Shorai battery meltdown

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jun 2015 18:17 #675642 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Shorai battery meltdown
It appears he is trying to affix blame for the battery failing. My question was to find out whether the charging system was tested at the time of the battery replacement. If it was and the voltage was too high, any battery would be ruined. Pics would have given a better indication of what happened. A regulator can fail or be made to fail because of a bad ground or short. The old style Regulator and rectifier systems were notorious for the regulator failing and boiling the battery. Modern ones seem to be more dependable. I replaced mine because it wasn't charging the battery enough, not the other way around.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
09 Jun 2015 03:56 #675829 by jsnabbs
Replied by jsnabbs on topic Shorai battery meltdown

swest wrote: It appears he is trying to affix blame for the battery failing. My question was to find out whether the charging system was tested at the time of the battery replacement. If it was and the voltage was too high, any battery would be ruined. Pics would have given a better indication of what happened. A regulator can fail or be made to fail because of a bad ground or short. The old style Regulator and rectifier systems were notorious for the regulator failing and boiling the battery. Modern ones seem to be more dependable. I replaced mine because it wasn't charging the battery enough, not the other way around.
Steve

Im trying to find out what went wrong yes, and as he is a workshop and has taken money for a service that now may have gone wrong, i want to know who is responible for work to be done and parts that need to be supplied.

as there is no spark and the plugs he thinks the coil is shot, at time of testing he said the voltage was not going above 14V, i was worried about the grounding that he did, ground to the frame, but did not sand back the powdercoating.

He has recommended to buy a new coil, and new pick up

TIME TO TRADE IN THE PEDALS FOR SOME POWER
Attachments:

More
09 Jun 2015 04:42 #675830 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shorai battery meltdown
What motorcycle do you own? The only reference I see is under your avatar and it says 1981 KZ440. But you show a picture of points and condenser which would be on an earlier model. According to the parts diagrams (see 1st link below), all 1981 KZ440 models used a pulsing coil and igniter setup; not a set of contact points and a condenser. The 2nd link below shows the ignition system for a 1980 KZ440-B1 as an example of an earlier system like the one on your bike. Did the bike have points on it when you bought it, or did the mechanic make some kind of modification?

You mention that the mechanic recommended to buy a new coil, and new pick up. What pick up? I see points.

Rather than paying a mechanic to throw parts at the bike I recommend you determine exactly which year/model bike you have and exactly which year/model engine it has. (Maybe it is not the original engine?) Then buy the Kawasaki Service Manual for your specific year/model and spend time reading it so you gain a full understanding of the charging system, ignition system, and other systems on your bike. The manual explains everything. These bikes are pretty straight-forward, so it is not too difficult to learn how they work. If it was mine I would examine the bike to determine exactly what ignition system it has and whether or not all the pieces are there. Also, I would test the charging system once the bike is running again to see if it is withing specs. Once you understand the bike's charging system and ignition system you should be able to run the tests in the manual and determine what problems there might be and then take corrective action. Ed

www.dealercostparts.com/pages/oemparts#/...40-B2-1981/070047I-9

www.dealercostparts.com/pages/oemparts#/...0-B1-1980/070047C-11

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
09 Jun 2015 04:50 #675832 by jsnabbs
Sorry, the model is a KZ440C.

And yes they are the orginal points

More
09 Jun 2015 05:15 #675834 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shorai battery meltdown
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere's a manual that says it includes the 1981 KZ440-C2. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jun 2015 05:48 #675841 by SWest
I would have grounded it to the engine as well as the frame. Sanding back the coating shouldn't have been a problem being there would be metal on metal contact through the bolt. I'd like to see a pic of it. It is possible a 30 year old system just failed. Simple as that.
Why did he go to the frame? Was it that way before?
Steve

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
09 Jun 2015 07:39 #675858 by jsnabbs
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

650ed wrote: Here's a manual that says it includes the 1981 KZ440-C2. Ed

Yeah cool, i have that manual. if i wanted to do it myself i would have from the start, i rpobably should have as the guy ended up taking 5 months to re wire it.

Now i just want to get to the bottom of the problem as soon as possible

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jun 2015 08:15 #675862 by SWest
When I first started riding I learned that lesson. "Parts on order" every time I called. finally I dropped by to see what was happening. NOTHING. There was my bike in the corner untouched. He charged me storage and I took it home, got a manual and fixed it myself.
I got my bike back on the road after 15 years two years ago. I'd stop by a shop to see what they have, "we can order it for you" SO CAN I, :angry: I say. Been there, done that. :whistle:
Steve

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
09 Jun 2015 11:36 #675888 by jsnabbs
Yup so where im at with it now is that i will pick it up from mechanic as he told me i need new coil points system and condensor, but couldnt find anywhere the parts available. after 10mins onine myself i found them.

i have another guy who thinks he can crack it, he works for a yamaha dealer

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jun 2015 13:00 #675897 by SWest
The points can be filed in a pinch. The condenser looks like the one in my 69 F 250. I used them back in the day when I had the only Z1 for 60 miles. They cost $5 at OR or AZ.
Steve

• jsnabbs
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kawiKZ440
More
09 Jun 2015 13:44 #675908 by jsnabbs
Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys

@swest what is a 69 F 250? will start to look for the parts now and order so i can get her on the road asap