Should I have a digital ignition installed?

More
14 Aug 2013 13:15 - 14 Aug 2013 13:23 #601416 by chiaronate
Replied by chiaronate on topic Should I have a digital ignition installed?
OK here is the manual I bought on e-bay, it will take awhile to arrive because it's coming from New Zealand. I was going to post a picture of the cover on here but it won't let me for some reason. I figure it's worth the wait because it's a genuine Kawasaki manual and it specifically includes the Spectre models. I was also thinking about the ticking sound today and it finally occurred to me, the guy I bought that bike from removed the center stand because the spring was worn out. When I bought a new spring and attempted to put it back on, I found that the exhaust would have to be removed to re-attach it. It finally occurred to me that perhaps he removed the exhaust and didn't re-attach it tightly enough, or didn't replace a worn out gasket, and that may be causing an exhaust leak. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, sometimes the hamster in my head doesn't spin the wheel fast enough. i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/1d/8c/5e6e_12.JPG

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre
Last edit: 14 Aug 2013 13:23 by chiaronate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2013 15:12 #601430 by daveo
chiaronate

My bike seemed to be running ok, but the coils were weak. After looking at replacement options, I decided for Dynatek Mini-coils. The coil mounts on the frame don't work with them, so I had to improvise a different mounting system.

The engine immediately ran better, just with the coil change. The rest of the (original) ignition system was fine, and would have been adequate except for one important thing...non-adjustable timing. The DDK2-1 took care of that.

So-many things contribute to harmony. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Aug 2013 18:34 #601454 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Should I have a digital ignition installed?

chiaronate wrote: OK here is the manual I bought on e-bay, it will take awhile to arrive because it's coming from New Zealand. I was going to post a picture of the cover on here but it won't let me for some reason. I figure it's worth the wait because it's a genuine Kawasaki manual and it specifically includes the Spectre models. I was also thinking about the ticking sound today and it finally occurred to me, the guy I bought that bike from removed the center stand because the spring was worn out. When I bought a new spring and attempted to put it back on, I found that the exhaust would have to be removed to re-attach it. It finally occurred to me that perhaps he removed the exhaust and didn't re-attach it tightly enough, or didn't replace a worn out gasket, and that may be causing an exhaust leak. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, sometimes the hamster in my head doesn't spin the wheel fast enough. i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/1d/8c/5e6e_12.JPG

That's a great service manual I bought mine from the same guy. When you use the timing light be careful not to melt the induction clip on your head. I ruined my did not see that it had fell and was sitting on the head.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
14 Aug 2013 19:17 #601460 by chiaronate
Your bike is basically the same as mine, is the ignition timing not adjustable?

daveo wrote: chiaronate

My bike seemed to be running ok, but the coils were weak. After looking at replacement options, I decided for Dynatek Mini-coils. The coil mounts on the frame don't work with them, so I had to improvise a different mounting system.

The engine immediately ran better, just with the coil change. The rest of the (original) ignition system was fine, and would have been adequate except for one important thing...non-adjustable timing. The DDK2-1 took care of that.

So-many things contribute to harmony. :)

More
14 Aug 2013 19:18 #601461 by chiaronate
I figured being from Kawasaki it would be good. I've used a Clymer manual for something else and I wasn't impressed with it.

kaw-a-holic wrote:

chiaronate wrote: OK here is the manual I bought on e-bay, it will take awhile to arrive because it's coming from New Zealand. I was going to post a picture of the cover on here but it won't let me for some reason. I figure it's worth the wait because it's a genuine Kawasaki manual and it specifically includes the Spectre models. I was also thinking about the ticking sound today and it finally occurred to me, the guy I bought that bike from removed the center stand because the spring was worn out. When I bought a new spring and attempted to put it back on, I found that the exhaust would have to be removed to re-attach it. It finally occurred to me that perhaps he removed the exhaust and didn't re-attach it tightly enough, or didn't replace a worn out gasket, and that may be causing an exhaust leak. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, sometimes the hamster in my head doesn't spin the wheel fast enough. i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/1d/8c/5e6e_12.JPG

That's a great service manual I bought mine from the same guy. When you use the timing light be careful not to melt the induction clip on your head. I ruined my did not see that it had fell and was sitting on the head.

More
14 Aug 2013 22:41 - 14 Aug 2013 22:54 #601488 by daveo
chiaronate

That is correct. On the Dynatek system, the round blue aluminum plate that the pulsing coils are mounted to is slotted :) at the three hold-down bolt locations to allow rotation for timing adjustment.
Whereas the Kawasaki plate has three bolt holes...no adjustment! :(

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Aug 2013 22:54 by daveo.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 Aug 2013 22:48 #601489 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Should I have a digital ignition installed?
A bit of work with a file, and then the factory plate is adjustable.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 Aug 2013 22:56 - 14 Aug 2013 23:03 #601492 by daveo
Motor Head

Creative file work too!
But then, what timing (degree) mark to line up with?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 14 Aug 2013 23:03 by daveo.

More
14 Aug 2013 22:57 #601494 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Should I have a digital ignition installed?
Or access to a milling machine with a rotary table(yes I know a files is quicker, but with the machine, the slots are precise).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Aug 2013 23:08 #601498 by chiaronate
Great thanks, that mechanic may have the right solution after all. I definitely don't want to cob anything, and once it's adjusted I won't have to bother with it again.

daveo wrote: chiaronate

That is correct. On the Dynatek system, the round blue aluminum plate that the pulsing coils are mounted to is slotted :) at the three hold-down bolt locations to allow rotation for timing adjustment.
Whereas the Kawasaki plate has three bolt holes...no adjustment! :(

More
14 Aug 2013 23:40 #601500 by daveo
But then you would have that option, if you chose to. :P

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
17 Aug 2013 11:26 #601831 by daveo
The Dyna 2000 installation on the KZ1100-A2 was not too difficult, though a dedicated effort was necessary. I used adhesive-back velcro to hold the brain on the rear inner-fender, and had to rig something up to attach the Mini-coils.
The Dynatek 2000 instructions are systematic and easy to understand, like they were put together by someone who actually did an installation, and excellent tech assistance is available over the phone too. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2