KZ750 Spectre help

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
31 Oct 2017 19:25 - 31 Oct 2017 19:43 #774068 by JohnLuke
KZ750 Spectre help was created by JohnLuke
Help, I am rebuilding this bike from the ground up. I am wondering can I use these wiring diagrams on my bike? Is this wiring diagram even compatible with my bike? And can I get rid of the ic igniter because I bought a Dyna S ignition coil and timing ignition. Will that allow me to get rid of some stuff? I ask because I don’t want to have to buy a new Ic igniter/cdi . Ik I need the regulator/rectifier because it’s in the diagram. Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 19:43 by JohnLuke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
31 Oct 2017 19:45 #774069 by JohnLuke
Replied by JohnLuke on topic KZ750 Spectre help
Can I use this diagram on my bike? What I mean is because I have the Dyna s system can I get rid of the ic igniter/cdi? I don’t want to buy another one.

Thanks!

More
31 Oct 2017 20:31 - 31 Oct 2017 20:38 #774073 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ750 Spectre help

JohnLuke wrote: Can I use this diagram on my bike? What I mean is because I have the Dyna s system can I get rid of the ic igniter/cdi? I don’t want to buy another one.

Thanks!

Not exactly as is. First, the Dyna S will take the place of the points, but it needs a switched power source.
The Dyna S will require 3 ohm coils. Your original coils would have been 2.3 ohm coils and are not recommended for the DynaS.
The regulator/rectifier most likely has a brown wire. That brown wire must go to a switched power source to sense the battery voltage when the bike is running. If not, you can fry the whole system.
You should probably have two brake light switches.
And it's always better to run dedicated ground wires to everything and run that back to where the battery cable connects to the engine. The frame for whatever reason doesn't tend to work out too well as a ground.

Just curious, why do you have two diagrams posted?
Are they different?
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 20:38 by loudhvx.

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
01 Nov 2017 08:51 #774091 by JohnLuke
Sorry, I didn’t mean to do that.

Oh okay. I understand that the dyna s replaces the points but does that mean I still need the ic igniter? I’m just asking ahead of time so I can get an idea. I really apprecitate the help. Goodness knows I need it. I’ll definatly need the help with the wiring.

Thanks!

More
01 Nov 2017 09:08 #774094 by loudhvx
No, the dyna s does not use the factory igniter. But don't throw it away, someone wants it and the original pickups and rotor if you have it. That stuff is getting hard to find. The original factory system was a lot more efficient, more sophisticated, and possibly more reliable over the course of 40 years.

More
01 Nov 2017 09:10 #774095 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ750 Spectre help

JohnLuke wrote: Sorry, I didn’t mean to do that.

Oh okay. I understand that the dyna s replaces the points but does that mean I still need the ic igniter? I’m just asking ahead of time so I can get an idea. I really apprecitate the help. Goodness knows I need it. I’ll definatly need the help with the wiring.

Thanks!

An ic igniter is a component of a factory electronic ignition that does not have points.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
01 Nov 2017 12:02 #774100 by JohnLuke
Okay, so I guess my question now is, how do I wire my bike with the new Dyna s system? Like is there a diagram I could follow? And is there a Dyna s ic igniter that I have to buy? Lol help. Can I not just wire the bike using that diagram? Like I said b4, because I got the Dyna s system does that enable me to not use the ic igniter?
Like I’m really confused.

Thanks!

More
01 Nov 2017 13:31 - 01 Nov 2017 13:34 #774102 by loudhvx
The Dyna S is an igniter and pickup all in one unit. It needs no other external igniter of any kind.
But as I mentioned earlier you need to know what coils you have. So what coils do you have?

Also, is there a brown wire on your regulator/rectifier? If so, you need to address that (as I detailed earlier) or you will fry the Dyna S in no time.
So no, you can't necessarily just follow that wiring diagram you posted. It is incomplete.

Do you have the rotor for the Dyna S? If not, you will need that.

There should be a diagram showing how to wire a Dyna S specifically for a Kz. You can download it from Dyna or probably get it from Google. Either way, you probably want to google it so you can get tips on how to avoid the pitfalls of the Dyna S. There must be dozens of posts on Kzrider related to the Dyna S.

Your diagram shows points, and is very vague on that anyway, so no that diagram won't really help you. You need the Dyna S diagram. But ignoring the regulator issue will get you stranded.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 13:34 by loudhvx.

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
02 Nov 2017 09:22 #774129 by JohnLuke
Okay, great! Very helpful. I have the Dyna s complete system which mean I gave the Dyna s ignition coils and the Dyna s electronic points. I think that’s all I need.

Thanks.

• JohnLuke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
More
02 Nov 2017 09:23 - 02 Nov 2017 09:24 #774130 by JohnLuke
Like this is what I got....
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2017 09:24 by JohnLuke.

More
03 Nov 2017 06:15 - 03 Nov 2017 06:48 #774148 by Patton

The rotor is installed so that the embedded magnet passes the left side pickup module when the F1/4 mark aligns with the case mark.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 06:48 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

More
03 Nov 2017 07:06 - 03 Nov 2017 07:10 #774150 by Patton
Here's what's supposed to happen while the engine's running.

When the embedded rotor magnet passes by the left side pickup module, the ground connection from the ignition coil is interrupted, which loss of ground causes the ignition coil to fire both outside spark plugs.

When the embedded rotor magnet passes by the right side pickup module, the ground connection from the other ignition coil is interrupted, which loss of ground causes that ignition coil to fire both inside spark plugs.

It's comparable to a points system where opening of the points is what interrupts the ignition coil's ground connection.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Nov 2017 07:10 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx