All of a sudden . . . problems!

More
29 Sep 2018 09:42 #791580 by gasdude69
All of a sudden . . . problems! was created by gasdude69
Hello all . . . this is my first post to this forum, but have been lurking and reading a lot . . . especially the last couple days!

I have a 1978 KZ650D SR that I purchased just over a year ago. The guy who owned it before me has replaced a lot of parts, done engine work, etc and it has ran perfectly for me . . . until just recently.

All of a sudden, it seems to be missing intermittently on cylinders 2 & 3. I experienced loss of power, rough running, and the occasional backfire, mostly at higher speeds or while under load. Seems to idle pretty well. I pulled the plugs and found the plugs in 2&3 to be blackened and/or wet. Cleaned them up and reinstalled. Checked the coils, which were replaced by the PO (Emgos) and still looked brand new . . . all good there, the resistance readings were right on the money on both of them (4 ohm primary, 25K ohm secondary).

I opened up and examined the points and condensers, which were also replaced by the PO in 2014 and I don't think have many miles on them. Tried to check the gap on them, I couldn't get the smallest feeler gauge that's in the correct range between either set. Also, the set for cylinder 2/3 arcs quite a lot while running, but the other set not at all. The points look to be in pretty good shape, but I'm needing to re-learn all this mechanical ignition stuff again, as I haven't dealt with points etc since I owned my old 1973 Camaro!

Wondering if it could be the condenser for the 2/3 side? Is it ok to just swap the condenser leads between the two sets of points and see if the arcing follows it? I plan to reset the gap on the points after seeing if it's the condenser causing my problems, but want to make sure I'm not going to fry anything by swapping the two condensers.

What do y'all think? Am I on to something? Any other suggestions to try?

As a side note, I've had fuel leakage problems with the petcock. Tore it down last winter, bought a diaphram replacement kit, turns out my diaphram is the one that isn't available anymore. I reassembled the petcock using some gasoline resistant sealer. That worked fine until recently, when it started leaking from the "sandwich" again. While I had the tank off checking the coils, I just removed the vacuum hose and plugged the petcock and the connection at the carbs. That seems to have fixed the fuel leakage problem. Until I can get a "real" manual petcock replacement, I'm just going to run on Prime and, hopefully, remember to turn it off at the end of my rides. Note that I did all this AFTER the problem above came up, so don't think that was a contributing cause. However, running on Prime, I'm assuming I won't get the "low fuel warning" and theoretically could ride until the tank is completely empty?

Sorry for the long ass post. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/comments. This is a great forum and I've already learned a lot about this bike!

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2018 10:26 - 29 Sep 2018 10:28 #791583 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
Kinda answered your own question. Points, points and points again. Not likely to be the condenser with the info you have given. Get the points set right and clean, they shouldn't arc. Arcing points cause carbon build up and pitting to the points faces and consequently misfiring. Also if you have the equipment set the points dwell. These motor don't run badly in any respect unless there is a set up issue.
Black and wet plugs will be misleading caused by the points not charging the coils. Concentrate on getting the timing and the points right. Once they are correct then see if you have any further issues before ripping into anything else.
You don't need electronic ignition, one of my bikes has run on points since new and not given any trouble for the 41 years I've owned it.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 29 Sep 2018 10:28 by Warren3200gt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gasdude69

More
29 Sep 2018 14:29 #791590 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
A bad condenser will cause more arcing at the points which will prevent sparks at the plugs. Both condensers are the same internally, so you can swap wires if they reach.

But as Warren said, you will want to set the points correctly first.

More
29 Sep 2018 18:41 #791593 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
When you disconnect wires to check or replace points and condensers, pay close attention to the location and order of the various washers. There are both metal ones and fiber ones. If not installed correctly, the points can be permanently grounded, resulting in no start.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
29 Sep 2018 23:06 #791599 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
If you dont have a dwell meter you can get it pretty close with a rigged up circuit tester. Two wires connected to a bulb. Connect one wire to the spring arm of the points, the other to earth. Turn on the ignition and turn the crank with the larger spanner on the crank end. The light should come on as the timing mark aligns for the points your working on. I.e. the timing is correct. Continue turning the crank and the when the light goes off the points are closed. That amount of turn is the dwell. If you look at the timing mark plate hole you should be able to see the timing mark for the other cylinders. If it aligns as the lights goes off you know the dwell is 180 deg. If it goes off before the marks align you know its 180 deg minus the amount you see. If it goes off after they align you know its 180 deg plus amount you see. Do the same for the othe set of points. Check your manual but from memory dwell for your bike is 180 to 195 deg.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
30 Sep 2018 08:44 #791611 by gasdude69
Replied by gasdude69 on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
Thanks for all the great help and suggestions, guys.

I do have a Clymer manual for this bike, so I'm not totally flying blind. But as to a dwell meter and timing light . . . no, not since I had a car with points ignition. Like I said, I'm having to relearn all this mechanical ignition stuff! :D

I reset the point gaps and swapped the condensers . . . now I have arcing on BOTH sets of points . . . doesn't run any better (or worse), but the bad plugs seem to have switched to the 1/4 side. I was using something similar to warren's method to check the dwell, but I was using a digital multimeter to check continuity, so it's a little tougher to "see" the point that you just lose continuity with it. At the point it should have been opening, my meter was bouncing around in the low single to double digits, so thinking that is good?

On closer examination, the point faces did look a little banged up. Also don't have a points file . . . I've GOT to visit my local tool store and see if I can still get some of these old school tools!

Anyway, thinking I just need to bite the bullet and find a new set of points and condensers. I see Z1 Enterprises still has points but no condensers and Parts N More has condensers but no points. Guess I will be placing TWO orders!

Thanks again everyone for all your help. Really appreciate it. This is a GREAT resource!!

More
30 Sep 2018 09:15 #791612 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
Closely inspect the new points before installing them. The quality control from China is terrible. My friend ordered some that barely worked. It turned out the points pivot pin's hole was oval which allowed the points to move out of alignment while opening and closing. It took a while to diagnose and find that.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Sep 2018 17:38 - 30 Sep 2018 17:39 #791631 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic All of a sudden . . . problems!
A finger nail file will work plus a folded matchbook to clean off any oil or grease. Be sure the springs are parallel with the plate. They can cause this kind of problem. Back in the day I used early Ford condencers tapped in and fastened to the frame. Wasn't a Kaw shop in 60 miles. :whistle:
Steve
Last edit: 30 Sep 2018 17:39 by SWest.

More
30 Sep 2018 19:09 #791636 by gasdude69
What do y'all think of the electronic ignition setups? Worth the money? Can it be installed by someone with average mechanical skills?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Sep 2018 19:19 #791637 by SWest
I have the Dyna S. Easy to install.
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2018 12:28 #791712 by gasdude69
SWest . . . did you also install Dyna coils? It has been recommended to me to do that . . . I have what look like brand new Emgos on the bike now . . .

Thanks!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Oct 2018 12:44 #791715 by SWest
I used the stock type coils until I got the Dyna 3 ohm coils. As long as they're 3 ohm or higher it will work fine. Adding the dyna coils added to the power draw. Not confident in Emgo anything.
Steve