Shorai battery meltdown

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
05 Jun 2015 14:55 #675418 by jsnabbs
Shorai battery meltdown was created by jsnabbs
Anyone want to take a guess and maybe tell me what went wrong here...

I finished the rebuild on my bike and took it out for the first ride, after 20km i came to a stop with the battery having a complete melt down.

Back story.... As i have no idea when it comes to electrics i gave my bike to a motorbike mechanic, he did the whole rewiring, i wanted a shorai installed so i supplied him with one.

like I said, i went for the first ride and i first noticed something when i used the indicator, i used the left one and it stayed on, flicked to the right indicator and it was flashing, back to the left and it stayed on, drove 50m and then the bike DIED. Was leaking fluid from battery and had a visible hole. So back to the mechanic it went. He put a new battery in and now it wont start, no spark in the sparkplugs.

Anyone has an idea what could have gone wrong? im trying to inform myself so i can maybe get an idea at who is at fault.

Anyone else had problems with the shorai batteries?

many thanks

TIME TO TRADE IN THE PEDALS FOR SOME POWER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jun 2015 16:04 #675426 by SWest

More
05 Jun 2015 17:46 #675436 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shorai battery meltdown
Is it a Lithium battery? I worked with them for years. The way they get destroyed is:

1) Overcharged (too much charge current) or charged to a final voltage which is too high.

2) Over discharged or discharged at too high of rate.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Jun 2015 17:48 #675437 by bountyhunter

jsnabbs wrote: Anyone has an idea what could have gone wrong? many thanks

Check the usual suspects:

Make sure all the high current ground connections are solid (battery, rectifiers/regulator).

Make sure your regulator is locking the system voltage at the correct value which is 14V +/- 0.5V. If it is too high, any Li battery will be toast.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
05 Jun 2015 23:52 #675471 by jsnabbs
Replied by jsnabbs on topic Shorai battery meltdown

bountyhunter wrote: Is it a Lithium battery? I worked with them for years. The way they get destroyed is:

1) Overcharged (too much charge current) or charged to a final voltage which is too high.

I did the battery a charge a few days before this happened, but i was using the shorai lithium specific charger. this shouldnt over charge it should it?

More
06 Jun 2015 04:01 #675474 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Shorai battery meltdown
Check your voltage output. Set the multimeter on the lowest value, (20) DC and rev the engine to around 3500 and read the meter.

My regulator toasted last week ad boiled my battery dry. I am waiting for one now.

You can't make and judgments until you check your voltage.

Go to you tube if you need to see it first hand.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
06 Jun 2015 14:07 #675531 by bountyhunter

jsnabbs wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: Is it a Lithium battery? I worked with them for years. The way they get destroyed is:

I did the battery a charge a few days before this happened, but i was using the shorai lithium specific charger. this shouldnt over charge it should it?

No. It's the bike's charging system that could overcharge it and/or charge it at too high of a current rate.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
07 Jun 2015 03:24 #675576 by jsnabbs
Replied by jsnabbs on topic Shorai battery meltdown

bountyhunter wrote:

jsnabbs wrote:

No. It's the bike's charging system that could overcharge it and/or charge it at too high of a current rate.

Ah ok, i get you.

what are some factors that could cause this? i know its hard probably hard to say, but im just trying to figure out if the mechanic is at fault to see if he is responsible for the work to fix it, and all so for the price of the battery that is now toast

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jun 2015 06:04 #675577 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Shorai battery meltdown
Charging systems fail. If it were my shop, I wouldn't allow the customer to provide any parts and most don't for that reason. You can't warranty parts of unknown origin. Do you have a work order? Did he test/repair the charging system? How much time has elapsed?
Personally, I wouldn't work on a "Bobber/Brat bike" etc unless it is purely mechanical. Even then there's no telling what the owner will do to it once it has left the shop.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jun 2015 07:19 #675581 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Shorai battery meltdown
I just reread your post. What did the mechanic say about the problem? He apparently did the wiring so what happened?
Still no pics.
Steve

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
07 Jun 2015 09:16 #675593 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic Shorai battery meltdown
Did the battery get extremely hot for some reason? Mheres an article about li-ion batteries exploding due to heat: m.livescience.com/50643-watch-lithium-battery-explode.html

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
07 Jun 2015 15:33 #675628 by bountyhunter

jsnabbs wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

jsnabbs wrote:

Ah ok, i get you.

what are some factors that could cause this?

A blown regulator that lets the system voltage rise up. It can easily go above 18 volts when the reg stops working.

1979 KZ-750 Twin