1980 kz440 - I checked the point gap now no spark

More
06 Nov 2015 05:59 - 06 Nov 2015 06:04 #697433 by milesotoole
Hello all -

I'm in the middle of fixing up a '80 kz440 for my wife. I got it running but it ran a little rough throughout the rev range despite a lot of carb work, new boots, etc, etc.

So, I thought I should check the points and timing. I opened up the cover and used a piece of fine-grit sandpaper to gently clean the contact surfaces of the points (they looked pretty good to sratrt with, so I didn't do much), very gently pulling the spring leaf back in order to do so. I then went to start it to see if just cleaning up the points did any good - and, no spark. None on either cylinder (checked both plugs).

I went ahead and set the gap, which needed to be widened 0.1 mm or so, and used the ohm-meter test suggested in the manual to verify that the timing was correct, and indeed, the meter jumped just when the F-line was pointing straight up.

The needle also jumped when the "ec" (or whatever it is) was pointing straight up, which I assume is when the #2 cylinder fires.

Still no spark. I'm not sure what I may have done and I wonder if any of you could suggest what to check? I'm not really sure where to start.

I rode the bike to the grocery store two days ago!

Many thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Nathan
Last edit: 06 Nov 2015 06:04 by milesotoole. Reason: fixed some punctuation/phrasing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Nov 2015 06:09 - 06 Nov 2015 06:09 #697437 by SWest
A little grit stuck in-between the contacts can cause this. I use a folded match book to clean them. If you do, you will see some black stuff on it. The spring can be cockeyed a little keeping them from closing all the way. Carb cleaner spray and Match book method should work.
Steve
Last edit: 06 Nov 2015 06:09 by SWest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: milesotoole

More
06 Nov 2015 06:59 #697443 by milesotoole
Replied by milesotoole on topic 1980 kz440 - I checked the point gap now no spark
yeah, it fired right up!

Damned thing is more sensitive than my 8 year old daughter.

Didn't solve the rough running issue, but hey, I have all winter......

THanks a lot !

Nathan

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
06 Nov 2015 19:19 #697565 by milesotoole
Replied by milesotoole on topic 1980 kz440 - I checked the point gap now no spark
I'll start a new thread - thanks again for the advice!

I will check the valve clearences first, though.

Nathan