Starter relay question

More
31 Jan 2010 17:01 #345694 by S.P.75
Starter relay question was created by S.P.75
Hey all,
I've been lurking on the site for a while after picking up an 82' kz 550. It's not my first bike, but it's my first bike in this kind of condition.
After spending countless hours on the wiring, I have it about right. But I think the Starter relay is shot. If I pull the relay off and touch the starter cable to the cable that runs to the +battery terminal the bike will turn over.
So for a replacement could I use something like this: www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=MPEST404SB_0145398087 ?
The wiring harness was a complete mess when I got the bike. My plan is to pull all wiring not necessary and strip is down to just a headlight and brake light. And make it into a bobber.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2010 17:38 #345711 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Starter relay question
Is the starter button good ?

More
31 Jan 2010 19:25 #345749 by S.P.75
Replied by S.P.75 on topic Starter relay question
[file] [file] You know, I'm not sure. being it's 27 years old there's a good chance it may not be. Is there a way to test it?

Attachments:

More
31 Jan 2010 19:29 #345750 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter relay question
Open up the right handlebar switch pod/assmbly and look for corrosion or dead bugs in the start button. Some good electrical contact cleaner will remove the corrosion(unless you have a broken wire, then it's soldering time).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Feb 2010 05:22 #345793 by S.P.75
Will definately take a look tonight and see what we get.

The picture in my previous post is what I'm dealing with. The wiring is a mess!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Feb 2010 05:56 - 01 Feb 2010 11:38 #345801 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Starter relay question
Trace the starter button wires down to the solenoid and unplug it, put a test light on it and hit the button the test light should light up if the button works.

I put a lawnmower solonoid on one of my bikes and that was a year ago with no problems.

I also have a bike with a busted button so I have to kick start it until I can get a new switch pod

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 11:38 by Kawickrice.

More
01 Feb 2010 11:00 #345843 by MFolks
I think www.redlinecycle.com , www.sudco.com and possibly www.z1enterprises.com sell replacement switch pods for the handlebars.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
01 Feb 2010 11:11 #345844 by MFolks
Motorcycle Electrical Maintenance

1.List of needed tools:

A.Set of pipe cleaners (found in tobacco shops).

B.Small package of cotton swabs.

C.Small brass bristle brush (found at hardware stores).

D.Set of welders tip cleaners(found at welding supply stores)or a set of jewelers files.

E.Selection of 400-600 grit sandpaper.

F.One can of electrical contact cleaner/preservative (The De-oxit brand at www.de-oxit.com is a good one).

G.Tube of dielectric grease as a water shield for connectors.(Optional, as some people see more problems with the grease acting more like an insulator).

H.An accurate multi-meter either digital or analog for voltage, current, and continuity checks (the digital meters may pick up “noise” from certain alternators and have fluctuating readings).

I.Self powered continuity light for basic continuity checks.

J.Battery charger rated for not more than 1 to 2 amp to charge the motorcycle battery( the battery tender brand is a good one at 1.25)

K.The motorcycle factory shop manual (FSM) with the wiring diagram.

L.Set of screwdrivers and wrenches for the various fasteners.

2.Corrosion on any electrical connection causes resistance and lowers the current flow. The green crud is a form of corrosion on brass/copper terminals.

3.All electrical connections must be clean and tight or intermittent operations will result,sometimes stranding the rider and can damage/destroy electrical components such as Alternator Stators,Batteries,Ignitors,Light bulbs,Switches and/or related wiring.

4.Battery cables can fail internally due to corrosion and appear serviceable.

5.The male bullet connector can be scrubbed with the brass brush while the female connector with the jewelers files or tip cleaner.Both should be spritzed/wiped with a pipe cleaner or rag moistened with contact cleaner.

6.Square and rectangular connectors must be disconnected from each other to be able to clean the contact surfaces. Again the use of files and or brass brush with a application of contact cleaner makes it operate as it should.Re-connect the male and female parts and do another.

