Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
18 Sep 2015 05:56 #690657 by daveo
I have ordered two NGK non-resistor caps for #'s 1 & 4, and modify existing #'s 2 & 3 NGK caps to non-resistor, to correctly run a set of NGK BR8EVX spark plugs with copper-core Dynatek 7mm wires.

Been running the BR8EVX spark plugs for a couple days with the resistor cap set, with no apparent negative effect on performance, but do anticipate a positive one when the caps are changed out in a week or so.

Any thoughts?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2015 08:42 #690682 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs
I don't think you'll notice a difference. The resistors are just for RF suppression.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
18 Sep 2015 10:19 #690701 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices
What came with the bike were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in stop and go traffic, and the coils will fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com . I believe "Emgo" is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:
1. Copper plug wires with no suppression caps(the best choice, will produce greater spark, but will produce audio noise on Radio's & T.V.'s)

2. Copper plug wires with suppression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can some times fail, like what came with the bike).

3. Copper plug wires with no suppression caps, but using resistor plugs(the "R" in the plug number).

4. Suppression plug wires with no suppression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and suppression caps or suppression plug wires, as now there will be three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary loop of the ignition coils, possibly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar primary(small wire) electrical connection using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers will come really close, possibly causing an electrical short, blowing fuses. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with Nylon or Plastic non conductive ones, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
18 Sep 2015 12:15 #690719 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs
Less is more, unless you are planning on installing a TV and radio on your bike.

Beware the RFI interference can play tricks with digi multimeters, use an analouge one instead if no suppression is used.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, scubaanders

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
18 Sep 2015 16:13 - 18 Sep 2015 16:15 #690752 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs
I installed a Dynatek 2000 ignition and 3 ohm Mini-Coils a couple years ago, and tried the suppression wire/non-suppression caps and
B8ES plugs, but now have copper core wires with the suppression caps...which work excellent with non-R spark plugs, but I think the spark energy is diminished using R plugs with the setup.

Here's one #2 & 3 cap ready for conversion. I've read one suggestion to use a piece of solid brass rod in place of the resistor. Sounds good, but will something else work even better?

Please Note: This modification may not be legal in the State of California, and may in fact cause cancer.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2015 16:15 by daveo.

More
18 Sep 2015 17:13 #690762 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs

daveo wrote: . . . Please Note: This modification may not be legal in the State of California, and may in fact cause cancer. . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Sep 2015 19:06 #690774 by SWest

More
18 Sep 2015 22:37 #690782 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs

daveo wrote: I have ordered two NGK non-resistor caps for #'s 1 & 4, and modify existing #'s 2 & 3 NGK caps to non-resistor, to correctly run a set of NGK BR8EVX spark plugs with copper-core Dynatek 7mm wires.

Been running the BR8EVX spark plugs for a couple days with the resistor cap set, with no apparent negative effect on performance, but do anticipate a positive one when the caps are changed out in a week or so.

Any thoughts?

I doubt you could possibly feel any change in performance from res-res to res-nonres.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Sep 2015 22:39 #690783 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs

daveo wrote: Please Note: This modification may not be legal in the State of California, and may in fact cause cancer.

and makes you 47% more likely to be shot in your home with your own gun.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
19 Sep 2015 05:02 #690806 by daveo

bountyhunter wrote:

daveo wrote: Please Note: This modification may not be legal in the State of California, and may in fact cause cancer.

and makes you 47% more likely to be shot in your home with your own gun.

...which leaves 53% while riding.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Sep 2015 05:18 #690809 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Resistor caps & resistor spark plugs
At my grandpa's wake I told how he taught me how to handle weapons and to hunt at 14. He told me never shoot anything I wouldn't eat. If I shot a bird no matter what it was, he'd make me eat it. I believed him. Got some laughs.
The gun doesn't come out unless it's used. If one is too frightened to do that, it's better for them to call 911 and die. IMO
Steve

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
20 Sep 2015 06:57 #690986 by daveo

MFolks wrote: NEVER use resistor plugs and suppression caps or suppression plug wires, as now there will be three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary loop of the ignition coils, possibly reducing the spark energy.

I have two of these ready to convert (for #2 & #3 spark plugs) to non-resistor, and prefer NGK's attachment design (to the plug wires and the plugs), over other cap styles available.

What would be the best thing (for conductivity) to use in place of the resistor?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments: