Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
13 Jun 2012 09:56 #528789 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !

Motor Head wrote: Don't run resistor caps with suppression wires, or resistor plugs. Use only 1 source of suppression, if needed. Or you can run without, but it may cause interference for some ones Radio.

Motor Head you got me thinking . I did not check the plug caps on this bike ! I ran out this morning and tested them with my Meter and I had one that was shot and the other three had way to much resistance . These are not the kind you can take apart to clean either . Just to get the bike running I am thinking about just doing away with the caps and put some plug ends on the wires and run it until I can get the suppression wires . I will be doing the upgrading coils some other time ( this winter ) . Yes I might play havoc with radios but I do not have one on my bike so maybe it will make the cars stay away from me more . :evil:

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Jun 2012 10:03 #528792 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !
The caps might be all of your problem. Do your plug wires screw into the coils? Pull the rubber boot back, where the plug wire goes into the coil, then try to twist the plug wire to the left. If it un-screws, you can get new solid core wire at the Auto Parts store by the foot. Then new NGK caps, or some Non resistor ends for the new wire. But the new coils will be the best long term solution.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
13 Jun 2012 10:05 #528793 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !
I added ends to plug the plugs into and got a nice fat blue spark but I need to get inof tops for my plugs . I will be looking for some in my shop .

82 KZ750 LTD H3