I'm confused

More
14 May 2015 11:36 #672089 by davido
Replied by davido on topic I'm confused
Ok,I get that but they dont get 'tight' or 'loose' like normal points do they? I thought that was the advantage of electronic over old style points, that they dont wear.Once theyre set (in the right position) they dont need any adjusting?

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 May 2015 11:37 #672090 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I'm confused
The pick up may be bad. Locate the connections and test the leads while cranking the engine. Better with a test light to see how it operates under load.
Steve

More
14 May 2015 11:39 - 14 May 2015 11:40 #672091 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic I'm confused
Question: Were the valve clearances within spec or did you have to change shims?

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R
Last edit: 14 May 2015 11:40 by LineArtist.

More
14 May 2015 15:14 #672123 by Richardb98
Replied by Richardb98 on topic I'm confused
They where within spec but getting tight. At the moment I have them all at .007. I'm pretty frustrated right now. I've got the plugs out and I'm cranking it every couple hours hoping it was just flooded

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 May 2015 16:51 #672139 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic I'm confused
So you haven't checked the pick up yet.
Steve

More
15 May 2015 07:53 #672222 by Richardb98
not sure what the pick up is? sorry if its simple but yesterday i cleaned every wire getting off most of the oxidization and cleaning id with a de-greaser and the a db of wd-40 to help prevent future corrosion and i adjusted the spark plug gaps. now i have bright blue sparks on both plugs and i can smell the gas but its still not firing! something to point out i did notice a thin layer of carbon buildup of the pistons that had a wet consistency. ive adjusted the valve within spec 4 times now and ive got an electronic ignition so im not sure what else to do.

More
16 May 2015 07:49 #672351 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic I'm confused

davido wrote: Ok,I get that but they dont get 'tight' or 'loose' like normal points do they? I thought that was the advantage of electronic over old style points, that they dont wear.Once theyre set (in the right position) they dont need any adjusting?

Nope, they don't wear, or make contact, or even get closer together unless the crank bearings get really worn out, or the advancer mechanism gets loose.

More
16 May 2015 07:53 - 16 May 2015 07:56 #672352 by loudhvx
Since the time it was last running, have you had the timing advancer apart? It's possible to put it back together the wrong way. The way to check is, when the pistons are at top-dead-center, the pointy part of the ignition rotor should be just slightly counter clockwise of the center of the pickup.

The pickup is the little black plastic box under the timing cover. You posted a photo of it. In your photo, the rotor is at about the correct position if the pistons are at TDC.
Last edit: 16 May 2015 07:56 by loudhvx.

More
16 May 2015 08:37 - 16 May 2015 08:37 #672356 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic I'm confused

Richardb98 wrote: not sure what the pick up is? sorry if its simple but yesterday i cleaned every wire getting off most of the oxidization and cleaning id with a de-greaser and the a dab of wd-40 to help prevent future corrosion and i adjusted the spark plug gaps. now i have bright blue sparks on both plugs and i can smell the gas but its still not firing! something to point out i did notice a thin layer of carbon buildup of the pistons that had a wet consistency. ive adjusted the valve within spec 4 times now and ive got an electronic ignition so im not sure what else to do.

Bad idea! WD40 is a bad thing to use on wires, contacts, etc.! More than one person on this site has suffered the effects of using it that way. Use Deoxit or some other contact cleaner to clean that WD40 off anything electrical before that WD40 crap sets up and becomes an insulator. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 16 May 2015 08:37 by 650ed.

More
16 May 2015 15:29 #672394 by loudhvx

650ed wrote:

Richardb98 wrote: not sure what the pick up is? sorry if its simple but yesterday i cleaned every wire getting off most of the oxidization and cleaning id with a de-greaser and the a dab of wd-40 to help prevent future corrosion and i adjusted the spark plug gaps. now i have bright blue sparks on both plugs and i can smell the gas but its still not firing! something to point out i did notice a thin layer of carbon buildup of the pistons that had a wet consistency. ive adjusted the valve within spec 4 times now and ive got an electronic ignition so im not sure what else to do.

Bad idea! WD40 is a bad thing to use on wires, contacts, etc.! More than one person on this site has suffered the effects of using it that way. Use Deoxit or some other contact cleaner to clean that WD40 off anything electrical before that WD40 crap sets up and becomes an insulator. Ed

Yes.
As a matter of fact dielectric grease isn't a great idea either. Dielectric is essentially an insulator for the purposes of conducting electricity. I've spent many hours cleaning dielectric grease out of connections. It heats up, liquefies, then gets wicked into contacts. The contact area that actually carries current then is reduced and heats up more.

Just got done replacing headlight connectors on a Civic. They were full of grease (that looked cooked), and the bulbs were dim. Only chopping off the connectors and replacing them got the bulbs back to full brightness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richardb98

More
16 May 2015 16:48 #672402 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic I'm confused
www.deoxit.com is the electrical contact cleaner/preservative I've used for years. My home Audio cables, cordless telephone charging cradle, motorcycle and car , get an occasional "spritz", to keep them operating as they should.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 May 2015 16:55 #672406 by Richardb98
I've got it to fire today so I can say it's not timing. Now the only problem is that it's idling At about 5k RPM. looks like another weekend in the garage. Also it takes about 20 seconds of cranking it to get it started and I don't want to burn up my starter moter