Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 for KZ750

More
25 Nov 2010 06:18 #414168 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 for KZ750
nads.com wrote:

guess i tried to find out if dyna coils have more voltage but noone knew or wanted to tell!:laugh: You have to have jewels! Spark energy where it matters. LOUDX! Help these poor guessing souls!

Wondering if the question here is about which coil provides the higher secondary loop intensity, all else being equal.

Supposing it could be measured, or touted specs compared, but remembering that one match will often do just fine to light a candle.

Increasingly fatter plug spark eventually reaches a point of diminishing returns, imo.

How many matches are needed to best ignite the compressed combustion chamber mixture?

Count me among those willing to rely on the Kawasaki engineers as to desired spark quality at business end of plugs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2010 11:09 #414292 by TJMD
Dave-I have been running a stock ignition on a 1980KZ750E for the last 4 years w/o much problem.The bike is ridden hard and fast at times-when the mood strikes me.I tried a DYNA ignition(used),and it wouldn't run,but I discovered one of the two pick-ups was bad(bought it on ebay and had the money refunded).My prob is I have been going through about one set of pick-up coils/pulsars per riding season(I live in Ohio so..I still ride @40 degree F or higher in the winter).I HAVE added the DYNA 2.2 ohm(I believe)-they are GREEN),maybe 3 years ago(from Z-1 enterprises),and the nice people @ DYNA IGNITION threw in a set of their RED wires,when one year I sent them back for checking,and ended up having to clean and de-green the inside of one of the wire ends on one of them.Also,one year I broke one of the weight springs on my mechanical advancer(tried passing a caddy,and it didn't work):P bike would not return to idle,started out at about 2500RPM from stop-bought one on ebay,and just replaced the spring.Everything works fine now.As all of the other fellows have added-I agree.Would just replace thecoils and use DYNA wires.I've heard the same thing about the DYNA Ignition sucking up all the power,and even killing batteries-from a friend of mine that is a metric bike mechanic for 30+ years.GOOD RIDING TO YA!B)

More
26 Nov 2010 15:53 - 26 Nov 2010 16:18 #414316 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 for KZ750
nads.com wrote:

guess i tried to find out if dyna coils have more voltage but noone knew or wanted to tell!:laugh: You have to have jewels! Spark energy where it matters. LOUDX! Help these poor guessing souls!

Everybody is pretty much right on.

Factory ignition is fine for mostly stock motor in good condition. The Dyna S will use more power (most of which just turns to heat), but is still a good system.

The main issue is that the Dyna S should use 3-ohm coils and the factory electronic uses 2.3 ohms coils. Switching to Dyna S means getting the 3-ohm, green Dyna coils, or 3-ohm Accel coils. Sticking with factory ignition means you want the 2.2-ohm Dyna coils which are gray (as Onkel B mentioned).

Oh, and as far as voltage, in my bench tests, which were not very intensive, most coils achieved about the same maximum gap jump (around 3/4 inch). Age of the coils made more of a difference than the actual manufacturer. I've tested new and old Accels, factory points coils, factory electronic coils, and some used Dyna's.

The problem with voltage testing is that you actually start damaging the coils when you go too far, so then after that you don't know if you are testing a fully good coil, or a slightly marginalized one. It gets expensive so it's hard to do a lot of testing. If I can get 3/4 inch in open air, I stop now... lesson learned. :)

New car coils from Chrysler and GM (don't think I tried a Ford) seemed to create longer spark, but those coils were too big to fit on my bike, and the ignition has to be modified to give the proper dwell for those coils.

For stock motors, with stock plug gaps, the secondary voltage of the coil is not an issue. It will be much lower than what the coil can produce at it's maximum. The actual gap and compression will determine what the final volatge will be before arc over.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2010 16:18 by loudhvx.

More
03 Mar 2016 17:52 #713689 by Dan-kz
Replied by Dan-kz on topic Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 for KZ750

Attachment IMG_20160225_183537.jpg not found

Getting close now hehe
Attachments:

More
16 Mar 2016 19:09 #715773 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 for KZ750
Nice looking bike!

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD