battery life effecting kickstart?

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
15 Jan 2014 22:07 - 15 Jan 2014 22:08 #618786 by DoctoRot
battery life effecting kickstart? was created by DoctoRot
my kz650 has a battery that wont hold a charge. It can be really difficult to kickstart cold. I put a tender on the battery so its fully charged (still wont hold it) and it kickstarts the first try, even when i don't get a full kick in. whats the deal? I thought that kickstarting it negated any effect on starting that the battery had.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2014 22:08 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2014 02:38 #618795 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
What type ignition? The electronic type need a 12v signal for the spark.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
16 Jan 2014 05:32 #618808 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
My KZ650 won't run worth a darn if the battery goes flat even if I kick start it. I highly recommend you replace the battery as I suspect that will solve your bike's problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Jan 2014 05:42 - 16 Jan 2014 05:43 #618809 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationdo your self a favor ditch the "tender" I had 3 of the tender pluses (junk) ,1 original tender which died after being in a flooded basement.. I bought this instead.

desulfates and brings back low batteries.....spins the engine like the spark plugs are missing . i use it on all my vehicles/bikes now. I have 3 of them

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 05:43 by turboking.

More
16 Jan 2014 06:41 - 16 Jan 2014 06:41 #618817 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
The battery is an important part of the ignition system, as it supplies power to the coils. In the manual it's the first component shown in the ignition system drawing. I don't know that much about this stuff, but I do know that the bike needs a good battery to run right. One time my bike would lose power then quit at high speeds - the electrolyte was low. Another time it started cutting out oddly - the battery was bad - it wouldn't hold a charge. I now test & check the battery much more regularly. :blush:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 06:41 by martin_csr.

More
16 Jan 2014 07:32 #618822 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic battery life effecting kickstart?

martin_csr wrote: The battery is an important part of the ignition system, as it supplies power to the coils. In the manual it's the first component shown in the ignition system drawing. I don't know that much about this stuff, but I do know that the bike needs a good battery to run right. One time my bike would lose power then quit at high speeds - the electrolyte was low. Another time it started cutting out oddly - the battery was bad - it wouldn't hold a charge. I now test & check the battery much more regularly. :blush:

+1
I've got a decent agm Interstate battery that works great for a few un-tendered days, then needs to get juiced up for a night. Its probably time to find a new one.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
16 Jan 2014 07:34 #618823 by turboking

martin_csr wrote: The battery is an important part of the ignition system, as it supplies power to the coils. In the manual it's the first component shown in the ignition system drawing. I don't know that much about this stuff, but I do know that the bike needs a good battery to run right. One time my bike would lose power then quit at high speeds - the electrolyte was low. Another time it started cutting out oddly - the battery was bad - it wouldn't hold a charge. I now test & check the battery much more regularly. :blush:

I brought a couple of car batteries back from the dead with this charger :evil: ....... people discard /replace batteries that are still usable ......yes, if the battery is too far gone it can't be brought back to 100 % charge...... we as consumers are being scammed , buying tenders and such as they do not de-sulfate the battery plates......sulfation of the plates is the # 1 killer of lead acid batteries :S

after using the xtreme charger my hayabusa turbo's battery spins the engine like the spark plugs are missing..... B)

before I bought the xtreme charger my 4 year old Bandit 1200 S battery (agm) seemed like it was going away even though I use a maintainer religiously :blink: I got the dreaded solenoid click :S ......SSSSSSSSSSSo i got my 1st extreme charger and hooked it to the bandit. the battery had 25% charge showing on the xtreme charger....... it steadily got higher, 50%, then after 3 days of being connected 75%.
after about a week 100% charge. at first, it did only hold the 100% for a couple of days ,then drop to 75%.

needless to say I left the battery hooked to the charger "full time" and after a couple of weeks charging it's holding the 100% charge .....the battery now spins the engine like the plugs are missing....I checked the battery on my pricey small engine battery load tester and now the battery tests as "GOOD".
I'm sold on these and have since bought 2 more.... ;)
as costly as batteries are now , my xtreme charger has more than paid for itself......extending my batteries life. ;)

SEE from their site below...... :dry:

Smart, Safe And Simple Pulse Maintenance Charger

This innovative, state-of-the-art battery charger automatically knows what to do so you don’t have to be a battery expert to use it. Unlike other smart chargers on the market, you don’t need to select the battery type or the proper charge rate to avoid the risk of unsafe or improper charging.

There’s no guess work involved because fuse protected, reverse polarity protected, spark-proof Xtreme Charge® works on every type of 12-volt lead-acid battery. Proprietary algorithms combined with microprocessor controlled technology measure the batteries voltage and current to automatically determine and deliver the precise charge rate based on the size and condition of the individual battery, both initially and continuously throughout the 5-stage charge process.

Xtreme Charge is more than a battery charger and maintainer. During the maintenance cycle, PulseTech’s patented, optimized high frequency pulsing constantly works to minimize and reduce naturally occurring battery sulfation, the main cause of battery failures. By reducing the size and number of lead sulfate deposits inside your battery that negatively affect your batteries ability to accept, store and release energy, your battery will charge deeper, maintain greater reserve capacity, and last up to five times longer.

The Xtreme Charge is ideally suited for AGM and Maintenance-Free Batteries. The combination of PulseTech’s patented pulse technology and proprietary charging algorithm allows it to charge these high-performance batteries more fully while maintaining a safe charge profile for traditional batteries.

Includes fuse-protected quick-disconnect battery clamps and lugs, Important Safety Instructions and Quick-Start Guide. The Xtreme Charge is fuse-protected, spark-proof, and is UL and CE certified.

I'm just trying to save some of the list members a few bucks/ headache and have no affiliation with xtreme chargers. I too ,was skeptical at first :unsure: :unsure:

1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
The following user(s) said Thank You: TomasDouglas

More
16 Jan 2014 09:45 #618837 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
I use a low tech Schumacher charger, but I've been considering getting one by Ctek. They seem to have similar features as the Xtreme charger. Coincidentally, I just got around to finding out where they are sold this week.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
16 Jan 2014 09:50 #618838 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
Thanks for the replies guys. i had no clue the battery was so important to the electrical system. i knew it acted as a capacitor on the bike but i never figured it would effect starting so much. It makes me realize why they got rid of kick-starters. if its that difficult to kick i usually find a small hill to bump start on. i might have to pick up one of those chargers.

More
16 Jan 2014 10:22 #618845 by turboking
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationlooks to do the same as the xtreme..... :unsure:
ctek 0.8 u.s.

1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot

More
16 Jan 2014 11:25 #618850 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic battery life effecting kickstart?
My buddy's KZ 400 would kickstart on the first kick with a scooter battery that was dead for years. It wouldn't even light the headlight. But when running the it would get up to 14v. When turned off, the battery was at about 11v. Now this battery was damaged in that it wouldn't hold a charge, but it did not drag the voltage down. It did have a tiny bit of juice, though, as that was required to get the charging system's field coil energized.

If your battery is damaged to where it drags the voltage down too much, it will be difficult/impossible to start.

More
16 Jan 2014 13:08 #618860 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic battery life effecting kickstart?

DoctoRot wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. i had no clue the battery was so important to the electrical system. i knew it acted as a capacitor on the bike but i never figured it would effect starting so much. It makes me realize why they got rid of kick-starters. if its that difficult to kick i usually find a small hill to bump start on. i might have to pick up one of those chargers.

If it's US bike, it probably has the "headlights always on" feature. So you turn the key on to kick start and the lights are dragging down a weak battery and the voltage is too low to fire the coils well. Hence, very hard to start.

1979 KZ-750 Twin