81 kz550 no start

More
07 Feb 2011 09:52 - 07 Feb 2011 09:54 #429164 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 81 kz550 no start
bigbeardan wrote:

, but i guess my first question is that if i'm getting a spark, even though it is a crappy one, then does that automatically rule out a bad igniter/pickup coils?

Not totally, but rules it out enough for now.

bigbeardan wrote:

should i concenttrate on wiring and coils if i still get weak spark with new plugs/wires? thanks

That would be my strategy. Even if the coils work, and they are 30 years old, they can go anytime and leave you stranded.

If you decide to get new coils, I would recommend the Dyna 2.2-ohm grey coils. They are the best fit, electrically, for your bike.

Also, those TK-22 carbs are notoriously hard to start the bike if the choke plate flaps are missing. You will want to check each carb for those. They should all look like little trap doors when you look into the intake with the choke on. I'll attach a photo with choke up and down.

Also, you need to make sure each flap is sealing, not just closed. Small leaks there can make is slightly hard to start, but missing flaps make it almost impossible.

Here's a link to making a modification to the fast-idle setting on the choke so you can adjust it without taking the tank off.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Carbure...PZchokeScrewMod.html

Here's a link for making your own igniter if that turns out to be a problem.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 09:54 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2011 10:54 - 07 Feb 2011 10:55 #429179 by bigbeardan
Replied by bigbeardan on topic 81 kz550 no start
Patton wrote:

Click > www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...spark%20plug%20wires

Would opt for solid core.

Good Fortune! :)

ordered me a set

went with these--- www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=209
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 10:55 by bigbeardan.

More
07 Feb 2011 11:06 #429182 by bigbeardan
loudhvx wrote:

If you decide to get new coils, I would recommend the Dyna 2.2-ohm grey coils. They are the best fit, electrically, for your bike.

i was thinkin bout 3 ohm incase i wanted to dyna-s down the road...would that work fine without dyna?

Here's a link to making a modification to the fast-idle setting on the choke so you can adjust it without taking the tank off.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Carbure...PZchokeScrewMod.html

Here's a link for making your own igniter if that turns out to be a problem.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

thanks for the carb info/mod and home built igniter....may come in handy

More
07 Feb 2011 11:07 - 07 Feb 2011 11:08 #429183 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 kz550 no start
bigbeardan wrote:

Patton wrote:

Click > www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...spark%20plug%20wires

Would opt for solid core.

ordered me a set

went with these--- www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=209

Excellent choice! :cheer:
Am well pleased running the same 7mm solid core plug wires in black on Z1 and KZ900.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 11:08 by Patton.

More
07 Feb 2011 11:20 #429188 by Patton
The Dyna 7mm solid core plug wires with built-in plug-connector caps have no resistance, which imo is a "good" thing from the perspective of engine performance.
But when used with the usual standard non-resistor spark plugs such a NGKB8ES will likely cause radio interference, if that's a concern.
Could opt for equivalent resistor style spark plugs such as NGKBR8S, which should dispel such radio interference.
Which would keep any near-by boom-box blasters much happier, bless their little hearts.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Feb 2011 13:08 #429209 by bigbeardan
Patton wrote:

The Dyna 7mm solid core plug wires with built-in plug-connector caps have no resistance, which imo is a "good" thing from the perspective of engine performance.
But when used with the usual standard non-resistor spark plugs such a NGKB8ES will likely cause radio interference, if that's a concern.
Could opt for equivalent resistor style spark plugs such as NGKBR8S, which should dispel such radio interference.
Which would keep any near-by boom-box blasters much happier, bless their little hearts.

the plugs i picked up at parts store are NGK-D8EA.....good/bad/ok choice??

More
07 Feb 2011 13:43 - 07 Feb 2011 13:45 #429220 by bigbeardan
so......my meter is auto ranging and i got one coil is 2.3/11.5k and the other is 2.4/ jumpin all over the place on the "m" code on my meter and one of the prongs looks charred :unsure: :ohmy: :(
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 13:45 by bigbeardan.

More
07 Feb 2011 13:49 - 07 Feb 2011 13:54 #429221 by Patton
bigbeardan wrote:

so......my meter is auto ranging and i got one coil is 2.3/11.5k and the other is 2.4/ jumpin all over the place on the "m" code on my meter and one of the prongs looks charred :unsure: :ohmy: :(

Is this directly from the coil (between the high tension output terminals), ignition OFF, and without plug wires installed? :unsure:

Thinking possible short in secondary winding. :pinch:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 13:54 by Patton.

More
07 Feb 2011 14:25 #429227 by bigbeardan
Patton wrote:

bigbeardan wrote:

Is this directly from the coil (between the high tension output terminals), ignition OFF, and without plug wires installed? :unsure:

Thinking possible short in secondary winding. :pinch:

More
07 Feb 2011 14:55 - 07 Feb 2011 14:58 #429235 by Patton
loudhvx wrote:

...Even if the coils work, and they are 30 years old, they can go anytime and leave you stranded.

If you decide to get new coils, I would recommend the Dyna 2.2-ohm grey coils. They are the best fit, electrically, for your bike....

Z1E lists the recommended coils.

Click > www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1306

Thanks for the video! :cheer:
Measuring method seems correct.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Feb 2011 14:58 by Patton.

More
07 Feb 2011 15:13 #429238 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 81 kz550 no start
I use 3-ohm Accel coils on two of my 550's with the stock pickups and HEI igniter. The stock igniter works the same as the HEI mod.

The 3-ohm coils seem to work okay, but are a lot slower to charge than the stock coils. Not a problem at idle and most other conditions, but if you go to a higher compression on the motor, or try to increase the plug gap, there could be some stumbles.

The 3-ohm Accels seem to be very similar to the 3-ohm Dyna's, so it should work okay. If the stock pickups are in good shape, though, I would stick with the stock (or stock with HEI igniters) ignition. It uses less power while providing great spark. The Dyna S can tax a charging system at lower RPMs and idle.

If the pickups are iffy, and you know for sure you are going to the Dyna S, then you will need 3-ohm coils.

More
07 Feb 2011 15:43 #429244 by bigbeardan
so we are agreed then that the one coil is trash? if i do go dyna s n future it will b a while. im just trying to keep my build as cheap as possible to have a good rideable bike, then upgrade as i go, but would really like to have something to ride, lol, and my goal for it is 1k end result...hardtail tank and all.

what bout these???
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT