Handlebar

More
30 Mar 2016 13:32 #718290 by Fox
Handlebar was created by Fox
Hello all,

I jsut receive my new clip ons to replace the oem handelbar on my kz1000 ltd 78.

But all the cables are inside the handelbar.
I suppose i can discontect them somewhere, but where is it?

Thanks for help,

Cheers
Fox

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2016 15:42 #718319 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Handlebar
Yikes! If you don't know this then perhaps clip-ons mounted to a big tank KZ1000 are really not for you.
LOL

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
30 Mar 2016 15:58 #718326 by Fox
Replied by Fox on topic Handlebar
Well, it's not a secret that good in custom for the moment.
Thanks for your good help.

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

More
30 Mar 2016 16:28 - 31 Mar 2016 06:37 #718334 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Handlebar
This is probably one of those things you kinda have to dive in to & figure it out as you go. You should be able to see where they exit the handlebars, then follow them from there. some will probably terminate inside the headlight bucket, but one or two might be connected at the main wiring harness near the steering head. I'm not sure how easy they are to pull out, so maybe use a lubricant if necessary --- either an electric cable lube or silicone spray or something of that nature. when pulling the wires, don't force it. you may have to work them back n forth & maybe use a twisting motion. perhaps wrap the ends w a little electrical tape. there's no sense in ripping off the terminal pins.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 06:37 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

More
30 Mar 2016 16:46 #718339 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic Handlebar
Small tank on the LTD.

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
30 Mar 2016 17:12 #718354 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Handlebar
I second Martin's sage advice and will suggest 1 more thing:
Tie a thin nylon string to the end of the OE wires before you pull them through the handlebar and tie it off at both ends. You may never need it but if you sell it on, the next guy will have a fish wire to pull the same control wires back through. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fox

More
30 Mar 2016 17:30 #718355 by Fox
Replied by Fox on topic Handlebar
Hello,

I will do.

For the moment i need to find were Disconnecting the Wiring. Perhaps on the headlight, on the front side of the triple tree...
If someone know where is it on the kz1000 ltd b2 1978 and, like you tell me, what i should know to pass the internal wiring to external wiring with succes, i'm ready to hear :)

Regards

1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
1977 kz1000-B1 LTD

More
30 Mar 2016 20:20 #718417 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Handlebar
Well, like Martin said earlier, you will likely have to trace your fingers along the wires from where they exit the handlebar hole. You can do a search on this forum for kz1000 wiring diagram to help you identify the wire colors and termination points such as a Molex connector or a union block etc but the diagram does not show you physically where on the bike any wire is routed. Thus the need to simply trace them out yourself.
You may find the wires are tied into a bundle in some places such as where they route under the tank heading backwards and of course inside the headlight bucket where the main loom's forward end is typically.
Whatever you do, when you find these wires at their terminating points and connectors, place a piece of tape on each side and number it. So long as you know wire end 3 connects back to another connector with the same number. Anything is fine - letters or numbers. Look closely and you should also see the wire size and color is also the same. Doing it this way, you don't have to worry as much if you don't know what this particular wire does but you WIll know it must reconnect back to this same labeled wire that you marked.
I don't have a kz1000 or I would take a pic and show you exactly where. All the wires on my 550a run externally along the handlebar.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Mar 2016 20:32 #718420 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Handlebar
In the block connectors are small tabs that hold the pins in. You can take a paper clip and bend the tab down enough to pull the wire out of the connector. That way you can pull them through the bars and plug them back into the connector. You will match each color to its counterpart on the receiving connector.
Steve

More
31 Mar 2016 06:33 - 31 Mar 2016 06:34 #718453 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Handlebar

by Fox. For the moment i need to find where Disconnecting the Wiring. Perhaps on the headlight, on the front side of the triple tree......

Yes. Try those locations. At the headlight remove the headlight ring & sealed beam unit. There are 2 screws on the underside of the ring. The ring & sealed beam should come out together as an assembly.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 06:34 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Mar 2016 06:55 #718464 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Handlebar
I had them in my high rise bars long ago. Had to splice longer wires on. Having Honda's I liked them that way. Changed bars and wouldn't do it again. Too easy to have a short.
Steve

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
31 Mar 2016 07:30 #718470 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Handlebar
Generally ,
The turn signals go into the headlite bucket so pull the headlite off the bucket..
The switches run into the main harness. Pull the gas tank and trace the wires to the plug in pins
Good luck, All wires are color coded
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn