Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 16 Mar 2019 21:01 #800463

• Dirtracer115
  • Dirtracer115's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been searching for this for hours now and I don't know if I'm not searching the right words or if I am suffering from a brain fart and cant get my head wrapped around the concept.

In a troubleshooting thread i made last week i determined a pickup coil seems to be bad and causing an intermittent drop of cylinders 1&4.

Now i am trying to get the parts i need to replace it. A Dyna S module seems to be my only option so i ordered one to try to get it asap. Like the true procrastinator i am i just got around to checking the resistance on my coils and realized my factory coils will not work so i will have to order some 3+ ohm coils as well.

So here is where i need someone with experience to blow my mind. I cant wrap my head around exactly how the ignitor(ignition control module? i wouldn't be surprised if my terminology is why i am finding it difficult to find an explanation for this) works in the ignition. I have seen several wiring diagrams that seem to show the ignitor is not needed with the dyna s pickups and coils but those diagrams seem to be for a factory points system. My 81 Kz1100 came with a factory electronic ignition and already has pickup coils. So when i get all these parts in do i wire it up to the supplied diagram or do i need to incorporate the ignitor?

If someone is feeling super generous i would love a good reference or explanation of what the ignitor does and why it is required or not on the dyna s system. For whatever reason i am having a really hard time wrapping my head around the ignitor's purpose.

Why does electronic ignition need it but points dont? do points need something similar as well and im just having a dense moment? but then why is it unnecessary on the dyna system but necessary on factory EI?! I'm so confused lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 00:45 #800467

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632
The Dynatek 2000 DDK2-1 kit is a great setup. It replaces the original ignition components and abandons the ignitor.
Not sure about the Dyna S
:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 06:12 #800472

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, the dyna s will require higher resistance coils.

The dyna s is a complete unit and does not use the factory igniter at all. The igniter contains the drivers for the coil control circuits. The dyna s incorporates them into the pickup assembly whereas the factory uses a separate igniter. Heat and vibration are not kind to electronics, so its safer to have a separate igniter, but the dyna s is more convenient, and seems to have a pretty good reliability record.

Keeping the above in mind, you should keep the old stuff because its actually more efficient than the dyna s and is safer. Accidentally leaving the ignition powered up can result in melted coils with the dyna s, which does not happen with the factory unit.

You can replace the defective pickup with one from another unit if you can find someone selling it separate or as a parts assembly (due to a single bad pickup). You can also use a 2-3 pickup to replace a 1-4 pickup and vice versa.

The dyna s will be more readily available, though, so it is definitely more convenient.

Reliability-wise, the years on kzrider has shown the factory units seem more reliable than the dyna s, but 40 years will take a toll. ... not saying there is any reliability problem with the dyna s, but I would still prefer the factory system.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 06:13 #800473

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Will the Dyna S even fit?
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 06:17 #800474

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

SWest wrote: Will the Dyna S even fit?
Steve

good question. On the smaller bikes, they made the newer engines capable of using the older systems. I am only assuming the same is true of the bigger motors.

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 06:32 #800476

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
There's a thread where someone took a grinder to make a early points setup fit. We were talking about changing the housing to accept it but the crank pin seemed to be larger. That's why I asked. Pics and measurements would help to compare the two.
Steve

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 09:39 #800488

• Dirtracer115
  • User
Awesome so the Dyna s kit incorporates the ignitors parts inside the pickups. I guess thats just a classic case of newer electronics being smaller.

They kit i ordered specifically listed the KZ1100A for fitment but it hasn't arrived yet so i will verify fitment before i start modifying the wiring.

I would have liked to get my hands on an oem replacement, especially since i realize now i will need new coils, but the only 2 i seen on ebay were just as old as mine and only $20-30 cheaper than the brand new dyna unit. Are the pickups available separately?

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 10:03 #800492

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Dyna S uses 3-5 ohm coils. You can find them cheap on eBay. I got mine used for $45 and they work great.
Steve

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 10:11 #800493

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

Dirtracer115 wrote: ... realized my factory coils will not work so i will have to order some 3+ ohm coils as well.

It's possible that you could use the Dyna S as a trigger for the factory igniter box. I would have to look at the wiring diagrams to be more certain, and that's assuming the Dyna S fits the 1100.

But this would allow you to keep the stock coils and make the load on the Dyna S very small. Depending on how the igniter box works, it could reduce the key-on coil-overheating problem.

I think the Dyna S can be used as a trigger for the Dyna 2000 box, which is a similar use. The key is to see if the factory trigger is wired as a switch to ground.

Does the 1100 still use a mechanical advancer?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 10:21 #800495

• Dirtracer115
  • User
Yes it uses a mechanical advance

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 10:32 #800497

• Dirtracer115
  • User
Score! I looked up the factory part number for my pickups on kawasaki's website and searched the part number on ebay. Found a couple on ebay listed by the part number for $50. One of which the seller has even measured and verified they are reading in spec. I'll prob order one and either swap out the entire unit or the bad pickup and save the Dyna i have already ordered for the full restoration i am planning to start in the next couple years.

Incorporating Dyna S on KZ1100 17 Mar 2019 17:42 #800512

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632

SWest wrote: Will the Dyna S even fit?
Steve

Does Dyna S have adjustable timing like the 2000?

Dynatek 2000 installed 2012

:woohoo:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.
  • Page: