Ignition Coils

More
18 Nov 2013 13:27 #613397 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Ignition Coils
While the Dyna S is pretty pricey at around $125,, they will work with stock or any aftermarket coils. AFA a hotter spark, that is coil dependent, not points/igniter dependent. Dyna coils do produce a hotter spark than stock coils.So do the Accel coils I have on my GPz.
I think I paid around $125 for the coil/wires kit, and the wires were suppression type, so I did not need the expensive NGK suppression spark plug caps.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2013 13:52 #613402 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition Coils

koolaid_kid wrote: While the Dyna S is pretty pricey at around $125,, they will work with stock or any aftermarket coils.

Depends who you ask. If you use a four Ohm stock OEM coil in an ignition designed for 2.7 - 3 Ohms, it reduces the energy stored in the coil which is given by:

e = 1/2 L (I) squared

where L is the inductance of the coil (which is actually a flyback transformer)

since energy is current squared, increasing the resistance (which reduces current) does reduce energy.

As to whether increasing spark energy above stock amount results in better performance, I tend to doubt it but a more accurate advance curve might. Anyway, I think a 4 Ohm coil would work fine with a Dyna but they do recommend 3 Ohms.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Nov 2013 14:09 #613405 by koolaid_kid
Sure it reduces energy, I agreed with you in an earlier post. However, it will still work,which was my point.
In fact, the OP could use a set of used OEM coils from a bike that has electronic ignition and save some money, I probably have a set lying around, also.

1983 GPz 750

More
18 Nov 2013 19:42 #613432 by oredigger
Replied by oredigger on topic Ignition Coils
After talking with my Dad's mechanic, the coils should still be fine as the bike started up fine about a month ago before I took the carbs off to clean them up. Since that is the case I am just going to clean up the connection from the wire to the boot by trimming it down.

Even if they do still work, is it a common modification to replace the coils on these bikes that are 30+ years old? Might be something I look into before winter is over depending on where my budget is...

1980 KZ650-E1 LTD

More
18 Nov 2013 19:48 #613434 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition Coils
Dyna 3 ohm, and Accel 3ohm coils are a popular replacement, but watch how close both of these coils primary connections are to the mounting spacers, possibly, causing a short circuit. Replace this spacer with one made of Nylon, or plastic.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Nov 2013 23:53 #613443 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition Coils

oredigger wrote: Even if they do still work, is it a common modification to replace the coils on these bikes that are 30+ years old? Might be something I look into before winter is over depending on where my budget is...

Yes, it's highly advisable.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Nov 2013 07:34 #613456 by koolaid_kid

MFolks wrote: Dyna 3 ohm, and Accel 3ohm coils are a popular replacement, but watch how close both of these coils primary connections are to the mounting spacers, possibly, causing a short circuit. Replace this spacer with one made of Nylon, or plastic.

I put the Dyna coils on my GS1100E and Accels on my GPz. Both are great, although the Dynas were a bit more expensive because they did not come with the wires, which cost me another $20.. I highly recommend that you go with resistor wires, which removes the requirement for the expensive resistor caps.
AFA the posts, I used liquid electrical tape to cover the terrminals once they were finished., just to be sure.

1983 GPz 750