Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2011 20:11 #453888 by kz6fittycent
I am thinking of buying a used electronic ignition from an 81 KZ650 and wondered if it would fit my 78 KZ650 B.

It looks as though it will but since it is from an online seller, I cannot tell by the pictures. I can still buy a DYNA but I have heard that the stock Kawasaki ignitions are better (e.g. dwell time, etc).

If any of you have already done this modification, please just give the go ahead and I will pull the wallet out. I am TIRED of points!

I would like to buy a vowel...and parts for my rusting motorcycle.

1978 KZ650-B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 May 2011 21:21 #453894 by z1kzonly
Sorry to intrude on your post.
But, I have a payiong customer coming by Saturday. He has a Dyna ignition for a 1980 KZ1000.
He wants to use the factory ignition coils.
I know he should buy dyna 3.0 ohm coils.
But the factory had electronic ign.
I am assuming his stock coils should work with the dyna??
I'll find out tommorow.
Any opinions?

Marty

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
27 May 2011 23:48 #453920 by RonKZ650
It should work. I have a 1981 KZ550 with electronic ignition and it swapped over to a 1977 KZ650, but timing is not adjustable and was not correct for the 650 so I had to slot the plate. Probably the 81 650 would not have this problem, but if it did, no big deal. Of course you need to wire in the ignitor black box into the factory wiring, which was no problem if you have the wiring diagrams.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 May 2011 23:58 - 28 May 2011 00:05 #453922 by Patton

kz6fittycent wrote: ...am TIRED of points!

Dyna green 3 ohm coils are recommended for Dyna-S electronic ignition.

The existing points system probably has stock 3~4 ohm ignition coils, which coils should work okay with Dyna-S electronic ignition, but have too much resistance for Kawsaki IC igniter style electronic ignition (which I believe requires 2.2 ohm coils).

If replacing the existing points system with Kawsaki IC igniter style electronic ignition, would also consider replacing the existing ignition coils.

The Dyna-S ignition is relatively easy to install as a direct replacement for the points, and without having to add an IC igniter and associated wiring.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 May 2011 00:05 by Patton.

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 00:32 #453928 by kz6fittycent
Replied by kz6fittycent on topic Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?
From what I understand, you should be good to go. Dyna's ignition is designed to be a direct upgrade for our bikes.

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 00:37 #453930 by kz6fittycent
Replied by kz6fittycent on topic Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?

Patton wrote:

The existing points system probably has stock 3~4 ohm ignition coils, which coils should work okay with Dyna-S electronic ignition, but have too much resistance for Kawsaki IC igniter style electronic ignition (which I believe requires 2.2 ohm coils).

If replacing the existing points system with Kawsaki IC igniter style electronic ignition, would also consider replacing the existing ignition coils.

The Dyna-S ignition is relatively easy to install as a direct replacement for the points, and without having to add an IC igniter and associated wiring.

Thanks Patton. I think I will go ahead and purchase the igniter. As far as the coils are concerned, I was planning on replacing all of that later.

That brings up another question, do you think I would have immediate issues with the ignition system or am I going to be okay for a while? Higher resistance should not cause damage to the igniter, it may just change dwell time within the coil...right?

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 00:38 #453931 by kz6fittycent

z1kzonly wrote: Sorry to intrude on your post.
But, I have a payiong customer coming by Saturday. He has a Dyna ignition for a 1980 KZ1000.
I'll find out tommorow.
Any opinions?

Marty

From what I understand, you should be good to go. Dyna's ignition is designed to be a direct upgrade for our bikes.

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 00:45 #453933 by kz6fittycent

RonKZ650 wrote: It should work. I have a 1981 KZ550 with electronic ignition and it swapped over to a 1977 KZ650, but timing is not adjustable and was not correct for the 650 so I had to slot the plate. Probably the 81 650 would not have this problem, but if it did, no big deal. Of course you need to wire in the ignitor black box into the factory wiring, which was no problem if you have the wiring diagrams.

Thanks RonKZ650. I will go ahead and make that purchase. I am sure that I can get the appropriate wiring diagram online! Patton mentioned resistance differences between coils/year models. Did you have any issues?

Thanks again!

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 00:48 #453935 by kz6fittycent

Patton wrote:

You know, the thing that gets me is why Kawasaki or any of the Japanese manufacturers would have even considered points when older models (e.g. H1 and H2) already had CDI. I don't mind points so much, it's just another thing to adjust and I just want to ride my bike.

Can I get an "AMEN"?

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2011 00:59 #453940 by kz6fittycent
Hey guys, just found some valuable information in (ahem) another forum.

See: forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=2915.0

1978 KZ650-B

More
28 May 2011 01:13 #453942 by Patton

kz6fittycent wrote: ...will go ahead and purchase the igniter. As far as the coils are concerned, I was planning on replacing all of that later. That brings up another question, do you think I would have immediate issues with the ignition system or am I going to be okay for a while? Higher resistance should not cause damage to the igniter, it may just change dwell time within the coil...right?

Imo, while not optimal, the higher resistance coils won't harm any parts, but may result in slightly weaker spark.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 May 2011 02:21 #453948 by loudhvx

z1kzonly wrote: ... He has a Dyna ignition for a 1980 KZ1000.
Marty

The factory electronic ignition coils are rated lower than 3 ohms. Some are much lower.
Dyna specifies 3 ohms is the lowest you should go with the Dyna S or Dyna III ignitions.

The Dyna 2000 ignition is a different story. I think it can take low-resistance coils.

The Dyna S and Dyna III are direct replacement ignitions for points, not necessarily the factory electronic ignitions.