Brighter Light?

More
14 Nov 2011 01:07 #488389 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Better Light?

steell wrote:

H1Vindicator wrote:

mtbspeedfreak wrote: ...

If you convert to HID, you must use a reflector specifically designed for HID bulbs as HID light are significantly brighter than most [all ;)] other bulbs. Using such a bright bulb in a reflector not designed for it will blind oncoming traffic.

Also, HID light produce UV radiation that can be harmful to the human eye.
HID headlight assemblies have a lens that blocks the UVs.
An incorrect beam pattern & lack of UV filtering is why most if not all HID conversion kits are illegal for street use.

Er, no, they are illegal for street use because they are not DOT certified, and they're not DOT certified because no one wants to spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get them certified.

I've never heard of anyone enforcing it though.

Check out the article at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

Correct, HID lights (as LED turn signals, aftermarket 4-1 exhausts, ported and polished heads, big bore kits, suspension and brake swaps are illegal as they are not DOT approved). Just a disclaimer B)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2011 20:44 #488495 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Better Light?

steell wrote:

H1Vindicator wrote:

mtbspeedfreak wrote: ...

If you convert to HID, you must use a reflector specifically designed for HID bulbs as HID light are significantly brighter than most [all ;)] other bulbs. Using such a bright bulb in a reflector not designed for it will blind oncoming traffic.

Also, HID light produce UV radiation that can be harmful to the human eye.
HID headlight assemblies have a lens that blocks the UVs.
An incorrect beam pattern & lack of UV filtering is why most if not all HID conversion kits are illegal for street use.

Er, no, they are illegal for street use because they are not DOT certified, and they're not DOT certified because no one wants to spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get them certified.

I've never heard of anyone enforcing it though.

Check out the article at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

I just did a conversion for a neighbor up the street. Never met the guy before but he liked mine. Found out at that time he was a County deputy Sheriff. I have had mine on the bike now for a few years and never been stopped because of it. Never have been flashed at either by oncoming traffic.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
14 Nov 2011 21:07 #488499 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Better Light?
Like I said, I have never heard of it being enforced, and the deputy probably doesn't even know it's illegal because it a Federal Regulation.

Heck, most of the stuff we do to our bikes (post 78 anyway) is illegal.

I did read that they were nailing people in California for non stock exhaust though, but that's California.

Mod away!! They have to catch my hot rod 750 twin first!! :laugh:

KD9JUR