81 kz550 no start

More
16 Feb 2011 19:56 - 16 Feb 2011 20:07 #431181 by bigbeardan
Replied by bigbeardan on topic 81 kz550 no start
got oem transistor ignition and put dyna 2.2 coils, dyna plug wires, and ngk d8ea plugs. had weak spark with old coils and cant get anything out of the dyna coils. 98% sure i did it all right.....only thing i wasnt sure about when it said to make sure there was clearance between screw head and mounting spacer?
Last edit: 16 Feb 2011 20:07 by bigbeardan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2011 20:13 - 16 Feb 2011 20:20 #431185 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 kz550 no start
The heads of the screws holding small wires to the ignition coil are very close to the spacers used for mounting the coils.

Be sure the screw heads don't touch and short out against the spacers.

In this photo, I simply used nylon tie wraps around the spacers for insulation.

But any insulation would be okay.

The metal spacers could be replaced with plastic (non-conductive) spacers.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enlarge the view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2011 20:20 by Patton.

More
17 Feb 2011 08:37 #431236 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 81 kz550 no start
I've seen many Dyna coil installs have the screw heads too close to the mounting posts which cause a short.

More
17 Feb 2011 08:54 #431241 by bigbeardan
i dont think my screw heads are touching. i even unmounted it and ran a jumper wire to ground where the screw goes and held it in my hand and didnt get anything. the coil is supposed to ground to the frame by the screws, right? thats what i was thinking and thought maybe it wasnt getting a good ground, but didnt get anything out of the out of it. i know im supposed to get voltage on the primary wires with key on. so i got a black and red/yellow to one coil and a green and red/yellow to other. should 12v be on all 4 or just the green and black, or just the 2 red/yellow??

More
17 Feb 2011 09:31 #431246 by loudhvx
bigbeardan wrote:

i dont think my screw heads are touching. i even unmounted it and ran a jumper wire to ground where the screw goes and held it in my hand and didnt get anything. the coil is supposed to ground to the frame by the screws, right? thats what i was thinking and thought maybe it wasnt getting a good ground, but didnt get anything out of the out of it. i know im supposed to get voltage on the primary wires with key on. so i got a black and red/yellow to one coil and a green and red/yellow to other. should 12v be on all 4 or just the green and black, or just the 2 red/yellow??

Until the engine is turning, there will be 12v on all four wires. As the engine turns, the igniter will ground either the black wire or the green wire in sequence.

None of the wiring lugs should be wired to ground. These are the screw heads we are concerned with shorting to the frame. They should not ever touch the frame or mounting posts.

The iron core of the coil does not need to be grounded to the frame to work. The coils will work floating in mid air as long as the metal bodies of the spark plugs can touch each other as they are what close the high-tension circuit. (Of course they also work if the spark plug bodies are both touching the same piece of metal... ie the engine.)

When you are checking for spark, the spark plug bodies should both touch the engine or each other.

More
17 Feb 2011 10:02 #431257 by bigbeardan
ok, so......i have battery voltage on both yellow/red wires, but my green wire and black wire only have bout 3.5v on them. so i would guess that might be a small prob then? what would i be looking at for that voltage drop if it should be 12?

More
17 Feb 2011 23:28 #431435 by loudhvx
bigbeardan wrote:

ok, so......i have battery voltage on both yellow/red wires, but my green wire and black wire only have bout 3.5v on them. so i would guess that might be a small prob then? what would i be looking at for that voltage drop if it should be 12?

This is with the motor NOT turning?

Then the stock igniter is fried, or the black and green wires are somehow shorted, or the coils are shorted internally.

Unplug the big plug at the igniter. If the wiring and coils are good (before the igniter), you will then have battery voltage on all four wires at the coils.

More
18 Feb 2011 00:12 #431439 by bigbeardan
loudhvx wrote:

This is with the motor NOT turning?

Then the stock igniter is fried, or the black and green wires are somehow shorted, or the coils are shorted internally.

Unplug the big plug at the igniter. If the wiring and coils are good (before the igniter), you will then have battery voltage on all four wires at the coils.

yeah i was describing key on...motor not turning. when you say coils u mean pickup or ignition cuz i really hope both brand new ignition coils arent shorted. so i should unplug the connector to the igniter and turn key on and all my wires should then have 12v? and that would mean bad igniter?

More
18 Feb 2011 10:08 #431544 by loudhvx
bigbeardan wrote:

yeah i was describing key on...motor not turning. when you say coils u mean pickup or ignition cuz i really hope both brand new ignition coils arent shorted. so i should unplug the connector to the igniter and turn key on and all my wires should then have 12v? and that would mean bad igniter?

I meant the new ignition coils. I'm only listing the possible causes of what it would take to get the condition you describe, but I strongly doubt both coils are internally shorted to ground. That's rare even on 30-year old coils. But it's not impossible, so I mentioned it.

It's also strange the igniter would suddenly short out on both ignition channels simultaneously.

If you have no battery voltage on the green and black wires at the coils, then only unplug the igniter, then have battery voltage on the green and black wires, the igniter is likely shorted. There is also a chance the green and black wires are somehow shorted just before they go into the igniter box.

More
13 Jan 2012 12:55 #497924 by Solid Snake
Replied by Solid Snake on topic 81 kz550 no start
Just curious to know if this was ever solved? I'm planning on getting the grey Dyna coils for my 82 KZ550 LTD and some new plug wires just to replace the old stuff as sort of preventative maintenance.