I'm gettin' in tune. Right in tune.

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2016 07:12 - 09 Mar 2016 07:31 #714605 by wrenchmonkey
I'm gettin' in tune. Right in tune. was created by wrenchmonkey
Sure, this subject title is totally from the Who song.
Some songs have stuck with me for life and some songs always surface while I work (whistle while you work...).
If you are not sure what the heck I'm on about here.

Click the above link and see if you don't find yourself humming this for the rest of the day.
Go on.
I dare ya. :lol:

Anyway, I was bumbling around the garage last night and decided to pull the ignition cover off and check how things are going down there after someone here posted about finding their advance plate being very "dry" and needing a little grease. So I get down to it, pulling the advance plate out for a dusting and discovered that the advancing arms had left their little pads stuck to the shaft instead of themselves.
"Dayum! Now that can't be right? Pretty sure those teeny pads are supposed to be part of the arms, not stuck to the shaft magnetically or by some stwange static electricity..."

Every had this happen to you?
What did you do to resolve it?
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 07:31 by wrenchmonkey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
09 Mar 2016 10:23 - 09 Mar 2016 10:28 #714627 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic I'm gettin' in tune. Right in tune.
The rubber bits should stay with the arms.

When they fall off, you will end up with too much advance range. Initially, it will be retarded at idle. This won't do harm, but will run a little rough at idle. If you correct the timing at idle, it will be too advanced at high RPM. This is bad, and can potentially do damage.

As a temporary patch until you get the rubber re-attached, verify and/or set the timing with a strobe while at higher RPMs. That's the double line mark on the advancer. Then let the idle end up where it will. Actually this is a good method even if the rubber stops are attached. At least, it's safer.

As far as attaching the stops, I suppose any glue that is rated for rubber and steel should work, but you will have to really clean those parts first.

ps, nobody has topped Keith Moon.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 10:28 by loudhvx.

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2016 21:53 #714697 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic I'm gettin' in tune. Right in tune.
Hey Gents,
Well i didn't think to snap a pic but i chose to clean the lands on those arms thoroughly and the pads too and then glue them carefully with some slow CA that I had in my garage.
Ultimately, the timing plate needed a good cleaning and greasing. So I'll let you know if my fix fails since I'm going to check it regularly now I know to.
I did fire it up after reassembly and it ran good so I'm relatively confident the slow CA is working.

More
10 Mar 2016 15:54 #714773 by Stev-o
Replied by Stev-o on topic I'm gettin' in tune. Right in tune.
Great album! I saw The Who in '75...was awesome!

'75 Z1 '74 H1 '74 H2 basket case ..... plus plus plus...

• wrenchmonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Mar 2016 05:06 #714855 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic I'm gettin' in tune. Right in tune.
Yeah it is a great album! The first time I bought it was on 8 Track tape. :laugh: