Ignition switch key

More
07 Jun 2010 09:47 #374083 by wannaby
Ignition switch key was created by wannaby
Hello so how many klicks should the key have on my 82 KZ 1000 the ignition has only off/on then push down for one more click to fork lock...thats it ...is there no accessory click.I got a key made and wondering if mayby it wasnt made right and is not going over one more notch....but the plastic ignition dash only says off on too so mayby thats all it has I can get my signal lights on the guages to light up but not the nuetral or oil light......tips appreciated.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2010 12:34 #374123 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Ignition switch key
After u put the key in,one click right is "park",low tail lite and license lite come on.2nd position everything else comes on.At least this is how my 82 CSR works.bj

More
07 Jun 2010 14:35 - 07 Jun 2010 14:36 #374162 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition switch key
I think on mine, fully counter clockwise is OFF, rotate clockwise one click to get ON (all ON), but one more click clockwise from center is PARK where the tail lights comes on.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Jun 2010 14:36 by bountyhunter.

More
07 Jun 2010 16:16 #374204 by wannaby
Replied by wannaby on topic Ignition switch key
when you say park does your fork lock pin come out.

More
07 Jun 2010 20:37 #374290 by bountyhunter
wannaby wrote:

when you say park does your fork lock pin come out.

No, my fork lock is more crude.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Jun 2010 20:51 #374295 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition switch key
Some fork lock designs have a position where the key may be pushed downward, which pushes the lock pin downward, and while pushed down, the key is turned to another position where it may be removed, leaving the forks locked.

Wouldn't rely very much on a fork lock for bike security, as most oem fork locks (aka steering locks) are easily defeated by simply forceably turning the handlebars.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2010 21:15 #374303 by wannaby
Ha Ha...funny guy ...so anyways was just farting around in the dark again so key off I still have power to what says main30 on fusebox then click one more and power to flasher then push key in for fork lock pin comes out and also tonight tailight came on so definatly park.Still no power to tail meter 10 amp horn ignition 10 amp and headlight 10 amp the last three fuses ...poped the fuse box off and its nice and clean underneath where the wires connect.
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2010 00:15 #374325 by bountyhunter
Patton wrote:

Wouldn't rely very much on a fork lock for bike security, as most oem fork locks (aka steering locks) are easily defeated by simply forceably turning the handlebars.
:)

Or lifting up the front wheel and setting it on a skateboard....:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Jun 2010 05:24 #374339 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Ignition switch key
My 81 KZ650 has Lock-OFF-ON-Park.
You have to push down & turn to get to Lock & Park.

More
08 Jun 2010 12:24 #374414 by wannaby
Hi again ....so would it be too much to ask if anybody would mind checking if when you turn the key on you have power to 3rd,4th,5th fuse from the clutch side.Or which fuses have power in off position and on position.Are there any switches or connections that I should be checking.bout ready to give up on this thing...even changed all fuses even though they were good....

More
09 Jun 2010 13:27 #374661 by wannaby
mmmmm...guess I am giving myself help ...so anyways if anybody is interested today I unhooked the ignition switch plug and jumpered a couple wires and got power to my guages which tells me its inside the ignition switch so gonna tear into it at work tonight ....but hate those plastic sealed units hope I dont bust anything...oh ya gonna check all the wires from back of ignition to plug end too....getting there slowly.....ill let you know...Den

More
09 Jun 2010 14:53 - 09 Jun 2010 14:55 #374676 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition switch key
Many wiring diagrams are available for downloading in Filebase under KZ Information (see green ribbon toward top of screen.

Select year, then model to see if there's a downloadable wiring diagram. If unavailable, a closely related model's diagram may be helpful.

For 1982 KZ1000 R1 and M2, click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...w&gid=102&Itemid=108

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Jun 2010 14:55 by Patton.