bad coils???

More
12 Apr 2010 19:31 #360225 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic bad coils???
No, coil cases do not have to be grounded. The ground for the secondary winding is the block, on the negative side of the spark plug. The voltage jumps this gap to ground. But also it won't hurt to ground them, as the windings are insulated from the case anyway. That's why the primary terminals are encased in a plastic (or whatever) cap.

The inside wiring of a coil looks very roughly like this....

It is insulated from the case and fill with oil as a cooolant.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2010 19:31 #360226 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic bad coils???
The core of the coils do not have to be grounded electrically. There is slight chance they will behave differently when they are bolted to the frame through the core as opposed to being attached by external clamps. But that would only be due to magnetic reasons (altering the inductance slightly and altering the point of magnetic saturation in the core) and probably don't matter at all, really.

More
12 Apr 2010 19:47 #360235 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic bad coils???
Out of the OEM Manual....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2010 19:53 #360239 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bad coils???
Sparkplug caps can also breakdown creating a very weak spark. www.z1enterprises.com sells new ones.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
13 Apr 2010 14:37 #360418 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic bad coils???
Ok, thanks for all the useful input. The plugs are wet with fuel not oil. I went back and verified the fuel level with a clear tube. Timing is right on. New NGK B7ES plugs. I ordered new Dyna coils and wires should be hear Wednesday. That should answer any coils problems I'm having. I didn't think you needed to ground the coils but thought I would ask just the same. I will just keep plugging along until I figure it out with all of your helpful suggestions of course.

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

More
13 Apr 2010 15:03 #360429 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bad coils???
What is the input voltage to the coils? It should be battery voltage with a fully charged battery in good shape.

Measure at the RED wire connection on the coils with the RED probe of the multimeter and the BLACK probe on the frame at a good grounding point or at the Negative(-) battery terminal.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Apr 2010 15:10 #360432 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic bad coils???
I know it's not very scientific, but if I want to check for a good spark in the cylinder, I pull off a plug wire while the bike is idling. If it stumbles, then it was getting spark. If you pull a plug wire and the idle doesn't change, then that cylinder was probably just along for the ride.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
14 Apr 2010 19:10 #360722 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic bad coils???
Funny thing about pulling the plug boots off @ idle it doesn't seem to change things much doesn't matter which plug I pull. so once again I'm in the dark. P.S. did the WG coil mod so coils have full battery voltage.

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

More
15 Apr 2010 05:20 #360784 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bad coils???
spudbudy wrote:

Funny thing about pulling the plug boots off @ idle it doesn't seem to change things much doesn't matter which plug I pull. so once again I'm in the dark. P.S. did the WG coil mod so coils have full battery voltage.

Reported problems could result from too low voltage reaching coils for whatever reason, regardless of coil mod.

Should use a voltmeter to measure the actual voltage at each coil primary terminal.
Do this measurement 3 ways: with engine off, again at idle, and again at 3000 rpm.
Measure voltage across battery terminals the same 3 ways.
Compare battery voltage with coil voltage in each scenerio.

Coil mod doesn't assure sufficient voltage is reaching the coil.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD