I'm confused

More
13 May 2015 15:48 #671971 by Richardb98
I'm confused was created by Richardb98
Okay so my bike has spark and gas getting to the plugs and even when I spray carb cleaner through the carbs all I'm getting is a faint popping. So that means it's timing. Well I've just did my valve clearance according to specs and I was looking at an online manual to adjust my ignition coil and the manual looks way different then what I'm looking at. And ideas guys?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2015 16:02 - 13 May 2015 16:03 #671973 by JR
Replied by JR on topic I'm confused
The photo shows electronic ignition timing which is usually set at the factory and the manual shows points

First question is what model bike and year ? I'mguessing a twin of some kind

Has it run properly in the past ?

Is this a new problem ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 13 May 2015 16:03 by JR.

More
13 May 2015 16:07 #671975 by Richardb98
Replied by Richardb98 on topic I'm confused
It's an 81 kz440 ltd and I had it running two days ago I took it around the block a couple times (it was running ruff) then an hour later I went to pull it Iinto the garage and it wouldn't start but backfired SUPER loud. After that I cleaned the spark plugs (the right spark plug was dead and I'd just replaced them last month) and replaced the right plug. Still nothing today

More
13 May 2015 18:47 #671996 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I'm confused

Richardb98 wrote: It's an 81 kz440 ltd and I had it running two days ago I took it around the block a couple times (it was running ruff) then an hour later I went to pull it Iinto the garage and it wouldn't start but backfired SUPER loud.

Do you see oil on either or both of the plugs? When you oil foul one plug ona twin, they both stop firing because they are in series. Then as you crank it, the gas washes the oil off enough to get it to fire and BOOM! Sounds like a .357 going off. Ask my neighbors..... :laugh:

You may also have a timing problem as well.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 May 2015 18:56 #671999 by Richardb98
Yes the right plug was oil fouled And dead. I'd just replaced them so I. Not sure what happened but I went out and got a new set today anyways. And I just got inside from doing a valve adjustment straight from the manual. Still nothing. It's just popping out of the carbs. It is worth noting that I'm getting nice blue sparks, and when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole it's getting blown of so it must have decent compression

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2015 21:36 #672018 by SWest

More
14 May 2015 00:31 #672023 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic I'm confused
The photo with the pick up coil has a rather nasty looking advance mechanism in it.
I think you should probably take the backing plate, with pick up, off the housing and clean and relube that advance assembly very well before moving on to more trouble shooting.
If nothing else, just for peace of mind that it is working right.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 May 2015 06:40 #672039 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I'm confused
Pretty nasty in there. One thing at a time.
Steve

More
14 May 2015 08:26 #672058 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic I'm confused
If you clean the advancer, be careful. You need to be aware that there are two tiny black rubber stops glued onto the arms. They can fall off if you clean too hard. Locate them first so you know what to avoid.

More
14 May 2015 08:56 #672065 by Richardb98
Steve I thought it was timing as well. But I've adjusted the timing to spec straight from the manual? Does it sound like they're still to tight? Especially keeping in mind that it ran one minute then didn't the next? But I'll be cleaning the ignition mechanism like you guys suggested just to get it out of the way

More
14 May 2015 09:13 #672067 by davido
Replied by davido on topic I'm confused
My head is a bit fuzzy at the moment but I thought that electronic points were non adustable? Once theyre set theyre set,you shouldnt need to touch them again. Clean the auto advance for sure and put it all back together.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
14 May 2015 11:29 #672088 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic I'm confused

davido wrote: My head is a bit fuzzy at the moment but I thought that electronic points were non adustable? Once theyre set theyre set,you shouldnt need to touch them again.

For the most part that is true. At least, that is what Kawasaki intended.

The timing can be off if some part was swapped for another, or if something went wrong with the advancer. So it should still be checked with a strobe once the bike is running. And before it's running, you can still check with a strobe for the low-speed timing, but you may need an extra couple hands.