Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
11 Jun 2012 14:53 #528190 by MuzzleMike
Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD ! was created by MuzzleMike
For the last 2 years I have been chasing this problem around . It has been like a ghost ! For once I found it . Yesterday I thought I fixed it by resetting my carbs and it came back . The bike when it got hot would not run right and then idle way down and the shut down ! I used my head and checked the coils while that where hot and found they where shot . I this only starts happening on warm days also . Like around 80 and above . I have decided I am going with the Dyna Coils 3ohm from Z1 . I have a question tho . I would like to get rid of the resister caps on my plugs . Could I go with 7mm Suppression Core wires and do away with them or should I just go ahead and get the copper core wires and stay with the resister caps ? I will be getting new wires anyways and if I am going to stay with resister caps I will be getting new caps also along with plugs .

Thanks
Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Jun 2012 18:13 #528229 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !
Don't run resistor caps with suppression wires, or resistor plugs. Use only 1 source of suppression, if needed. Or you can run without, but it may cause interference for some ones Radio.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MuzzleMike

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
11 Jun 2012 18:23 #528235 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !
I am wanting to get rid of the old copper core wire and caps . Will it be OK to just go with the suppression wire instead ?

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• Motor Head
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:26 #528236 by Motor Head
If you use suppression wire, don't use suppression/ resistor caps or resistor plugs.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
11 Jun 2012 18:30 - 11 Jun 2012 18:30 #528240 by MuzzleMike
Then it will be OK to go with the suppression wires only as long as I go with non suppression plugs and no caps ? I do not know anything about changing over sorry if I am being thick .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3
Last edit: 11 Jun 2012 18:30 by MuzzleMike.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:31 #528242 by Motor Head
Yep, just choose 1 form of resistor/ suppression. Otherwise you will be lowering your spark voltage too far.

More
11 Jun 2012 18:31 #528243 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Upgrading the Coils on my 82KZ750LTD !
If not already done, would also assure valve clearances are within specs.

Too tight valve often causes shut down on warm engine at idle (due to loss of compression when the engine warms).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
11 Jun 2012 18:37 #528247 by MuzzleMike
GREAT !! That will save me some cash and clean the bike up a little ! Thanks Patton ! I checked the valves last winter and adjusted them and this happens when it is hot days only . When it is in the low 60s and lower no problem . It has the coils it came with off of the show room floor and I know they where not the best back then .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

More
11 Jun 2012 19:10 #528263 by Patton

MuzzleMike wrote: ...am going with the Dyna Coils 3ohm from Z1 . I have a question tho . I would like to get rid of the resister caps on my plugs . Could I go with 7mm Suppression Core wires and do away with them or should I just go ahead and get the copper core wires and stay with the resister caps ? I will be getting new wires anyways and if I am going to stay with resister caps I will be getting new caps also along with plugs ....

Consistent with Motor Head's recommendations --
It's okay to use the new Dyna suppressor plug wires together with their built-in non-resistor caps, and discontinue using the stock resistor caps (which are old and perhaps less than perfect). Along with standard non-resistor spark plugs.

If the bike at hand has a stock Kawasaki igniter style electronic ignition, the stock coil will likely have less than 3 ohms resistance.
And the stock Kawasaki igniter style electronic ignition won't perform as well with the higher than stock coil resistance of a green Dyna 3 ohm coil.

If converting to a Dyna-S electronic ignition, the green Dyna 3 ohm coils would be just fine.
In which event, the igniter is no longed used and may be removed.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: MuzzleMike

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
11 Jun 2012 20:28 - 11 Jun 2012 20:30 #528284 by MuzzleMike
Patton I am planning on putting on the Dyna 2000 system on it . I just can not do it all at once and since the coils need to be replaced I will start with them with new suppressor wires . The wires from Z1 are the same price either way and I will be able to save some cash not getting the caps .

Thanks Patton !

Mike

PS I am going to starter her off with new plugs just to do it right !

82 KZ750 LTD H3
Last edit: 11 Jun 2012 20:30 by MuzzleMike.

More
11 Jun 2012 23:18 #528345 by Patton

MuzzleMike wrote: ...planning on putting on the Dyna 2000 system on it . I just can not do it all at once and since the coils need to be replaced I will start with them with new suppressor wires...

According to Z1E's listing, the Dyna 2000 uses 2.2 ohm coils.

Am uncertain how the Dyna 2000 will perform with the green Dyna 3 ohm coils used with Dyna-S.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
11 Jun 2012 23:22 #528349 by MuzzleMike
Sorry Patton . I had the Dyna 2000 on my mind when I wrote the last post . I ment Dyna S .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3