 #804157

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2683
You keep saying CDI module but does the Kawasaki manual make specific mention of the ignition employing the Capacitive Discharge Ignition principle? If it doesn't, the system is not a CDI and the aftermarket module you bought may not be appropriate for the system. Honestly, we need way more information in order to offer help. Can you post up some screenshots of the factory manual sections related to the ignition? Also the wiring diagram? And more info is needed on the ignition box you are using along with some photos of both the original and the replacement. Spend some time and provide us any and all information you have and then maybe we can offer more help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldie

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 09:12 #804161

• oldie
  • User
Hi well I hear ya but no matter what this is an electtonic ignition system (no points) whatever one is gonna call it. I've attempted to send pics of replacement module (white plug connector) and original Hitachi module and a wiring diagram
Attachments:

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 09:14 #804162

• oldie
  • User
There is no such device such as is posted here with igniter stamped on it. I know the difference in appareance whether they be the same in functionality or not.

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 09:30 #804165

• oldie
  • User
As you may see there's a number on this PU 100-01. The replacemrnt pick up coil supplied by my local cycle shop is similar but appears different. There is one pickup coil I've seen for sale on Ebay new but theure asking a ridiculous price of $135 which us way too expensive but it's appearsnce in tge picture is the same as the one I've attached here?
This one gas no resistance reading while the replacement one had around 500Ohms.
And also as you may see the securement holes are fixed no means for airgap adjustment.
Manual doesnt make any reference to airgap specs either. As I said before factory authorized service manusls often dont have extra information necessary for DIY's as some information made be trade related and therefore unneccsary in service manuals.
When I contemplated ordering this manual i obtqined a part number feom the one the local cycle shop had to compare for this specific information.
In that schematic I'm trying to determine what the symbol is where that red leg from the pickup coil nodes off the right and down. What the heck does that termiate at or for ?
Attachments:

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 09:40 #804166

• oldie
  • User
This is the extent of the information on the ignition electrical system

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 11:06 #804175

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
I'm not sure what to tell you. Personally, I'd install all the OEM parts back and then go through the troubleshooting guidelines in the manual. It looks like the kill switch has a direct path to the ignition circuit so that's something to check. The IC ignition box has spark advance built in which suggests is pretty specific to the application. I'm frankly surprised that a company would make a cheap replacement since similar parts are not available for any other KZ bike.

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 11:20 #804176

• oldie
  • User
Check out mayspare.com

CDI and pickup coils 19 May 2019 11:46 #804178

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe module you bought is available on ebay for $21.78 shipped. They list three Kawasaki part numbers it replaces. I checked those part numbers and they come up as Ignitors. Anyway, did you check the kill switch. Did you check to make sure the coil has voltage. Ignitor has voltage? When the ignition pick up coil makes contact there will be an electrical pulse that you may want to try to measure. Do the simple checks first and go from there.

CDI and pickup coils 20 May 2019 06:23 #804227

• oldie
  • User
Yes you're probably correct. I'm mistaking the electronic ignition unit for a cdi module and related components such as the inductive pickup coil.

CDI and pickup coils 20 May 2019 06:30 #804228

• oldie
  • User
Hi yes exactly. Thats pretty much the same module I purchased which was listed as a direct replacement for the oem one. They evfn sent me the pinout for it. I have voltage to both sides of ignition coil, and voltsge going into ignition module. I cant get a reading of any dort from the pickup coil while cranking, which I believe to be the issue . But no where do I have any value to measure by. The replacement pickup coul is slightly different than the oem and was supplied by a local cycle shop.
As I said also I found the spsrk plug cap to be defective as well so have replaced it as well.
I'll have to wait till this week/weekend when I get back home to remove side cover and take a pic of this replacement pickup xoul to tru and illustrate the physical appearamce and differences.

CDI and pickup coils 20 May 2019 06:36 #804230

• oldie
  • User
Yes have voltage at ignition coil and +ve wire going into ignition module. Im suspecting the replacement pickup coil (which has a resistance reading of 500 Ohms) is not witjin correct air gap in order to produce a sufficient impulse. But here again I dont have sny ingorndtion on the correct air gap assuming the original oem pickup coil is being used.
Guess ill have to temporarily reinstall the oem pickup coil and attempt to obtain its air gap measurement then install replacement and check to compare??