Dyna 2000 Electronic Ignition & Coils DDK2-2C KZ65

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
05 Sep 2011 00:40 #474263 by MuzzleMike
I have changed my mine and would like to thank all of you . I will make the parts I need with the GM parts . It will be easier on the pocket and I might be able to get her on the road sooner .
Thanks everyone !!

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
05 Sep 2011 01:29 #474274 by MuzzleMike
otakar Thanks for the link . I did remove the magnets when had to get back to the timing marks to clean them off so I can see them . I am wondering if I might have reversed them . That is a fantastic page .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
05 Sep 2011 01:52 #474282 by MuzzleMike
I am wondering . This unit that Lou D made . I seen that he had it mounted on the right side under the cover . My stock IC unit was behind the fuse box under the left side cover . I can see that a lot of heat comes throw there from the motor and there is not room under the right side do to the light switches under there . Would it hurt to put it behind the battery box . Mine is missing I think the tray for the on board tools . There is some wires there so I am a little concerned about heat . Has any one made this ? Where did you put it ? I did pick up a set good set of feelers and there was a couple of shims that I could not read so I picked up a Micrometer also . I loss confidence in me getting his bike running do to my inexperience but I am back . It is not if I can it is I will get here running . She was running for around 300 miles and I can not see why I can not get her running again . She in not frozen up and I would not thing she would run art all before with piston damage so I think the lower end should be good . I just need to get the timing and valves right and this ignition fixed . If anyone can answer my questions please help and thanks .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• jus1975
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
More
05 Sep 2011 06:05 #474299 by jus1975
Never saw this before. I thought nothing was better than dyna. Got to try it

More
05 Sep 2011 06:14 - 05 Sep 2011 06:48 #474302 by Patton

otakar wrote: Here is the link for Lou's sight. You will have to cut and paste it.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

For this particular link, may add url tags in the outgoing message box

which allows direct click without cutting and pasting:

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2011 06:48 by Patton.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
05 Sep 2011 12:22 #474334 by MuzzleMike
Thanks Patton !!

I was sharing the Info with others and a thought came up . I am wondering if there is a repair like this for the regulator / rectifier ? If there is I will put the 2 mods together and that would fix 2 of the biggest electrical problems with these old bikes . I know mine will be going out some day and I for one see it with these older bikes if change the part with an E-bay used part yes it will fix it for know but it will not last long do to just the age . If anyone has or get any info on it please share it with me .

Thanks again .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

More
08 Sep 2011 22:29 - 08 Sep 2011 22:32 #475257 by loudhvx
Hi, just saw this thread.

Thanks Otto and Mfolks.

I should clarify, it is only for bikes that have mechanical advance on the ignition (as yours does, Muzzle Mike).

And thanks for fixing the link Patton, KZR doesn not seem to like the "~", and I don't know how to get around that as my host requires it.

Oh, and don't worry about the heat too much. It will be much cooler than what it was designed for. Originally it generated more heat while powering a V-8, and the module was located inside the distributor, which is HOT.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2011 22:32 by loudhvx.

More
09 Sep 2011 10:17 #475351 by daveo
I'm kinda new here, but thought I'd offer two cents too...

It started with the Mini coils, then the 2000 ignition after realizing the vast improvement the coils made over those old, weak ones. The 1100-A likes it, so I'm happy.

Pics of (relatively simple) installation. It's amazing how well Velcro works.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
09 Sep 2011 11:19 #475365 by loudhvx
Thanks Daveo. I'm sure the Dyna 2000 ignition is nice. It would be cool to be able to program an advance curve.

I like those Mini coils too. I am working on a way to use them with the HEI modules as well.

More
09 Sep 2011 12:19 #475382 by daveo
I read another discussion regarding spark plug gap setting at .40 with high-output coils, and wonder if mine set at .28 may contribute to the carbon fouling of my plugs.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
09 Sep 2011 12:35 #475387 by loudhvx
If .028 is stock, and I think it is, then it should not be fouling. The fouling may be carbs or ignition related, but not due to the gap.

In order to increase the gap, you have to be sure the coils can handle it, AND the ignition can handle it. I would look to see if there is any word from Dyna on whether the 2000 can handle extra primary voltage. That's a lot of change to risk going up in smoke.

Also, just a word of caution, with any ignition, never let the ignition operate with the spark plugs disconnected unless there is some way for the spark to jump. This means the make sure all four plugs are connected with bodies touching the engine somewhere.

Also, when checking spark gap in open air, never go more than 1/2 inch.

More
09 Sep 2011 16:14 #475441 by MFolks

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)