• Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
14 Sep 2010 09:21 #398629 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic spark plug coils
thanks tek

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
14 Sep 2010 09:33 #398631 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic spark plug coils
kz1k wrote:

thanks tek

I think I can speak for most in saying that we love bikes, and being able to help out others.

Your most valuable purchase will deffinately be the service manual. It will save you $$$ and huge headaches/time.

Go through and clean up all the wiring/component electrical connections. Make sure they're shiney and tight like new, especially grounds.

Best of luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
14 Sep 2010 09:55 #398639 by kz1k
i have a bike salvage in my area. i have to call back in a hour so he can look. fingers crossed....fair price and working.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
14 Sep 2010 10:17 #398643 by kz1k
i would buy a new 1, but i need to know if this motor even runs. so my main objective is to get it ready to start up without spending a butt load. once she fires up...then ill dig a lil deeper in my pocket.

1978 KZ1000A2

More
14 Sep 2010 10:51 #398649 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic spark plug coils
kz1k wrote:

i would buy a new 1, but i need to know if this motor even runs. so my main objective is to get it ready to start up without spending a butt load. once she fires up...then ill dig a lil deeper in my pocket.

Looking at the condition of the engine, for example - no carbs, I would think a manual would save you money and frustration in trying to get it running. I don't know of anyone who has regretted buying a Kawasaki factory service manual. Good luck. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Sep 2010 10:54 #398652 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic spark plug coils
Looks like the bike was dropped on the right side and slid for a distance.

This will help in wiring the ignition coils:

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.

Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s 650‘s and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Sep 2010 11:05 - 14 Sep 2010 11:07 #398654 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic spark plug coils
kz1k wrote:

ok well the bike that was given to me came with only i coil i guess you would call it...the thing that has 2 wires and 2 spark plug boots. i have a 81 yamaha maxim coil. can i use that just get it started until i buy 1? sorry if my terminology is wrong....first bike build.

If the Yamaha coil has two spark plug wires, it might suffice temporarily, provided resistance measures 3~4 ohms between primary terminals on the coil.

This should match close enough to the green 3 ohm Dyna coil.

This resistance measurement will require an ohmmeter capable of measuring 3~4 ohms.

The coil's primary terminals are where the two small wires attach to the coil.

Measure ohms between the primary terminals.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Sep 2010 11:07 by Patton.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
14 Sep 2010 11:05 #398655 by kz1k
no luck on the salvage yard. he had a red one that is 1.5 ohm he said. oh well, back to the search.

1978 KZ1000A2

More
14 Sep 2010 11:12 #398657 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic spark plug coils
If needed, perhaps resistance of the Yamaha coil could be measured for you at the salvage yard.

(Ask about carbs at the same time.)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
14 Sep 2010 11:28 #398658 by kz1k
Patton wrote:

If needed, perhaps resistance of the Yamaha coil could be measured for you at the salvage yard.

yeah lemme do some reseach. if i can use it just to turn the motor and get it to run ill be happy temperarilly.

1978 KZ1000A2

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
14 Sep 2010 11:51 #398661 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic spark plug coils
kz1k wrote:

Patton wrote:

yeah lemme do some reseach. if i can use it just to turn the motor and get it to run ill be happy temperarilly.

So... I take it that the bike does have carbs then, an you just have them off for a cleaning???

:huh:

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
14 Sep 2010 12:08 #398663 by kz1k
oh yeah i got carbs. they are locked up. theres a thread i started on them in the carb section.TeK9iNe wrote:

kz1k wrote:

Patton wrote:

So... I take it that the bike does have carbs then, an you just have them off for a cleaning???

:huh:

1978 KZ1000A2