7.The battery cables condition are an area few people think about but are very important. The positive(+) RED terminal and the negative(-) BLACK terminal must be clean and tight to both the battery and to their respective connections on the motorcycle. On most Kawasaki Motorcycles the negative battery cable goes either to the frame or engine while the positive battery cable connects to the electric starter solenoid.The other terminal on the solenoid connects to the starter motor.

8.If the battery cables must be replaced, use the appropriate gauge of wire for the current draw. Use flexible cable as solid wire will not bend into tight areas. Both 6 and 8 gauge can be purchased through electrical supply houses on the internet such as www.waytekwire.com , www.terminaltown.com,and www.delcity.net and have the correct wire or cable terminations. Welding cable is very flexible and makes excellent battery cables, it’s sold by the foot and can be purchased at welding supply stores.

9.OEM style electrical connectors can be purchased at: www.easternbeaver , www.vintageconnections.com , www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu , www.electricalconnection.com,and www.z1enterprises.com ,

10.The starter solenoid function as a heavy duty relay having large contacts to close when the start signal is given from the handle bar “start switch” and the motor turns the engine over to run.

11.When the internal return spring on the starter fails/breaks due to metal fatigue or vibration, the engine will turn over(or crank) when the key has been removed and will continue until the positive battery terminal is dis-connected from the solenoid. Just like if the large terminals were bridged with a screwdriver.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
01 Feb 2010 11:21 #345846 by MFolks
Here's some non adhesive harness tape that sticks to itself:

Dry Vinyl Tape From Tape Brothers
www.tapebrothers.com

Dry Vinyl Tapes are non-adhesive plasticized polyvinyl chloride film tape. Easy unwinding characteristics - tape clings firmly to it’s own backing for tight wrap. High elongation and good strength to permit trouble-free binding of wiring harnesses for the automotive industry. Dry vinyl tape also used for plating applications- high stretch, good “cling” characteristics and great conformability provide for superior masking in hard chrome and other plating applications.

DVT-76B 2 in. x 250 ft. Black Dry Vinyl Tape
2 in. x 250 ft. Black Dry Vinyl Tape
Our Price: $6.54 Per Roll

www.wiringharness.com
• Non-Adhesive Vinyl Harness Tape, made to the original mil-thickness.
• Just wrap it tightly around the wires and knot the end.
• 100 foot roll is enough to do 3 to 4 harnesses complete.
• Available in three different widths, as original.
• Correct for all years (1955 to Present).

Part # Description Price
R0058272 3/4" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $12.00
R0058276 1" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $13.00
R0067108 1-1/4" Vinyl Harness Tape, 100 foot roll $15.00

www.keefeperformance.com/silicone_tape.html
"36 Foot" roll of Self bonding silicone tape
High temperature silicone tape
This Mil-spec silicone tape is Rated up to 500+ degrees

Made of silicone rubber, this self fusing silicone tape will protect most all electrical wiring, connectors, hoses, spark plug boots and more from extremely high temperatures. The self vulcanizing process automatically begins when the two sides of the tape are put into contact. A catalyst on one side of the tape begins the bonding process as soon as wrapping takes place.
great for all electrical wiring, harness, cable, and hose applications
Colors: Red and Black
Exceeds MIL AA-59163 TYPE 1 & 2
ASTM-D 2137 / -65C
ASTM D-412
ASTM D-149
Electrical, Home, Auto, Truck, RV, Marine, Motorcycle, Military, Commercial, Industrial, Generator

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
01 Feb 2010 18:18 #345933 by S.P.75
Didn't get to checking out the starter button tonight, but
did pick up a new starter solenoid as the current one looked suspect. Figured can't hurt to upgrade parts.
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge. It will definately be useful in the weeks to come. I'm hoping to get this puppy on the road for the spring. Step 1, get it running. Step 2, get it running properly. Step 3, chop the rear-end, fab a seat, get new handle bars. Ultimately I want it to make it look somewhat like a bobber with a few twists.
But for now I am riding my 75 honda cb500t. (don't boo too much.)

More
01 Feb 2010 18:43 #345938 by MFolks
I love a good motorcycle electrical mystery! Don't be afraid to ask if you have problems.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Feb 2010 18:54 #345939 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Starter relay question
Got any pics of the Honda?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL