Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?

More
28 May 2011 02:23 - 28 May 2011 02:29 #453949 by loudhvx

kz6fittycent wrote: I am thinking of buying a used electronic ignition from an 81 KZ650 and wondered if it would fit my 78 KZ650 B.

It looks as though it will but since it is from an online seller, I cannot tell by the pictures. I can still buy a DYNA but I have heard that the stock Kawasaki ignitions are better (e.g. dwell time, etc).

If any of you have already done this modification, please just give the go ahead and I will pull the wallet out. I am TIRED of points!

Exactly what Ron said. I also fitted a 550 ignition onto a 650 (using the 650 timing advancer), no problem except a little slotting on the holes to get it into time.

Also, as Patton said, the factory electronic ignition should use the factory coils to go with it, or get new Dyna gray coils (2.2 ohm). The points coils will not be well suited to the factory electronic ignition. It should not harm the igniter, but may limit your maximum RPMs.
Last edit: 28 May 2011 02:29 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jun 2011 19:42 #455038 by kz6fittycent
Replied by kz6fittycent on topic Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?
I obtained the Dyna wiring diagram for installation. I am assuming the the wiring is the same as all the colors tend to correspond-ish.

When you connected your assembly, what did you use as a guide?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Attached is the guide I am referring to.

loudhvx wrote:

z1kzonly wrote: ... He has a Dyna ignition for a 1980 KZ1000.
He wants to use the factory ignition coils.
I know he should buy dyna 3.0 ohm coils.
But the factory had electronic ign.
I am assuming his stock coils should work with the dyna??
Marty

The factory electronic ignition coils are rated lower than 3 ohms. Some are much lower.
Dyna specifies 3 ohms is the lowest you should go with the Dyna S or Dyna III ignitions.

The Dyna 2000 ignition is a different story. I think it can take low-resistance coils.

The Dyna S and Dyna III are direct replacement ignitions for points, not necessarily the factory electronic ignitions.

I would like to buy a vowel...and parts for my rusting motorcycle.

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jun 2011 19:44 #455039 by kz6fittycent
Replied by kz6fittycent on topic Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?
Hmmm, it didn't seem to get attached. Here is the link. Sorry to make you bird-dog.
www.zpower.com.au/catalog/images/DS2-1_2-2.pdf

kz6fittycent wrote: I obtained the Dyna wiring diagram for installation. I am assuming the the wiring is the same as all the colors tend to correspond-ish.

When you connected your assembly, what did you use as a guide?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Attached is the guide I am referring to.

loudhvx wrote:

z1kzonly wrote: ... He has a Dyna ignition for a 1980 KZ1000.
Marty

The factory electronic ignition coils are rated lower than 3 ohms. Some are much lower.
Dyna specifies 3 ohms is the lowest you should go with the Dyna S or Dyna III ignitions.

The Dyna 2000 ignition is a different story. I think it can take low-resistance coils.

The Dyna S and Dyna III are direct replacement ignitions for points, not necessarily the factory electronic ignitions.

1978 KZ650-B

More
02 Jun 2011 19:59 #455042 by 650ed
I don't know how many miles you put on your bike per year, so maybe points are a bigger maintenance issue for you than for me. I change mine about every 10,000 miles when they start to pit. It takes me about 30 minutes, so I've never considered that to be much of an inconvenience. One thing I like about points is they have never failed. They may deteriorate gradually over thousands of miles, but unlike electronic ignition there's not much there that can break and leave you stranded. Having said all that, I still would not try to convert the electronic ignition on my 2006 Z71 (truck) to points. :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jun 2011 20:05 #455045 by kz6fittycent
LOL. I would hope not. I am only interested in making life a little easier and from my experience, points have the nature of losing consistency through wear (pitting) and dwell time is kind of a moving target with points.

1978 KZ650-B

More
02 Jun 2011 23:26 #455096 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?
points can also leave you stranded in water where electronic wont

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
03 Jun 2011 10:10 #455155 by 650ed

btchalice wrote: points can also leave you stranded in water where electronic wont

I use my truck for crossing rivers, not my bike :woohoo: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2011 18:36 #455219 by kz6fittycent
Okay, I have a question about the IC Igniter. I have been doing some research and found the wiring diagrams for the Dyna S ignition. It mentions no IC Igniter. I bought the factory ignition but the guy didn't send the IC Ignitor...bummer.

So my question is: Do I need the IC Igniter with the Kawasaki ignition? I can't see any difference with the Dyna S setup.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

1978 KZ650-B

More
03 Jun 2011 22:12 - 03 Jun 2011 22:15 #455250 by Patton

kz6fittycent wrote: ... Do I need the IC Igniter with the Kawasaki ignition?

Yes, IC Igniter is needed with the Kawasaki ignition.

IC Igniter is not used with the Dyna S setup.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Jun 2011 22:15 by Patton.

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2011 23:03 #455260 by kz6fittycent
Never mind, I found my own answers. Ordering the part now...it's just money, right?

1978 KZ650-B

• kz6fittycent
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2011 10:40 #458706 by kz6fittycent
I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. Got the ignition installed and it works perfectly.

1978 KZ650-B

More
22 Jun 2011 17:00 #458757 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Compatibility: 81 to 78 Electronic Ign Fitment?

z1kzonly wrote: Sorry to intrude on your post.
But, I have a payiong customer coming by Saturday. He has a Dyna ignition for a 1980 KZ1000.
I'll find out tommorow.
Any opinions?

Marty

I read the Kawi eletronic ignitions were set up to run very low impedance coils (like 2.2 Ohms). If the Dyna is designed to work with 3 Ohm coils, running 2 Ohm coils might not be safe. Might check with Dyna and see what the allowable coil range is.

1979 KZ-750 Twin