any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?

More
04 Jun 2013 00:49 #590765 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?

martin_csr wrote: The 750-4 lens unit swap was easy & cheap, and an Emgo replacement bulb is less than $4. I'm still using the bulb that came w the headlight, but I got an Emgo from Z1 as a spare. ... not sure an auto parts store will have the H4 bulb. I guess a halogen sealed beam would be easier, though.

yeah im thinking about just getting a sealed one but in the long run it seems more "economical" to buy an unsealed unit and bulb
if i get the H4 its just plug and play right?
or will i need all the other tid bits the other guys were talking about?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2013 11:32 #590810 by schuss

Rainman wrote: I have run the previous version of the Truck-lite 7" LED headlight for several years on a 80 KZ750-H1 and it works great, lots of light at night.

Flickers a little at idle but has not been a problem. Unique low beam.

Good luck,
Jim

Jim - how did you work out mounting it? Newer model housing like other folks have suggested, or did it fit without modification?

More
04 Jun 2013 11:32 #590811 by schuss
I've been looking at HID -the light from them is pretty incredible, have always used them on my street bikes.

www.xenonrider.com/products/h4_bixenon_hid_kits.shtml

The bi-xenon ones are a single bulb that uses a magnetic reflector angle adjustment to switch from hi to low beam, so there's no warm up time between. Half the cost of LED, but you have to find a place for the ballasts.

That LED looks so efficient, though! (1.8a low beam, 3.8a high beam!!) That's so tempting. Looks nice, too.

More
04 Jun 2013 15:14 - 04 Jun 2013 18:37 #590831 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?

jbalet666 wrote: yeah im thinking about just getting a sealed one but in the long run it seems more "economical" to buy an unsealed unit and bulb
if i get the H4 its just plug and play right?
or will i need all the other tid bits the other guys were talking about?

Down the road, the H4 is probably cheaper. Easier too. Changing the bulb is a simple matter, whereas changing the sealed beam each time is more work. The Wagner part might be the safest choice, but they all have a 60W high beam - just keep in mind that the bike is 30+ yrs old & so is the wiring. The headlight has its own fuse, so you've got some protection there. Since stock is a 60W/50W sealed beam, the halogen part from Z1 you linked would be the closest match to stock. But I've gone several thousand miles w the 60W/55W H4 750 stuff. The 650-CSR is very similar to the 750-4s & I bet the wiring is about the same.

And the 750 H4 stuff is plug n play... very easy.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2013 18:37 by martin_csr.