more wiring questions,mini blinkers

More
27 Jan 2012 01:47 - 27 Jan 2012 23:49 #500275 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic more wiring questions,mini blinkers

newowner79kz750b1 wrote: The stock lights were dual fitment. But the new lights I bought are only single fitment. At the time I bought them I didn't know the difference. Since it doesnt bother me that they are single fitment and won't turn on for driving lights how do I wire them up. I just want signals. Lol. I dont care if they don't come on like they originally did when stock

Wiring diagram shows stock front lights as dual filament, and stock rear lights as single filament.

With the stock setup, the front dual filament lights served as both running lights and turn-blinkers. Whereas the rear lights served only as turn-blinkers. Which explains blue wires providing running light voltage to the front lights, and no blue wires to the rear blinkers.

Am understanding that each aftermarket light uses a single filament bulb, and has two wires, being a black wire and a black/white wire. Indicating one wire for ground and the other wire for battery voltage.
It also indicates that the threaded light mounting post is not intended to serve as a ground.

Would figure out which wire -- either black or black/white -- connects to the center of the bulb base, and which wire connects the bulb socket to ground.

The ground wire from each of the four lights -- be it black or black/white -- connects to the black/yellow wire from the bike's wiring harness.

The other wire from the left front light connects to the green wire from the bike's wiring harness.
The other wire from the right front light connects to the grey wire from the bike's wiring harness.
Leave the blue wires unconnected, and tape the ends to prevent shorting.

To see the in KZr's FILEBASE,
click here > www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/284-z750b4

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:49 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newowner79kz750b1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz750b4
More
27 Jan 2012 16:14 - 27 Jan 2012 16:18 #500343 by newowner79kz750b1
Replied by newowner79kz750b1 on topic more wiring questions,mini blinkers
thats where things get a little tricky for me. i dont no if some one rewired the bike or if have difference colored wires or what. the front have one blue, one gray and one black/white,and the back only has one gray wire.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 16:18 by newowner79kz750b1.

More
27 Jan 2012 16:45 - 27 Jan 2012 23:53 #500346 by Patton

newowner79kz750b1 wrote: thats where things get a little tricky for me. i dont no if some one rewired the bike or if have difference colored wires or what. the front have one blue, one gray and one black/white,and the back only has one gray wire.

:huh:

Does this mean there is a blue wire and a grey wire and a black/wire coming out of the bike harness inside the headlight nacelle, whereby three wires are available as needed for attaching to the black wire and black/white wire built into the each front light?

Does this mean there is only one grey wire coming out of the bike harness under the seat over the rear fender, which is the only wire available for hooking up to the black wire and black/white wire built into each rear light?

In other words, is this what you have to work with for the blinkers?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:53 by Patton.

• newowner79kz750b1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz750b4
More
27 Jan 2012 17:06 #500347 by newowner79kz750b1
Correct. The bike is at a friends house and I can't be 100 percent positive though. I wish I could go check but works got me tied up

More
27 Jan 2012 18:19 - 27 Jan 2012 23:41 #500359 by Patton
May the mounting post itself serve as ground connection between the light and bike frame?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:41 by Patton.

• newowner79kz750b1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz750b4
More
27 Jan 2012 18:29 #500360 by newowner79kz750b1
The post itself does intact as a ground. There is also a wire for ground too

More
27 Jan 2012 18:41 - 27 Jan 2012 23:54 #500363 by Patton

newowner79kz750b1 wrote: The post itself does intact as a ground. There is also a wire for ground too

The lightseems designed for using either (a) its post for ground or (b) one wire for ground.
For example, the wire ground could be used if the light is mounted in a fashion where there's no conductivity between the its post and the bike frame.

Will each light be mounted whereby its post will provide connection to the bike frame as ground?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:54 by Patton.

More
27 Jan 2012 18:58 - 27 Jan 2012 23:54 #500369 by Patton

newowner79kz750b1 wrote: thats where things get a little tricky for me. i dont no if some one rewired the bike or if have difference colored wires or what. the front have one blue, one gray and one black/white,and the back only has one gray wire.

Having only the one grey wire from the bike's harness for the rear blinkers poses a problem.

The lone grey wire is supposed to provide pulsating battery positive voltage only to the right rear blinker light.

There is supposed to be also a green wire from the bike's harness to provide pulsating battery positive voltage only to the left rear blinker light.

Where the light mounting posts are serving as grounds, the black/yellow wire from the bike's harness may remain unused.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:54 by Patton.

More
27 Jan 2012 19:23 - 27 Jan 2012 23:56 #500372 by Patton
Inside the headlight nacelle ---

Besides the grey wire and blue wire and black/yellow wire coming from the bike's harness, there is supposed to also be a green wire from the bike's harness.

The blue wire remains unused in this application with single filament bulbs.

Where the light mounting posts are serving as grounds, the black/yellow wire from the bike's harness may also remain unused.

The grey wire is supposed to provide pulsating battery positive voltage to the right front blinker light (same as grey wire does for right rear blinker connection). The grey wire attaches to whichever right front light wire blinks the light.

The AWOL green wire is supposed to provide pulsating battery positive voltage to the left front blinker light. The green wire attaches to whichever left front light wire blinks the light.

It's a mystery why the green wire is missing at the front and also missing at the rear.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:56 by Patton.

More
27 Jan 2012 19:23 #500373 by Breaker19
Replied by Breaker19 on topic more wiring questions,mini blinkers

The wire colors are not necessarily as important as function, don't get too wrapped up on the colors or tracer colors. You can tell, however, if someone did rewire the thing. The OE connectors are easily identifiable, just look at the others on the bike. If the connectors were cut off (missing) or look vastly different from others either in the bucket or elsewhere, your theory may be correct. Doesn't mean they're not functional, though. A meter or test-light will be required to simply nail down which wire provides power to the Left and Right turn signal when the switch is actuated in that direction. Then, just hook them up as Patton indicates in his posts.

2003 Suzuki DR650 Dual-Sport
1982 KZ1100A2 - GONE! Traded-in for a '12 Concours 14
www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-Resto/169238286503527

More
28 Jan 2012 00:13 - 28 Jan 2012 00:27 #500399 by Patton

newowner79kz750b1 wrote: The post itself does intact as a ground. There is also a wire for ground too

Which wire from the light may serve as ground, the black or the black/white?

With the bulb removed, an ohmmeter could be connected between the light mounting post and the end of the black wire. If nothing registers, such black wire is probably for battery positive.

With the bulb removed, an ohmmeter could be connected between the light mounting post and the end of the black/white wire. If nothing registers, such black/white wire is probably for battery positive.

Whichever of the two wires from the light is for battery positive, the other wire should be the alternative for ground (same as the post itself).

The wire from the light for battery positive will connect to a grey wire from the bike's harness to the right blinker. Or will connect to a green wire from the bike's harness to the left blinker.

If the ground wire from the light is attached to battery positive from the bike's harness (grey or green or blue), it will likely short to ground.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Jan 2012 00:27 by Patton.

• newowner79kz750b1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz750b4
More
03 Feb 2012 01:52 #501686 by newowner79kz750b1
YAY! got the signals to work. just had to figure out which one was the one for the turn signal switch, hook that up and then leave the blue wire undone and bingo!
thank u guys for all your help! i couldnt have done it with out ya!

quick question. i have an led brake light that im going to be installing next week. what am i in for? can i just wire it up? do i need any extra parts ect. thanks!