plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

More
02 Sep 2011 17:45 #473863 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?
Here we go again. Octane has nothing to do with burn rate. I don't know who started this roomer and wen.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2011 18:09 #473869 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

otakar wrote: Here we go again. Octane has nothing to do with burn rate. I don't know who started this roomer and wen.

Octane is the RESISTANCE to flame ignition/burn, correct?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
02 Sep 2011 18:22 #473874 by otakar
Octane is the ability to prevent auto-ignition under given temperature and pressure. "Octane" is actually a Hydrocarbon which is used as a standard for this measurement. 100 Octane means that a given fuel/hydrocarbon has the same ignition properties as actual "Octane" but not necessarily the same burn properties. Aviation fuel for example comes in octane ratings from 87 to 130 but all of these burn much slower than automotive fuels. Racing fuels burn faster than "pump" fuels. No matter what octane they are. "Nytro" for example, has a very LOW octane but burns extremely quickly. 130AG has a very hi octane but burns very slowly. These fuels are engineered for engines that operate at different RPM ranges. Aviation fuel for example must be able to run in engines that have a sustained RPM range of 1800 to 3500 RPM

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

More
02 Sep 2011 18:26 - 02 Sep 2011 18:29 #473875 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?
D'oh. Otto beat me to it.

Not really resistance to ignition, but more properly resistance to premature ignition.

Premature ignition is ignition from a source other than the spark or the flamefront created by the spark.

The premature ignition can acutally take place after the spark. This sounds contradictory, but is not. When the flamefront starts, the gases expand, compressing the un-burnt gases elsewhere in the cylinder. If those un-burnt gases ignite as a result, that is considered premature because it ignited before the flamefront reached it. Octane is used to prevent that premature ignition, but it has little to no affect on the desired ignition of gases at the flamefront.

Premature ignition (I think) is where the term pre-ignition comes from. When there is enough pre-ignition happening in the cylinder, you can eventually get what is called detonation, which is what hammers the piston. Knock and ping are words used to describe the sounds, but I'm not sure those words are as closely defined as pre-ignition and detonation.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 18:29 by loudhvx.

More
02 Sep 2011 18:31 - 02 Sep 2011 18:33 #473877 by otakar
I thought "auto-ignition" and "premature ignition" meant the same thing. I just did not want to use the words "premature ignition" because they sound too much like another phrase.:whistle: :woohoo: :blush: "detonation" is when the fuel no longer has the engineered burn qualities and actually "explodes"

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 18:33 by otakar.

More
02 Sep 2011 18:38 #473881 by loudhvx
:laugh:

I think we should point out that the only desired ignition in the cylinder is the controlled burn from the spark and flame that expands from that.

By increasing the spark gap, we are just speeding it up slightly, in a controlled manner.

Auto-ignition/pre-ignition happens spontaneously and is uncontrolled and undesireable, and can lead to detonation. All bad.

From what I've read, preignition is much harder to detect, but can still cause major damage. Supposedly it results in a relatively small, clean hole in a piston crown.

Detonation, will make a hole that looks like it was hammered into the piston with fractures etc..

More
02 Sep 2011 18:58 - 02 Sep 2011 19:01 #473882 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

loudhvx wrote: :laugh:

I think we should point out that the only desired ignition in the cylinder is the controlled burn from the spark and flame that expands from that.

By increasing the spark gap, we are just speeding it up slightly, in a controlled manner.

That's what I don't understand because I can not imagine why. If you look at the volume inside the cylinder compared to the size of the spark, it is many orders of magnitude larger. I can't get how changing the height of the spark could have any appreciable effect on how the burn radiates out from the point of ignition.

The reason this gets me is because I was a power supply designer. The flyback converter (which a car/bike coil actually is) is one of the oldest designs known. It would be very easy to increase both the voltage or energy at the plug by simply tweaking the coil (transformer) a little at the expense of a bigger coil. If there was any horsepower to be had that way, I am pretty sure the Japanese bike makers would be exploiting it, they are pretty slick at electronics. Given that everything has cost and tradeoff, I always assumed they increased the spark energy until there was no more gain to be had there and stopped. There is no question a weak spark can cause loss of power, I have just not seen evidence that a "super" or "increased" spark increases power beyond what a proper running ignition delivers.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Sep 2011 19:01 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Sep 2011 19:23 #473886 by otakar
OK Than I will only say one thing. Dual Spark Plug Ignitions. Why?

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

More
02 Sep 2011 19:40 #473892 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

otakar wrote: OK Than I will only say one thing. Dual Spark Plug Ignitions. Why?

I hated changing 8 plugs in my ford ranger for that reason.....

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

More
02 Sep 2011 19:43 #473893 by loudhvx
Well, lets take a 2-dimensional analogy.

Lets say that if the spark gap is .030". Then (just making up numbers) let's say 1 msec after the spark, the flame front is 1 inch wide. Well then wouldn't it follow that if the spark gap is .060", that 1 msec later the flamefront would be near 2 inches wide?

Even if it's not a 1 to 1 ratio of spark gap to flame front size, it would only make sense that the flame front would have to be increased by some amount.

The flame front spreads in all directions and spreads by coming into contact with raw mixture.

Let's say every ignited molecule can ignite 3 other molecules. In 1 generation, starting with one molecule, there are 3 more ignited molecules. In 2 generations you would have 9 ignited molecules.

But if you start with two ignited molecules, then in 1 generation you have 6 more ignited molecules. Then in 2 generations you have 18 ignited molecules.

With each generation, the number of molecules burned is double. Idealized, this means the burn time would be cut in half. Obviously this is not exactly how it works since as more and more molecules are burned, the number of contacts get reduced.

At least that's my understanding of it. It's not like I did any real testing in a lab or anything.

More
03 Sep 2011 01:48 #473948 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

otakar wrote: OK Than I will only say one thing. Dual Spark Plug Ignitions. Why?

Because if one is good, then two has to be twice as good.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Sep 2011 11:33 #474000 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic plug gap with Dyna and Accel coils/wires?

bountyhunter wrote:

Because if one is good, then two has to be twice as good.

why dont they use larger gaps and coils instead of adding a spark plug ?

i think it has to do with chamber shape, and size. the larger the chamber (think larger displacement vs smaller) the farther the flame has to travel. 2 plugs placed father apart, cuts the distance the fame must travel in half.
it seems to me that i recall reading that higher compression ratio had something to do with requiring higher spark as well. something about too much compression blowing out the flame ?
there must be something to that since all the drag racers run more powerful coils.

if u look closely at a newish spark plug from a motor that has had detonation, u will see small silver specs on the insulator. I have seen this in my motor before installing a dyna2000,and coils.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)