Replacing Antique Electroics...

More
16 Aug 2016 11:56 - 16 Aug 2016 11:57 #738893 by Atlamillias
Replacing Antique Electroics... was created by Atlamillias
Hello! I'm still really new to bikes, and am trying to replace stuff on my 1982 KZ750 CSR. Figured it would be the best way to learn about stuff. Anyways, the wiring harness was badly damaged by acid corrosion by the previous owner. Since this bike is over 30 years old, I'm not too trusting on some of the electrical equipment, such as the stator, regulator - rectifier, and coil. Replacing these now would entice me to learn about them, and help me diagnose any issues later.

The problem is though ; i have no idea where I would purchase such things. Yeah, there's ebay if i wanted cheap Chinese or (used) OEM replacements, but is there specific sites or marketplaces anyone would recommend for aftermarket-stock stuff?

P. S. Where specifically do i connect the hotwire from the regulator-rectifier to the battery? Directly to the terminal? Before/after the main fuse? Only problem i had wiring this thing...

P. S. S. Mispelled "Electronics" in title. Fml...
Last edit: 16 Aug 2016 11:57 by Atlamillias.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 12:34 #738901 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...
I would not spend the money on replacing parts than may be perfectly fine. Your bike is 5 years newer than mine, and the only electrical part that has failed on mine was the original rectifier. My bike has 60,000 miles on it.

In reality, replacing parts is so simple (other than cost) that it is not going to teach you much about the bike's electrical system. If you want to learn about your bike's electrical stuff there's a much better and less expensive way to do so. Buy the Kawasaki Service Manual (if you don't already have one) and use the instructions it contains to test each of the electrical components on your bike. Those that test out fine (probably nearly all of them) can be left on the bike. If a part fails the test you can then replace it knowing you are actually improving the bike's electrical system. Running the tests will teach you far more than simply replacing parts, will cost you much less, and will most likely result in a better electrical system than you would have if you replaced all the parts. The reason for the latter is the fact that so many replacements parts available today are of much poorer quality than the original parts that came on the bike.

Before you start hooking up any wires do yourself a huge favor and consult the wiring diagram in the Kawasaki Service Manual. Otherwise you may fry stuff. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Aug 2016 12:35 - 16 Aug 2016 12:38 #738902 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...
For a free downloadable KZ750 4-cyl service manual, use this link, and scroll down to "The Bible" ---
mbsween.bike-night.com/kz750l3/index.html

For parts, click here > www.z1enterprises.com

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Aug 2016 12:38 by Patton.

More
16 Aug 2016 13:02 - 16 Aug 2016 13:32 #738905 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...
The 750-CSR is a Twin. :)

Reg-rec power wire. How it's wired can vary. The red/white power wire from the reg-rec on my 81 650-CSR goes to the starter solenoid switch pos (+) terminal & there is a fat cable from the solenoid to the battery pos (+) terminal.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2016 13:32 by martin_csr.

More
16 Aug 2016 13:07 - 16 Aug 2016 13:12 #738907 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...

martin_csr wrote: The 750-CSR is a Twin. :)

Reg-rec power wire. How it's wired can vary. The r/r red/white power wire on my 81 650-CSR goes to the starter solenoid switch & there is a fat cable from the solenoid to the battery pos (+) terminal.

Thanks, Martin! :cheer:

Aka KZ750M1.

Here are links to downloadable manuals for the twin:

kz750twins.com/?p=15

biquetoast.com/cgi-bin/750ManualList.cgi

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Aug 2016 13:12 by Patton.

More
16 Aug 2016 13:12 #738908 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...
I learned the hard way about that model being a Twin... by buying a fuel tank. doh.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Aug 2016 13:13 #738910 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...
You can clean the contacts and connectors with contact cleaner. Some come with lube in it. Most of the time like in the kill switch, the contacts get hung up with dried out grease. A little spraying with the tube on the can and working it will free them up. If you buy from eBay look at the pics carefully and ask questions. If no answers, move on. I've got good parts but I've been burned too. Sometimes it's because I didn't inspect the part right away or the seller sold me something he knew was wrong. Buyer beware. Remember, they want your money, you have the power of choice. Use it. If the part is wrong or damaged, file a "not as described" case after you give them the opportunity to make it right. Paying return shipping is not making it right.
JMO :whistle:
Steve

More
17 Aug 2016 11:11 #739017 by Atlamillias
Replied by Atlamillias on topic Replacing Antique Electroics...
Thanks to everyone who far!