Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?

More
21 Dec 2013 18:09 #616090 by b0ssdawg
Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it? was created by b0ssdawg
So i got my bike running, pretty well. And im still using 25 year old coils, points, spark plug wires, and spark plugs!!(since the wires wont take new tip of spark plugs) The points keep getting pitted so i have to keep sanding them down. So im to the point where i need to choose do i buy new point and stay original(everything else is) or do i get the Dyna S Electronic Ignition coils and wires for $250(will my coils last much longer? so this is needed) So just looking opinions

Rusty old 1976 kz900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2013 18:19 #616093 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
Old coils should be replaced regardless. They don't age well and cause a lot of problems (guess how I learned that).

A Dyna isn't worth it to me, but I don't hot rod. Some people swear by them, others swear at them. They don't appear to be real reliable, at least they seem to be poorly protected and blow up some times. From what I read, the electronic ignition units from factory Kawasaki are better. A lot of people hijack the elec units of the 400 and put them on 750 twins.

You have other options. You could just install some aftermarket OEM style coils (and new points/condenser sets). I run this one on my 750:

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

If you want to stop replacing points, you can add a cheaper solid state system like this:

www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/boosters/

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Dec 2013 19:17 #616095 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
Sanding down points is a total waste of time; once they are pitted they are shot and sanding them removes the hard surface. They need to be replaced on a regular basis along with the condensers. They usually last about 8,000 miles. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Dec 2013 20:57 #616096 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
My personal experience in 300,000 miles or so on KZs, the coils are fine. I never, ever replaced a coil, but those friggin points? Get rid of them fricking sons of bitches and put in the Dyna S. I'm still running original coils on all my KZs and they work just fine for me. I tried the Dyna coils and that meant adding your own wires to the plugs that were chinese type crap even 25 yeats ago, and even with that "upgrade" saw no noticable improvement at all vs running a 100,000 mile or more stock coil.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Dec 2013 07:21 #616121 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
I have also had good luck with the stock coils. I know some folks have had them fail, but mine have always performed just fine. As far as getting rid of the points - I only put a couple thousand miles a year on my bike, so spending 30 minutes or so every 3 or 4 years to replace the points (since I already own the proper tools and know how to do it) is no big deal. If I rode as many miles per year as RonKZ650 I would probably have a totally different opinion. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Dec 2013 15:36 #616163 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
The aftermarket coils produce a hotter spark, that is all.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2013 15:53 #616164 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
I have a dyna-s that's 7 years old and still going.

set it and forget it, never have to touch it.

buy it and never look back, worth the cash.

More
22 Dec 2013 16:06 #616169 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
Ifyour old coils work, you don't need to replace them to run the Dyna S. That will save you some cash. If they have cracks, though, they will fail, usually after a hard rain. If you never get rained on, they may last many years with cracks. But if it fails, and you are miles away from home, it's a pain in the ass. So it's up to you how much confidence you have in the old coils.

Some new plugs come with the tip screwed on real tight. Usually you can unscrew them with pliers. They used to come with the screw-on tips loose in the box, but it seems they come attached now.

More
24 Dec 2013 09:16 - 24 Dec 2013 09:16 #616301 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
I have replaced numerous stock coils and stock electronic ignitions after they have going bad.
Whenever I aquire an older bike I always awap out the ignition even the stock electronic ignition for Dyna stuff. I do not trust 30+ year old electronics even if they test OK. I installed a Dyna S and Dyna green coils in my 78 KZ650 about 30 years ago. The bike has over 150,000 miles using the Dyna stuff and I have NEVER messed with it since I installed it. I set the timing 30 years ago and it has been spot on ever since.
To answer your question, yes it is worth it. Once it is in and set up you never have to deal with it again.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 09:16 by baldy110.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz, 4TheKZ1000

More
24 Dec 2013 10:52 #616309 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
I'm with baldy on this one. I have a set of dyna coils and ignition from 1990, I had issues with points. Now, if you like original OEM stuff that we all know is a real PITA, then stay with the OEM. I guarantee you that the wires will be bad, no matter what. I replaced both coils and plate and haven't looked back since and I have put a gazillion miles on the bike and these coils and plate still function as new. I have replaced the 80 electronic ignition on my B3 with new dyna electronics. Hotter spark equals more power for combustion. I wanted to replace wires on my coils but I wasn't up for splicing and it appeared to me that the coils and wires are one piece. Do the Dyna, in the long run, considering how many points you will go through on tuneups you will be way ahead.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
24 Dec 2013 11:03 #616310 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
Elec Ignition is good. I do it to every bike. Better spark and no cam float from weakened springs. I have only replaced coils on one bike as they were cracked.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
24 Dec 2013 13:17 #616316 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Dyna S Electronic Ignition worth it?
Only issue I've seen with the Dyna has been a bad battery
Low voltage seem's to kill them.

My buddy Dave with a 78 KZ1000 went through three unit's
in two month's and after getting the third Dyna told him they WILL NOT
replace it with out proof of a new battery.
Installed new battery and over a year later not a problem one.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.