Signal Lights

More
29 Mar 2016 12:23 #718025 by Bowman
Signal Lights was created by Bowman
I'm replacing the stock signal lights on my 76 750 twin with mini ones (not LED just little).

The stock signal lights had a ground wire from the lights to the frame and another to the wiring harness black/yellow. Anyone know why they did this? Can I just wire the new lights up to either the frame or the black/yellow or do I need to do some jiggery-pokery to ground them to both?

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 15:19 #718055 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Signal Lights
I think I know what you mean and if so (that's the long way around saying "assume" here :whistle: ).
It's probably because one set of signal lights was rubber mounted in one or more places along the stem so the ground was not carried to the bulb holder/housing. Hence the ground wire which typically just terminated wherever you bolted the signal stem to the bike anyway.
The newer/smaller signal light probably does not provide any rubber mounting/insulating and so will pick-up it's ground directly from being bolted onto the bike's frame.

If all else fails and you do have to resort to some jiggery pokery (and who doesn't love to resort to jiggery pokery anyway?), then you may have to find a space on the bulb holder's grounding socket, scrape it a wee bit, apply some solder paste/etch and solder a new ground wire with an appropriate sized terminal-washer to run to where you bolt the signal stem on.

That's my $0.02 worth. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bowman

More
29 Mar 2016 16:01 #718066 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Signal Lights

wrenchmonkey wrote: and who doesn't love to resort to jiggery pokery anyway?B)

Here, here! :lol:

More
29 Mar 2016 16:08 #718072 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic Signal Lights
Sort of. The old stalks were indeed rubber mounted so the mounting bolts/nuts wouldn't ground the light. Coming out of the drilled out centre of the stalks comes a pair of wires one of which is Ground (black). Then they connected the ground wire to the frame via a circle connector bolted to the frame and from there ran a black/yellow off that bolt to the main black/yellow in the main harness. It's easier to see in the wiring diagram.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)