KZ750B4 rectifier?

More
06 Jun 2010 23:09 #374038 by basketcase
KZ750B4 rectifier? was created by basketcase
Sorry guys if I seem a newb but I have questions never before asked by man. I am trying to at least get the basics correct before going farther down the line here.

The rectifier/regulater on this thing seemed to work right for the few seconds the bike did run but again I am coming up with part numbers that dont jive with stock, plus it ran with a charger attached so I couldn't check voltages. Possibly another honda part but here is what it says on the existing rectifier: 12V SH221-12 86

It has 4 wires, 3 yellow and 1 black

2 yellow go to the stator/generator
1 black goes to batt ground or negative
other yellow goes to a white with red stripe that continues to batt+, fuse box and harness. None of the yellow have any markings so I am guessing this was previously trial and error as there is no connection bulkhead.

I have the wiring schematic and this is whats confusing, is it good? WTF is this SH1221-12 and should I just score on the correct part? I can't cross this part to anything yet but if it's okay I'll use it to get things running okay and go from there.

Awaiting a winning bid on a starter clutch so no hurry but want to do as much good as possible. I never expected a 200.00 bike to be easy and I love the challange. Now if I can get that krylon shine that another member has I would be a bit happier :-)

Jeff

1979 KZ750B4
Basketcase

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2010 23:24 - 06 Jun 2010 23:28 #374040 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ750B4 rectifier?
The numbers on the actual part are not necessarily the Kawasaki part number. Usually it's the manufacturer's (Hitachi, Mitsubishi, etc.) part number, though sometimes it's actually close to Kawasaki's part number.

If you can post a photo, someone may be able to identify if it's the stock part or not, but the colors don't sound right. One of the wires should be white, or white with a red stripe, or red with white stripe, or some such combination.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2010 23:28 by loudhvx.

More
07 Jun 2010 11:08 #374097 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750B4 rectifier?
basketcase wrote:

2 yellow go to the stator/generator
1 black goes to batt ground or negative
other yellow goes to a white with red stripe that continues to batt+, fuse box and harness. None of the yellow have any markings so I am guessing this was previously trial and error as there is no connection bulkhead.

The yellow wires are from the AC output of the stator so they have no polarity. You can install them either way.

The black wire is almost always ground, and the red or red/white wire is usually a sense lead that goes to +12V somewhere so the regulator can adjust the system voltage to the correct value.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Jun 2010 23:13 #376262 by basketcase
Replied by basketcase on topic KZ750B4 rectifier?
Alright, checked and it seems to coincide with what your saying. I now have a new rectifier that has an additional brown wire, I read about that and cant find it or remember so I think I'll tape it if I don't find the info.

Got a new starter/stator flywheel for 25 delivered :-) New rectifier with starter switch with a bracket that hasn't been mangled for 30.00 the game is playing out good. PS just realized there was no side cover gasket just glue, gasket on order for next week, another delay.

Q: new rectifier has a plug in end with the 2 yellow for stator and another that's black. Am I supposed to have a ground down that stator harness or just loop it to ground no biggie. Wish I could convert this thing back to normal, wires everywhere all jacked up. Cut jumpered, spliced yuk!

The harness from stator area has 2 wires and what looks like it might be a dark gray, let me check. Im not sure, maybe dark gray going into a splice thats taped into a bunch of other things... this sucks. The diagram doesn't even come close to helping.

Maybe I should get an entire new harness to work with?

My camera is lame, plus I am no expert posting pics but I'll try to get something up soon.

Any advice with anything is good at this time, I am kinda overwhelmed with so many things at once.

1979 KZ750B4
Basketcase

More
16 Jun 2010 23:23 - 16 Jun 2010 23:25 #376266 by bountyhunter
I have the B4 manual, here's what the schematic shows:

the alternator has two AC wires out, both yellow.

The 3 pin connectors from the reg has two yellows which mate with the two yellows, and a black which mates with a yel-blk ground wre which goes DIRECTLY to the negative terminal of the battery.

The fourth wire from the regulator is red-white and that goes to a 2-pin connector which sends one line to the 20A fuse and the other line to the positive battery line near the starter relay terminal.

I don't see any brown wire.

Exactly how many wires are coming from your rectifier assembly and what colors?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Jun 2010 23:25 by bountyhunter.

More
17 Jun 2010 02:53 - 17 Jun 2010 02:56 #376276 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ750B4 rectifier?
If you leave the brown wire on the reg/rec unconnected, you will have no regulation. You'll probably burn out every light bulb and the ignition system.

The brown wire should go to a switched 12v source to sense the battery voltage. Without it, the regulator thinks the battery voltage is too low and will not do anything to control the voltage.

Even though your bike may not have originally had the brown wire on the regulator/rectifier, if your new/used reg/rec has it, you need to hook it up.

This is assuming it is a reg/rec from, or designed for, a KZ.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 02:56 by loudhvx.

More
17 Jun 2010 08:15 #376321 by basketcase
Thanks! The regulator was from the same as mine 79 KZ750 it just has the extra brown wire. I'll check I'm sure there's a switched 12+ taped up in that bunch of wires somewhere.

1979 KZ750B4
Basketcase

More
17 Jun 2010 16:39 #376419 by basketcase
things are falling together here now. I have a Q again:

from the harness above / not counting anything to fuse box or stator or neutral/oil wire I have 2 extra wires that were taped off. It looks like a sub harness from main to below.

Sub harness contains oil wire
neutral safety wire
black/yello stripe looped into itself
Open blue wire no stripe
Open green w/white stripe taped off

What are these?

With everything open I don't want to connect the battery yet, as my name says basketcase this thing was. As long as I am in here I will lengthen the known wires with corresponding colors and hook things up correctly and for longevity. The schematic is NOT helping me here.

All in a day.. the cosmetics were basking in the sun to blow off the petro chems in the prior failed paint job and new primer. Glad I did this as I can now see sand marks that were not there yesterday. You guys will be proud... eventually ;-]

1979 KZ750B4
Basketcase

More
17 Jun 2010 18:02 #376444 by bountyhunter
We never set freshly paintd things outside because they would always get loaded up with pollen, dirt, and tree fuzzies.:P

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Jun 2010 18:07 #376446 by bountyhunter
from schem:

green white stripe: brake light failure indicator

black-yellow: ground

blue wire: 12V power feed goes many places

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Jun 2010 19:05 #376481 by basketcase
Alright I'll see what i get from this, to late to track but I will hit it in the morning.

I think we are getting progressive finally.

Many many thanks to you all, hopefully i will have stupid Q's from now on

1979 KZ750B4
Basketcase

More
19 Jun 2010 12:32 #376819 by basketcase
Bingo!

You guys rock. In studying the poor scan I have for wiring everything is now leading to a missing "Brake Light Function Switch" I assume it should be somewhere in the region of the rectifier. Does anyone know a part number or something so I can research this further?

Also need info for turn signals, missing both front and the rears were fell on more than once. What sites to go for salvage parts?

One of these days I am going to be able to drive this contraption. :woohoo:

Jeff

1979 KZ750B4
Basketcase