bad coils???

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
10 Apr 2010 20:48 #359842 by spudbudy
bad coils??? was created by spudbudy
OK Gang, I've been chasing ghost's in the machine so to speak. After riding 60 miles and check the plugs they are wet somewhat. So I checked the coils tested them with the wires unhooked. The reading between the wire terminals is 0 ohms.
The reading between the spark towers is 12,000 ohms. I have a spare Green Dyna coils that tests out at .2 ohms on the wire terminals and the spark towers is 15,000 ohms. So I'm left to wonder are my coils bad/weak or is it something else I'm overlooking. I know that the Dyna coils are supposed to be @ 3 ohms so I'm wondering if in fact it is also bad. Any ideas??

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2010 21:03 #359846 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic bad coils???
If they were truly 0 ohms, they would be a dead short. You would get no spark out of them. Are you sure the meter is working properly?

More
10 Apr 2010 21:16 #359848 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bad coils???
Try this: with the tank removed at home, use a hair dryer and heat up the coils. The reading should be between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms on the primary(small wires) side.

On the secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side the readings will be between 10.4K to 15.6 k ohms.

Your coils may be failing from heat and/or insulation breakdown.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
10 Apr 2010 22:38 #359860 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic bad coils???
Actually O ohms does not necessarily mean a problem. A zero ohm reading always represents full continuity (no resistance), which is what you'd normally get between the two primary winding terminals. You will actually see anywhere from 1 to 3 ohms because the length and thickness of the windings themselves give some resistance. 1.8 to 3 ohms seems normal to me. If you nominally get the reading between the primary and secondary windings that MFolks mentioned, then the coils may be fine. But heat will sometimes cause worn primary windings (that are fine when cold) to short against each other, lowering the strength of the field they can build up. Heat also enhances resistance. Hence the hair dryer test.

More
11 Apr 2010 00:09 #359871 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic bad coils???
The "zero Ohms" reading probably means his meter doesn't have a low enough range to get accurate readings in the 3 Ohm ballpark. Most meters do not.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Apr 2010 09:49 #359942 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic bad coils???
Right, a false zero reading may not be a problem, but a "Truly 0" reading means he needs a new coil. :)

More
11 Apr 2010 11:56 #359960 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic bad coils???
Yes, it's a matter of meter sensitivity. Even touching the meter probes together causes some resistance (there is minute resistance in the probe wires), but most meters are no where near sensitive enough to read this and you get a zero reading. Some digital meters will read this, and you adjust them back to zero.

If the windings are shorted together just beyond the terminals, you could get a zero reading, but it's also possible his meter is just off a tad. If bountyhunter's heat up test raises the resistance, then the coils are shot anyway.

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2010 12:21 #359965 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic bad coils???
Thanks for some suggestions. I have tried 3 different meters. 2 analog and 1 digital, all rat shack. The analog range is set to Rx10 I can't see why it wouldn't read 3 ohms. The spark appears to be very weak thus the reason for my test. I will check them with a digital Fluke meter @ work on Monday just to be sure. And I did check them both hot and cold same results give or take on the secondary readings.

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
11 Apr 2010 14:21 #359977 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic bad coils???
If thier more than a few years old, just get new ones.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
11 Apr 2010 19:15 #360009 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bad coils???
spudbudy wrote:

...The spark appears to be very weak....

What voltage is reaching the coil primary terminal? :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Apr 2010 18:27 #360202 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic bad coils???
OK here is the results of testing the two different coils with Fluke Meter. Both coils test out fine ! The old Andrews coils ohm out @ 3.2 and 11,500 and the Dyna ohm out @ 3.2 and 15,500. So my guess of bad/faulty coils was unfounded. I guess I will have to look elsewhere for my weak spark problem. On a side note does anyone know if makes any difference if the coil mounting bracket is grounded or not? I looked @ the wiring chart and didn't see any ground for the coils.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Apr 2010 18:39 #360207 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic bad coils???
Well this has been all about coils, you never said what the plugs are "Wet" with? Fuel or oil. You can still have a electrical or spark issue, but is it possible you have another problem as in carbs or valve stem oil seals? As far as the spark goes they have a cheap spark checker at Harbor Freight that will go inline with your plug wire with the bike running, you can adjust the gap for the KV rating of your coil. Of course spark should remain constant and of good quality at all RPM.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...