plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

More
01 Sep 2011 14:28 #473512 by hal0tw0
Hello,
I was just wondering what the consensus is regarding plug gaps in modded ignitions. I have a 76 KZ900 with Dyan S, Accel coil and wires. Book says .028" to .032" stock. Would it be OK to widen it to say .035"+ with that hot of a spark? Or is that pushing it?
Thanks

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2011 14:47 #473514 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?
I think that's about what the forum member "Otakar" run on his bike, but I believe he's got the 2.2 ohm gray Dyna coils with some custom made sparkplug wires.

His plug gap may be as high as 0.045" or more.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Sep 2011 22:28 #473647 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?
Thanks, Ive bumped them open to about .035 and may go higher based on some test runs. Didnt have time to take it out afterwards though...

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

More
02 Sep 2011 04:18 - 02 Sep 2011 04:19 #473716 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?
I have never seen data showing why that would improve performance. The ignition is a flyback converter design where a fixed amount of energy is stored during the "switch closed" duration and released across the spark gap when the switch opens. Increasing the spark gap will increase the voltage level at which the spark occurs but will not change the total energy delivered to the spark once it fires. FYI, opening up the gap does increase the voltage stress on the secondary winding since the spark occurs at a higher voltage level. On old (stock) coils it is probably not a good idea. I assume newer coils could handle it, I just don't see how it would increase performance.

As always, I wonder, if any increase in power or economy could be obtained, why would the bike makers not be shipping them with wider gapped plugs to take advantage of it?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 04:19 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Sep 2011 11:24 #473756 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

bountyhunter wrote: As always, I wonder, if any increase in power or economy could be obtained, why would the bike makers not be shipping them with wider gapped plugs to take advantage of it?

I hear you, but I think with all aftermarket parts, its a cost decision. I mean, you could ask yourself why wouldnt every 350 chevy motor come factory with all those aftermarket go fast parts that are dynoed to make power. The original manufacturer has to view cost/value/performance/functionality/etc of everything it puts on the machine in order to sell it to the masses.

More
02 Sep 2011 14:35 #473785 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?
What Bounty hunter says about the stress being increased on the parts is true. But ignition parts can almost be measured in decades, rather than years, so if you cut the life in half, from 30 to 15 years, what are the chances you'll notice?

However, if the parts can handle it, the motor will seem more lively with a larger gap. I don't know if you would notice any difference from .032 to .035, though. You'd have to really bump it up to .040 and I think Otto bumps it up more than that considerably.

On a well designed, well tuned motor, (stock engine), research has shown that spark energy won't alter performance by much. If changing spark energy changes the running by a noticeable amount, then usually that means something else is wrong. The flame front, starting at the spark, should move faster than the swirl of raw charge moving through the spark, so that means after the initial arc, the spark is just arcing through exhausted gas, so makes no difference.

Increasing the size of the gap, though, increases the size of the initial flame front, so this will increase rate that the mixture burns.

Notice, in either case, the spark duration won't matter much, and with flyback ignitions, greater spark duration requires greater spark energy (all else being equal). So the spark energy, in a stock motor (designed to run good at all RPMs), won't really affect the performance.

John De Armond had a great article on it somewhere.

More
02 Sep 2011 16:24 - 02 Sep 2011 16:25 #473842 by bountyhunter

hal0tw0 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: As always, I wonder, if any increase in power or economy could be obtained, why would the bike makers not be shipping them with wider gapped plugs to take advantage of it?

I hear you, but I think with all aftermarket parts, its a cost decision. I mean, you could ask yourself why wouldnt every 350 chevy motor come factory with all those aftermarket go fast parts that are dynoed to make power. The original manufacturer has to view cost/value/performance/functionality/etc of everything it puts on the machine in order to sell it to the masses.

No, actually, Kawi has been making a pretty good electronic ignition for about 30 years that is pretty comparable in performance to aftermarket types. I still would ask, if widening the gap made an improvement, why don't they do it? If there is any actual dyno data showing a repeatable improvement, I would be interested in seeing it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 16:25 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Sep 2011 16:25 #473843 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

MFolks wrote: I think that's about what the forum member "Otakar" run on his bike, but I believe he's got the 2.2 ohm gray Dyna coils with some custom made sparkplug wires.

Yes I run considerably more. Here is a thread that has a discussion about it.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/351334-wh...plug-gap-do-you-run-

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
02 Sep 2011 16:28 #473844 by bountyhunter

loudhvx wrote:
Increasing the size of the gap, though, increases the size of the initial flame front, so this will increase rate that the mixture burns.

I am not sure I get that. In reality, you want a slow burning flame to avoid pinging. Higher octane fuels actually burn slower preventing the flame front from "jumping ahead" or jumping around which causes pinging.

I have not seen any data indicating that a taller spark makes anything burn better. If there is data, I would be interested in reading about it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Sep 2011 16:28 #473846 by bountyhunter

otakar wrote:

MFolks wrote: I think that's about what the forum member "Otakar" run on his bike, but I believe he's got the 2.2 ohm gray Dyna coils with some custom made sparkplug wires.

Yes I run considerably more. Here is a thread that has a discussion about it.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/351334-wh...plug-gap-do-you-run-

What exactly is it supposed to improve and has it ever been measured?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Sep 2011 16:31 #473848 by loudhvx
Well, really, the same could be said about making the gap smaller. If the gap just needs to be some tiny amount, why make it as big as it is?

It's probably just a tradeoff and they (probably not Kaw, whoever makes plugs or ignitions etc. maybe even Kettering himself) arrived at the gaps that come stock for reliability, fuel economy, (emmisions?) etc.

I don't have any dyno data, but I'm pretty sure i didn't imagine the difference. But a good study on it would be nice to see.

More
02 Sep 2011 16:41 - 02 Sep 2011 16:58 #473851 by loudhvx

bountyhunter wrote:

loudhvx wrote:

I am not sure I get that. In reality, you want a slow burning flame to avoid pinging. Higher octane fuels actually burn slower preventing the flame front from "jumping ahead" or jumping around which causes pinging.

I have not seen any data indicating that a taller spark makes anything burn better. If there is data, I would be interested in reading about it.

It's the same idea behind using two plugs firing at the same time in the same cylinder. I don't know about buring "better" but a larger flame front will spread faster, similarly at two fronts will burn the charge faster.

And yes, this means you can run with less advance on the ignition. This is advantageous since you won't start building pressure from combustion until much later... so it won't be trying to push the piston back down while it is coming upward on the compression stroke. This frees up some crank horsepower for moving the bike forward, rather than trying to compress the burning gases. So if you keep the timing advanced to where it's on the verge of knocking, opening up the gap may push it over the edge and cause knock. Hopefully there is some margin there, and the rider can recognize detonation when he hears it. I think twin plug heads use less advance (at least the ones where both plugs fire at the same time).

At least this is the thoery as I understood it.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 16:58 by loudhvx.