Indicator/dash lights

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 May 2015 15:07 #670411 by SWest
Indicator/dash lights was created by SWest
I just ordered these LED lights for my gauges and dash. I've been so tired of having them burn out so quick. In the day a bulb at home could last 15 years and did. The bike ones would last too. Not anymore. All you can get is junk from china or NOS that would burn out in no time. I'm going to give these a shot. Tell ya how it works out.
Steve

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2015 15:13 #670412 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Indicator/dash lights
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYes please do.... the ones I installed .... two of four had burned out LEDs within the first 120miles.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 May 2015 15:24 #670414 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Indicator/dash lights
Crap, them too? I was going to buy that style but chose these as a experiment.
We'll see. :unsure:
Steve

More
02 May 2015 17:30 #670435 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Indicator/dash lights
LEDs are just like regular bulbs as far as reliability. Get good ones, like they use on the new motorcycles and cars and they last forever OEM. Trouble is in the aftermarket as some are good probably, but so many are pure garbage it's rediculous. I bought a slot machine and the bulbs started blinking and doing other goofball stuff the first couple hours I got it, and immediately thought LED. Sure enough, junk LEDs there. Replaced with regular bulbs and it lights up perfect. Hopefully you get a good part, as they are all made in China.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
02 May 2015 18:19 #670446 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Indicator/dash lights

swest wrote: Crap, them too? I was going to buy that style but chose these as a experiment.
We'll see. :unsure:
Steve

I went through the same dilemma and ended up springing for the expensive LED units from auperbrightleds.com instead of the cheap ones off ebay just because it is so much work to replace them. On mine, the screws at the front of the tach/speedo that hold the cover shells on had seized up from rust and sheared off trying to remove them (had to drill out the bracket and retap). Anyway, no problem now about two years later with the new LED bulbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 May 2015 18:21 - 02 May 2015 18:28 #670447 by bountyhunter

RonKZ650 wrote: LEDs are just like regular bulbs as far as reliability. Get good ones, like they use on the new motorcycles and cars and they last forever OEM. Trouble is in the aftermarket as some are good probably, but so many are pure garbage it's rediculous.

Any decent LED should last at least 10,000 hours, but the stuff on ebay is all from China and quality is pretty bad. The cheap ones can't handle vibration.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 May 2015 18:28 by bountyhunter.

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 May 2015 18:56 #670451 by SWest
I was hoping they would last as least longer than what they sell at AZ or OR for regular bulbs. I even got some NOS radio lights. 18v and they lasted a year. We'll see. :unsure:
Steve

More
02 May 2015 19:28 #670454 by bountyhunter
These are the ones I used for instrument lights:

www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba...-power-led/958/2359/

I have been running superbright LEds in tail, brake and turn signal for over ten years with no failures.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 07:02 #670741 by SWest
Well I got them yesterday. One came apart as soon as I pushed down and twisted it. No glue, just pressed over the bayonet with the ground folded over. They're depending on the soldered wire to keep them together. They are brighter than the others so my faded colors look worse. The ones in the gauges don't work at all. I may have a bad connection. The guy is pestering me for a 5 star feed back. I'll wait until I make sure I have power to the gauges. If I do, I'll send him a message about the problem. It's not much money but that's two hours of my life I'll never get back. :(
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 19:34 #670820 by SWest
Went out and checked the multi connector leading to the gauges and idiot lights. Found a blue wire fried and soldered it. Looked like metal fatigue. Four spade connectors were pushed in. I pulled them out, cleaned them and bent the keeping tang out so they wouldn't do it again. I've always known I need new connectors for the loom. After all, they're 40 years old. I've had problems with the others now this one. Z1 had them, maybe they still do.
Steve

More
05 May 2015 19:56 #670822 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Indicator/dash lights
These folks have a bunch of vintage style connectors in case Z1E doesn't have what you need. Ed

www.hvccycle.com/electrical-connectors.html
www.cycleterminal.com/250-connectors.html
vintageconnections.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 20:15 #670826 by SWest
Thanks Ed. The last one has what I need. Good prices too.
Steve