GPz550 No Spark

More
13 Aug 2012 16:18 #542310 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic GPz550 No Spark
Inside the sparkplug caps are 5000 ohm, non serviceable resistors. To test them,unscrew the cap from the sparkplug wire, and using a multimeter set on OHMS(looks like an upside down horseshoe, the letter Omega), put the meter on the setting of 20K. Place one of the probes inside the sparkplug cap where the sparkplug wire went, and the other probe inside where the plug went.

If the cap(s) are any good, you'll see resistance,no resistance means their bad. If the caps test good, before re-installing them,if possible cut about 1/4" off the end & screw them on.

Have you cheked the ignition coils for input voltage? Here's how to do that:

Testing Kawasaki Ignition Coils For Input Voltage

When voltage testing Kawasaki Ignition Coils, the following needs to be done:

1. Remove the fuel/gas tank to access the coils.

2. Fully charge the battery.

3. Using a multimeter, set it up for VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

4. Turn on the ignition switch and the run/stop switch to “Run”.

5. Put the multimeter’s RED probe on where the red or red/yellow wire goes on the ignition coil.

6. Put the multimeter’s BLACK probe on either the battery Negative(-) post/terminal or a good frame ground.

7. You should be able to see battery voltage at the ignition coil connection, but this depends on the current draw of other items in the same circuit.

8. If the tested voltage is down to 8-9 volts, you probably need to clean the many and various electrical connectors.

9. To check the spark output at the sparkplugs, use these:
Ignition Spark Testers
www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?pr...ivision=1&category=8
www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?pr...ivision=1&category=8 Instead of grounding the sparkplug with the sparkplug wire attached, looking for a spark. This method puts the IC Igniter and ignition coils at risk of failure due to high currents, and possible internal shorting.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2012 16:20 #542311 by MFolks
Replacement sparkplug caps can be bought at most Japanese motorcycle shops, or at www.z1enterprises.com under NGK items.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
13 Aug 2012 17:51 #542337 by marsracer
Replied by marsracer on topic GPz550 No Spark
All I did was cut the ends of the plug wires off and reinstall them. The thing has never ran this great before. Now I'm excited to take it out for another ride today.

More
13 Aug 2012 18:19 #542341 by MFolks
A nice, simple fix is the best way, no parts needed or difficult testing.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
13 Aug 2012 19:02 #542362 by marsracer
Replied by marsracer on topic GPz550 No Spark
No out of pocket expenses on an older bike that I have no idea how long it will last. I hope a while for as good as it runs now. But while I had the tank off, all my gas leaked out. So now I have to wait till pay day to take her on a little cruise. Thanks again.

More
13 Aug 2012 19:54 #542371 by MFolks
I'd replace the sparkplug wires if possible. 7mm copper sparkplug wires are available by the foot at most auto parts stores. Some ignition coils have molded in plug wires, to see if yours are the replaceable type, look carefully at the sparkplug wire connections on the coils, if they have ridges on the securing caps, they are the replacable type. If molded in, your only choice will be to buy new ignition coils.

Read this:

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number, like B8RES).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and supression caps or supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come awfully close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires “High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2