any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?

More
14 May 2013 00:20 #587260 by jbalet666
so i have a 81 kz650h1
and i ride quite alot at night in the country, i noticed that my light (which is fairly old) could be brighter (mainly by todays standard)
theres no electrical problems
i just want a little more oomf from my light
does anybody know of any led conversions or anything like that for a reasonable price?
:S

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2013 01:25 #587268 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?
There is a cheap halogen drop in replacement that increases the light by a lot.

www.summitracing.com/parts/WAG-H6024/

I heve not tried any LED lights.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 May 2013 01:27 - 14 May 2013 01:28 #587269 by bountyhunter
The LED ones are REALLY pricey and I have heard mixed reviews on reliability.

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/141/4...TglLcCFct7QgodIHwANw

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 May 2013 01:28 by bountyhunter.

More
14 May 2013 11:16 #587321 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?
I have the same bike and installed the halogen stuff from a 750-Ltd-4... very easy, plug n play.
You just need an H4 bulb, lens unit, & grommet. If you check the diagrams, you'll see that everything else is the same. Z1Enterprises.com has the bulb. The lens unit I got was a little cloudy but it cleaned up very easily.

More
14 May 2013 11:21 #587324 by 650ed

bountyhunter wrote: There is a cheap halogen drop in replacement that increases the light by a lot.

www.summitracing.com/parts/WAG-H6024/

I heve not tried any LED lights.

+1 I'm very happy with the Wagner Halogen. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 May 2013 14:35 - 14 May 2013 14:38 #587370 by CoolerKing
Replied by CoolerKing on topic any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?
I pulled a 7" H4 style headlight lens/refractor from a later model model bike at the junkyard and it fit in my 78 KZ650's headlight bucket perfectly for less then $10

1978 KZ650-C2
1976 KZ400D-3 (sold)
Last edit: 14 May 2013 14:38 by CoolerKing.

More
14 May 2013 14:47 - 14 May 2013 14:57 #587375 by steell
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou can buy a 7" LED light from Truck-Lite, DOT approved, on eBay for ~$200
I've been thinking about buying one, just been to many other things I need more right now.

eBay:

When properly mounted, exceeds FMVSS-108 and CMVSS-108 DOT requirements for low beam and high beam performance
Excellent option for light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, off-road vehicles, classic cars, motorcycles and more.
Metalized reflector optics provide a lighting experience that smooth and clean across the driving surface
Provides a brighter, crisper and whiter light output, closer to the color temperature of daylight, dramatically improving light projection distance and overall visibility
Durability and dependability of LED lighting provides a solid-state, bulb-free headlamp design that impervious to damage from shock and vibration
Military grade, die-cast aluminum housing and non-yellowing, polycarbonate lens offer optimum protection against damage from impact, roadside debris and other hazards
Electronics are sealed in epoxy to resist from damage caused by corrosion or moisture
Advanced circuitry protects against voltage spikes up to 600v
Drop-in replacement for #6014, 6015, 6016, H6024 and Par 56 headlamp designs
Uses standard, H4, 3-blade wiring connector
Equipped with Truck-Lite 3-Year Limited Warranty.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 14 May 2013 14:57 by steell.

More
14 May 2013 15:35 #587384 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic any LED headlight replacements suggestions!?
yeah i saw some LED units for other bikes and i thought it was an insane price difference

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
14 May 2013 15:40 #587385 by jbalet666

martin_csr wrote: I have the same bike and installed the halogen stuff from a 750-Ltd-4... very easy, plug n play.
You just need an H4 bulb, lens unit, & grommet. If you check the diagrams, you'll see that everything else is the same. Z1Enterprises.com has the bulb. The lens unit I got was a little cloudy but it cleaned up very easily.

see that was my first idea but i got kind of iffy seeing that it was a sealed unit i thought they were pretty model specific
but i much rather do this if at all possible
so you just replaced the lens unit to a later kawi one that utilized a ruseable bulb and got a halogen bulb?
luckily there is the largest bike swap meet in this area this coming weekend

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
14 May 2013 15:45 #587387 by jbalet666
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...logen&item=TU20-0079

what is your gusys thoughts on this?
is what you did compared to this brighter ED?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
14 May 2013 15:55 - 14 May 2013 15:56 #587390 by 650ed
The ad says:

"Headlight Sealed Beam 7" 50/60w 12v - Halogen"

I would prefer a bulb that drew 60w on high beam 35w on low beam. That is real close to the stock load (50/35w) and still provides plenty of light. The Wagner is rated 60/35w. Below is the spec. Ed

This Wagner halogen H6024 sealed beam features a custom-designed glass lense that is manufactured to exact factory specifications. This H6024 Wagner bulb uses a non-reflective bottom shelf for increased lamp effectiveness in rain, snow, and fog. A special grinding process on the aiming pads ensures a perfect plane, making headlight aiming an easy process. This Wagner headlight bulb even uses spray-coated ferrules with rust-inhibiting lacquer to eliminate corrosion. It features high-grade brass terminals and a glass exhaust tube to ensure a long life of reliable performance and the beam is filled with Argon gas and is 100 percent leak-checked for maximum light performance. Get more light and better performance with this Wagner H6024 halogen sealed beam. Ensure safe nighttime driving by making sure your headlights are burning bright with this Wagner H6024 halogen headlight bulb. This headlight measures 7" Round and features a three prong connector to plug into your factory headlight wiring. It is designed to be an easy factory replacement for your vehicle’s burned out high/low beam headlight bulb and is rated at 12 volts and 60/35 watts with a candlepower rating of 35,000/27,000.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 14 May 2013 15:56 by 650ed.

More
14 May 2013 17:05 #587404 by bountyhunter
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

steell wrote: You can buy a 7" LED light from Truck-Lite, DOT approved, on eBay for ~$200
I've been thinking about buying one, just been to many other things I need more right now.

eBay:

When properly mounted, exceeds FMVSS-108 and CMVSS-108 DOT requirements for low beam and high beam performance
Excellent option for light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, off-road vehicles, classic cars, motorcycles and more.
Metalized reflector optics provide a lighting experience that smooth and clean across the driving surface
Provides a brighter, crisper and whiter light output, closer to the color temperature of daylight, dramatically improving light projection distance and overall visibility
Durability and dependability of LED lighting provides a solid-state, bulb-free headlamp design that impervious to damage from shock and vibration
Military grade, die-cast aluminum housing and non-yellowing, polycarbonate lens offer optimum protection against damage from impact, roadside debris and other hazards
Electronics are sealed in epoxy to resist from damage caused by corrosion or moisture
Advanced circuitry protects against voltage spikes up to 600v
Drop-in replacement for #6014, 6015, 6016, H6024 and Par 56 headlamp designs
Uses standard, H4, 3-blade wiring connector
Equipped with Truck-Lite 3-Year Limited Warranty.

Will that light assembly fit into the standard headlight bucket? It looks like it has some circuitry and maybe a heatsink (?) on the backside that would project rearward. The problem with LEDs is (and always has been) power dissipation in the LED.

1979 KZ-750 Twin